Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Apr 18, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #1,831 of 2,344
Quote:
If you check into many of the other Koss headphones they have a peak in the same area. The MV1 one has a larger peak than what the DJ100 has.
The graphs of the MV1 on the Goldenears website are disturbing.
Have to admit it but the DJ100 sounds to me like a mix between an AKG Q701 and an HD-650. The DJ100 still has more forward lower bass than both though, but barely. The upper mids remind me of the SR-225i.
The 65th aka "Annie" is closer to the DJ100 if you give the 65th more low bass, more warmth and more forward upper mids. The DJ100 definitely has more treble than the Annie and HD-650, but not the Q701.

Sorry for my english, but a peak is the opposite of a drop, right?
Isn't that a massive drop in this graph here below?
And yes, you're right, every drop creates a peak just beside (and the other way round), a huge drop at 5k will subjectively boosts the above and below frequencies.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7985007/Head-Fi/DJ100_response.jpg
For me, the closest phone to Q701 is HD-662F (kinda closed version of it), tdock, I bet you would love this headphone 
tongue.gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #1,833 of 2,344
Quote:
which of them do you like better sound wise? will the bass of the superlux dig deeper than that of the koss?

sub-bass is relatively weak compared to dj100, that is my only problem with the 661, but break-in is supposed to help (will see) and anyway it is not a deal breaker for my portable needs. one thing i wasn't aware of is how incredible convenient the auto-fit thingy is when on the go (with my other portables, i find myself always checking the position, the brackets and stuff).
and sofastreamer, i also think that the 662F' bass is almost perfect (a tad bassier than Q701), and some dude said (can't remember where) that at around 200 hours the sub-bass will definitely open up (same happened with my 701).
Can you confirm that statement?

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #1,834 of 2,344
as i am a non beliver in burn in, i did not notice that the 662F sub bass came out after hours. but to my ears it is perfect also. i would like that exact same sound of the 662F in a portable can.

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #1,835 of 2,344
Quote:
as i am a non beliver in burn in, i did not notice that the 662F sub bass came out after hours. but to my ears it is perfect also. i would like that exact same sound of the 662F in a portable can.

the break-in (which is something different than the burn-in) is a simple mechanical process.
thus, it isn't a "believe it or don't believe it" thing.
since a headphone driver is basically a shock absorber (think of a car suspension system), its properties are going to change over time if it is stimulated. but it's also true that i didn't notice any sound changes with some brands/models (for example my DT-880, Philips X1, Senn HD-25, not to mention the infamous beats...).
In other cases, the changes are spectacular. The AKG 701 series is a school case. I couldn't believe how my Q701's sound changed (it settled at about 1200 hours though). In particular the bass quantity and the vocals, which went from horrible ("telefon voice") to outstanding (live performance in front of you).
after 12 hours, i have already noticed some changes with my 662F. best thing to do is to focus on a particular sound or noise in a song. personally, i focus on a particular guitar string noise (always the same) (not the chords, riffs, ...). right out of the box, it sounded veiled or something and now after 12 hours it sounds the same as with Q701. i'm 90% sure that in this case it is not brain burn-in, but well... i may be completely wrong... 
smile_phones.gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #1,836 of 2,344
Quote:
interesting, i do have the 662F also and had the dj100s. i am a basshead, and bass on the 662F is satisfying for me, while bass quantity an dj100 was not.

Ha, ha I'm officially an idiot. I got the Superlux as an birthday present a couple of years ago. This was before I had much experience in Hifi and my "rig" was ATH-AD700 and no amp. The 662f's I got had "upgraded" pads on them (velours, brand unknown) and the bass is gone! Having little experience at the moment (and with the VERY bass light AD700) I thought the way they sounded was right and did'nt care for them so I put them at the childrens computer and have not listened much to them since. 

You're post made me thinking that something has to be wrong so I got the 662f's and put on a pair of HiFiMan leather pads (can't find the stock pads anymore) and DAMN! new phones. Now I can easily understand why these has been so hyped.

You're right about the bass, very nice.
The good thing is that I now have another pair of great cans in my collection, thank you sofastreamer
beerchug.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #1,839 of 2,344
Quote:
Where can I get these Auray pads? I see it on amazon for 19.95 + 5.29 Shipping. Is there any place cheaper than amazon?

Only other place is B&H found here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/886945-REG/Auray_epd_mdr7506_Deluxe_Velour_Earpads_Pair.html

May 2, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #1,840 of 2,344
My first review is now up!
http://www.head-fi.org/products/koss-pro-dj-200/reviews/8893

hope my experience with the Koss Pro DJ 200 is a help to anyone out there. And thanks tdockweiler for bringing this underdog to my attention. Money well spend!

May 6, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #1,841 of 2,344
So, I've finally found a store that lets you try on headphones in Canada (well, I wan't really actively searching for one but found one nonetheless) and in the store I tried out the super-expensive parrot zik. I expected to have my mind blown by the sound quality in comparison to the $50 PRO DJ's and the cheap Xonar DG amp I got and was severely dissapointed. Yes, it sounded better but only marginally (the noise-cancellation wasn't too shabby) and definitely not something worth $400. Maybe the koss itself is just really good which is why the zik doesn't sound much better but I now see how some audiophiles over-exaggerate minor differences in headphones

May 7, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #1,843 of 2,344
In the under $100 price range, there are many way better cans than the Koss DJ 100.
The Koss are far from audiophile cans. I paid almost $100 for them (in Europe), which is to much.
The more I listen to them, the more I find them mediocre. They sound so artificial and fatiguing. Vocals are horrible. 
frown.gif

The name itself says it all: PRO DJ 100! Those are NOT professional headphones, neither DJs headphones. Don't trust the so-called pro gear
rolleyes.gif
. IMO, the Dj 100 were made for teenies: dark and boomy, and "PRO" branded...
I'm really disappointed and, by reading my private messages, I can tell you that I'm not the only one... Typically over-hyper / over-rated headphones.

Among many other hidden beauties, Superlux 661 ($30, portable), 662F ($30, monitoring), 681 EVO ($30, home listening) are what I call budget kings. I bought the three of them for less than $100 shipping included (100!) and they sound 100x better than the Pro DJ thing. 
L3000.gif

I'm not bashing, that's just my opinion [size=small]and my s[/size][size=small]tandards might be different than someone else's. [/size]
biggrin.gif

cool.gif

May 7, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #1,844 of 2,344
In the under $100 price range, there are many way better cans than the Koss DJ 100.
The Koss are far from audiophile cans. I paid almost $100 for them (in Europe), which is to much.
The more I listen to them, the more I find them mediocre. They sound so artificial and fatiguing. Vocals are horrible. 
frown.gif

The name itself says it all: PRO DJ 100! Those are NOT professional headphones, neither DJs headphones. Don't trust the so-called pro gear
rolleyes.gif

. IMO, the Dj 100 were made for teenies: dark and boomy, and "PRO" branded...
I'm really disappointed and, by reading my private messages, I can tell you that I'm not the only one... Typically over-hyper / over-rated headphones.

Among many others hidden beauties, Superlux 661 ($30, portable), 662F ($30, monitoring), 681 EVO ($30, home listening) are what I call budget kings. They
sound 100x better 
and are less than half the price (here in Europe).

I'm not bashing, that's just my opinion 
[size=small]and my s[/size]
[size=small]tandards might be different than someone else's.[/size]

Currently blown away with my new JVC HA-S400 which cost me only $25. Beats my Superlux and other previous headphones that cost a lot more. I haven't really touched my other headphones after acquiring it and its more likely killed my itch to buy more expensive headphones. I'll probably buy another one for backup. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back