Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Feb 13, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #1,516 of 2,344
Quote:
I just bought a pair of these headphones and I am loving the way they sound but I feel that they will really shine with some amplification. I have been debating between the Schiit Modi/Magni or the Aune T1 or the Little Dot MK II. This will be my primary work listening station, I listen to a lot of Tool or Queens of the Stone age type rock music. This will be hooked up to my Mac Pro. If anyone has tested any of these amps with the Koss pro dj100 I would love to hear your feedback.

I have the Magni and the Little Dot I+ and they're both very nice with the DJ100. Maybe I prefer the LD, but I'm not sure yet. 

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #1,517 of 2,344
Little Dot might be a good match?  I was a BIG fan of the MKI  Non + Version of their portable.  Might be my favorite Portable amp ever.  Dip Sockets, 500m At 32ohm , Battery lasted about 20Hrs.  It finally died on me after about 4 yrs of daily use...It was a totally great amp.  Not so sure about the + version...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/284847/review-of-the-little-dot-mk1-portable-headphone-amplifier

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #1,519 of 2,344
Quote:
I think I have settled on the Little Dot I+ its in my price range and seems to have some good reviews. Now what DAC to get for it???? Decisions Decisions 

I'd suggest the ODAC, but it's around $150. You could also try the Fiio E7. Based on memory, it seemed flatter than the E10 I heard.

There is also the Schiit Modi, but I can't suggest it since I've not heard it yet. I'm sure it's very good.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #1,520 of 2,344
Quote:
I'm a sucker for the HM5 pads.

They're usd 17 for the pair with worldwide free shipping:

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphones/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc

I've wondered about these?  Hows the fit?  They look deeper as well...

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #1,521 of 2,344
Quote:
I've wondered about these?  Hows the fit?  They look deeper as well...

They fit very well.

Since they're oval it looks a little bit strange but fit, comfort and performance is excellent.

There's a picture somewhere in this thread but I'm to lazy to find it
dt880smile.png

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #1,523 of 2,344
Quote:

how do these effect the sound of the TBSE1/Pro DJ's ??

anyone else try them?

Katun did a short comparison here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571216/koss-pro-dj-100-the-budget-king/660#post_8535077

I tried to buy some HM5 pads from mp4nation but my card was declined (had money in there) and I got a call from the Chase Fraud Prevention center. Apparently my stupid bank thinks 50% of international orders are fraudulent or something. I tried after verifying transactions and still get declined. Stupid bank.

Edit: I just tried again two seconds again and it went through. Hopefully Air mail doesn't take a year. $17 for two pads. Not bad. Free airmail.

Too bad nobody had these in stock in the USA.

I really need to find the PERFECT pad for the DJ100. Stock pads are fine IMO.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #1,524 of 2,344
Pardon me, but this is a re-post from another thread.  I am considering the DJ100 and CAL for work headphones.  Which offer the better comfort and isolation?

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #1,525 of 2,344
Quote:
Pardon me, but this is a re-post from another thread.  I am considering the DJ100 and CAL for work headphones.  Which offer the better comfort and isolation?

DJ100 W/M50 pads= better isolation
Cal=Better long term comfort.

Both have good comfort for me but the CAL is fantastic. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #1,526 of 2,344
I bought another TBSE at Tuesday Morning for $50. They had at least 5 in stock!

Going to do some experimenting on it and maybe remove the plastic inside the cups and maybe line it with a small amount of Creatology foam or something similar.
Thick foam is a bad idea.

I wonder what would be worse? Exposed aluminum inside the cup or plastic? I guess I'll try it all and then use that thin foam. Maybe blue-tak.

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #1,527 of 2,344
Quote:

how do these effect the sound of the TBSE1/Pro DJ's ??

anyone else try them?

I thinks the soundstage get a tiny bit larger and that the overall sound is a little bit smoother. I actually prefere the sound with the HM5 pads and throwing in the much better comfort makes it a no brainer for me.

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #1,529 of 2,344
I don't know why, but oval pads seem to be best on the DJ100. I wonder why? I've yet to find any round pads that can match the soundstage and sound clarity of oval pads.

Last night I was listening to the DJ100 with stock pads. It's soundstage was nice and often feels like a semi-open headphone in some ways, but I kept having the feeling the DJ100's soundstage capabilities are limited by the stock pads. When you switch between the stock and M50 pads this is very clear. With M50 pads and some music it often feels as if sounds are coming at you from outside your head/headphones.

I bought some Audio Technica ATH-T300 headphones today (sound terrible so far) and tried the pads on the DJ100. They're very soft and not the usual pleather. They're kind of loose, but they sound really good! The lower mids with some music seem rather forward but not too badly. I think it could be the recording. I'm baffled by why the soundstage is so much better. Some stuff in the recording is much more distant, but similar to how it would sound on an open headphone.

I'm going to try those HM5 pads and I bet they'll be a good match. M50 pads are nice, but get hard.

Oh and with these T300 pads there is no loss of bass.Actually a bit more, but I haven't listened to them enough to know if it will be too much of a negative. M40 pads are kind of bassy too. My guess is that the closer your ears are to the driver the more bass you get.

What's funny about the T300 pads is that it almost sounds like you've got recessed mids, but it's just the recording. Some things sound more distant due to the improved soundstage.

Has anyone tried SRH-940 pads on the DJ100? Did it kill the bass? I tried SRH-1840 pads, but was never 100% sure if they're the same as SRH_940 pads.

BTW oval pads do reduce the warmth slightly. But that seems to make sense if you want a clearer sound (or an impression of it) and a larger soundstage. Reminds me of the differences between my Q701 and K702.

EDIT: Looks like T300 pads are a no-go. Too fatiguing.

I'm trying Pearstone MDR-V6 Velour pads and they're a little small but fit. Less roomy than M50 pads but oval. I'll report back later. The velour on them is kind of scratchy but not too bad. They're a bit deeper than stock pads.

I was using them on my Koss UR-22v. Generally most full sized $20 headphones are junk, but those are quite impressive for $18! It has sparkly treble, fairly relaxed mids and a mid-bass hump but lacks really low bass.

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #1,530 of 2,344
Here's an old photo of the DJ100 with Pearstone MDR-V6 velour pads:

Just as warm as stock! Trying to figure out the differences right now. I haven't used these pads regularly in years. Sounding much better than I remember! Possibly closer to stock than M50 pads.
I stretched them out a bit so they seem comfortable right now.

EDIT: Seems slightly warmer/fuller than stock and very smooth. Closer to how smooth my HD-650 is. Soundstage..not sure yet. Seems maybe slightly larger.

Not sure what causes them to make the DJ100 a bit smoother. Maybe the extra warmth? Right now I'm loving the sound and I hope it doesn't change.

Someone recently asked about sub-bass with pad upgrades.I think i'd have to go with the Pearstone velour pads.

I don't know if everyone would find the Pearstone pads comfortable though..

EDIT 5000: Wow, 1 1/2 hours into listening to the TBSE with Pearstone pads.The sound is so smooth and fatigue free.It's very interesting how when a headphone is so warm and smooth sounding it almost makes me sleepy
confused_face_2.gif
The TBSE now almost seems as warm as my HD-650 and this is with a very neutral amp/dac.

You'd think there'd be less treble, but yet it still is there. Soundstage isn't as larger as with M50 pads but still better than stock.

Some may not like the DJ100 to be any warmer or smoother than it already is.It also seems to take a slight edge off some harsh tracks. More so than stock.

UPDATE:

I also just tried the DJ100 with Pearstone pads right from the Clip+. It sounds a LOT  less congested than with stock pads (well amped DJ100 never sounds congested as long as you don't use a source that's too warm). Quite listenable. On some bassy songs there's a slight increase in bass quantity, but not enough to ruin it.

The bass from the Fuze seemed a bit more sloppy, but probably impossible since they share the same chip.

Have to say i'm REALLY impressed with these new pads! Had them on my head for a few hours and no issues with comfort. I hope the HM5 pads sound this good.

It's really nice how full sounding the DJ100/TBSE can get with good pads and a decent DAC/AMP. It's not caused by any sort of coloration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back