Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Feb 16, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #1,531 of 2,344
I've been listening to the DJ100 all night with Pearstone pads. As mentioned earlier, they make the DJ100 much warmer. It's almost so warm that it's at the point of being annoying. It does make everything smoother sounding.
Despite this I really liked the sound but which the warmth was reduced a little. Bass seemed a tad emphasized in some music.

I was trying to figure out why the M50 pads were not as bassy and so crystal clear sounding. I think M50 pads inside them have round circle cut-outs inside the edges. Not 100% sure of this, but the pads also have a foam backing.

I made 4 tiny holes on the top and sides of each Pearstone pad (undernearth the pads on the insides). The bass seems to now be just where it should and it's no longer excessively warm! Really interesting find for me.

I have a ton of stock DJ100 pads so i'm going to see if I can mod them to make them sound almost identical to M50 pads.

As you know, the DJ100 has a bunch of fabric covered circles around the driver.

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #1,532 of 2,344
I think the pearlstone pads would be a perfect match for me! And they also fit my v6's I believe. Sadly, I'm broke.

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #1,533 of 2,344
Double

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #1,534 of 2,344
I been listening to my DJ 100s w/ m50 pads for about a year now with the e7/e9 and I'm loving the sound. However, I'm wondering if were to upgrade to a modi/magi or o2/odac combo would I hear a huge difference from my current setup?

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #1,535 of 2,344
I wouldn't spend $200-300 on a different DAC/amp within the same relative price range (as what you've already got) and expect a big upgrade or huge differences...

You're better off spending the same amount of money on different headphones IMO; not meant as a dig on the DJ100 btw, but no headphone does everything right and the biggest differences are always gonna come from headphones themselves (specially at this price range).

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #1,536 of 2,344
Quote:
I been listening to my DJ 100s w/ m50 pads for about a year now with the e7/e9 and I'm loving the sound. However, I'm wondering if were to upgrade to a modi/magi or o2/odac combo would I hear a huge difference from my current setup?

I don't think so. As much as I love the Magni, it's not a major improvement from the E9 (ok, maybe on paper). The Magni is also not as warm as the E9, but not a huge difference.

If you have other headphones you can try the ODAC. It really improves most of my headphones, but might be overkill for just the DJ100.

I have to say the E9 is perfect for the DJ100!

I think you'll see more improvements with the DJ100 from the ODAC than an amp upgrade.

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #1,537 of 2,344
Ok I tried modding my DJ100 stock pads (spares and I have a lot of them). It didn't really improve anything. Made it more fatiguing. I put little holes on the insides of the pads. Got a little more treble, but not worth it.

Stock Pearstone pads IMO make the DJ100 way too warm and gave it slightly farty bass. I stuffed some foam inside the edges and it made them even bassier. Even sub-bass was ridiculously increased and I hated it. I used strips of a "Magic Eraser" (foam cleaning product!) around the edges. The more you add, the bassier it gets. It reminds me of when I put the DJ100 driver inside an XB500 shell.

I tried every single combination of gear to make sure the excessive warmth of my Pearstone pads wasn't caused by something screwed up in my setup.

So as mentioned above I made a total of 4 small circle holes on the insides of the pads. Very tiny ones (size of an eraser head perhaps) and it's hard to get them perfect. I don't suggest this until you want to risk ruining the pads. Maybe some won't mind the excessive warmth without doing this. The difference between modded and not is very slight, but that's what it took to get the perfect amount of warmth (for my ears and preferences).

I was playing games today for 3 hours while listening to music with the TBSE with modded Pearstone pads. I'm extremely impressed. It's rather hard to get use to the TBSE sounding this much fuller and warmer sounding. It's not a huge difference though. The sound is much smoother and a tad more forgiving. This is all on transparent gear too that's not warm.

At the moment I'm just listening to a docked Ipod Touch 2G (IMO is nearly as good as my ODAC) to Headroom Micro. Magni sounds very similar, but a tad colder.

Today I also tried the DJ100 straight out of the Clip+ with Pearstone velour pads and I can't say I liked it that much. It only seems to work well with M50 pads or it sounds a bit too congested and sightly fatiguing. The bass is just rather sloppy with no amp. Not terrible, but it's easy to spot.

It seems the DJ100 loves the Ipod Touch since it's not warm at all to my ears. I'd say it sounds flat, but not warm.

You may need to stretch out the Pearstone pads a bit. They're not that roomy, but not uncomfortable. If you have large ears it may be a bad idea.

The TBSE/DJ100 with modded Pearstone pads is about as warm and smooth as the HD-650. It sounds exactly like what a closed HD-650 would be like, I should point out that my HD-650 is one without a large mid-bass hump and is not dark at all. It's also pretty crystal clear, but yet quite forgiving of bad recordings. The DJ100 will always have more forward mids.

The DJ100 gets more and more forgiving of bad/harsh recordings when it's made much warmer. Oh and despite all this warmth, there's not really a lack of treble. Just a bit smoother sounding.

The Pearstone pads are also not scratchy at all anymore. They do look a bit awkward on the DJ100 though.

Too bad the soundstage isn't as large as that of the M50 pads. I think with the M50 pads the brain is fooled into thinking it's larger due to more treble and less warmth.

EDIT: I bet bassheads could mod the DJ100 to make it work for them. Just need Pearstone pads and would have to experiment with lots of different materials on the insides. I know how much bass it was capable of when I used those XB500 pads and shell. Now I have to wonder what the XB500 driver sounds like without those bass monster pads. I think that is what makes them so bassy.

I'm pretty sure the Pearstone pads would fit the M50, but they might sound terrible. Velour pads for the M50!

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #1,538 of 2,344
LOL, I love messing around with these cans.  Not as much as the Doc tho
tongue_smile.gif

I have both the TBSE and DJ100,  So far this is the best set up for me.
On the DJ100 the M50 pads are the best!!  They have more Bass then then the TBSE and are a little darker sounding. The M50 pads give them just the perfect treble boost while making the Bass a tad deeper/tighter. The M50 pads on the TBSE make them have to much treble sizzle for my taste, plus the mids are too forward.  I've got some HM5's on the way as well as some Zomo (Round) Velours. 
On the TBSE I use this cable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Choseal-Q-354-6FT-Gold-1-8m-Male-to-Male-Audio-Cable-/261135707400?pt=US_Personal_CD_Players&hash=item3ccce6ad08
These are the same brand cables that ship with Little Dot/ C&C/ and I'm almost certain Fiio amps as well. Of course they are only 6 inches, and this is 6FT.  But it really is a GREAT cable.  Don't let the price fool you. It really is fantastic!!
 I also recommend this cable as well:  Yeah, it's a Monster, But it is really a great cable. If you can get it under $20 It really is a good deal. Double Helix etc, if that stuff matters to you?  Personally, I'd just pay the $20 at Target/Walmart etc, Just so you have a better feeling of getting a " Real One"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monster-iCable-800-Cable-ipod-iPhone-3-4-4S-5-Samsung-galaxy-iii-ii-HTC-3-5mm-/180981367169?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item2a23548181

Fingers crossed on the Zomo's,  I hope they fit? I have the HP700 here as well and both the DJ100/TBSE and Denon both messure at 3 1/2 inches.  So I'm taking one for the team.  $35 is A lot on a blind buy, but I'm doing OK $$$ wise so no problem trying it out!!

Here's what they look like on the HP700 (Not my Pics)

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #1,539 of 2,344
Quote:
LOL, I love messing around with these cans.  Not as much as the Doc tho
tongue_smile.gif

I have both the TBSE and DJ100,  So far this is the best set up for me.
On the DJ100 the M50 pads are the best!!  They have more Bass then then the TBSE and are a little darker sounding. The M50 pads give them just the perfect treble boost while making the Bass a tad deeper/tighter. The M50 pads on the TBSE make them have to much treble sizzle for my taste, plus the mids are too forward.  I've got some HM5's on the way as well as some Zomo (Round) Velours. 
On the TBSE I use this cable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Choseal-Q-354-6FT-Gold-1-8m-Male-to-Male-Audio-Cable-/261135707400?pt=US_Personal_CD_Players&hash=item3ccce6ad08
These are the same brand cables that ship with Little Dot/ C&C/ and I'm almost certain Fiio amps as well. Of course they are only 6 inches, and this is 6FT.  But it really is a GREAT cable.  Don't let the price fool you. It really is fantastic!!
 I also recommend this cable as well:  Yeah, it's a Monster, But it is really a great cable. If you can get it under $20 It really is a good deal. Double Helix etc, if that stuff matters to you?  Personally, I'd just pay the $20 at Target/Walmart etc, Just so you have a better feeling of getting a " Real One"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monster-iCable-800-Cable-ipod-iPhone-3-4-4S-5-Samsung-galaxy-iii-ii-HTC-3-5mm-/180981367169?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item2a23548181

Fingers crossed on the Zomo's,  I hope they fit? I have the HP700 here as well and both the DJ100/TBSE and Denon both messure at 3 1/2 inches.  So I'm taking one for the team.  $35 is A lot on a blind buy, but I'm doing OK $$$ wise so no problem trying it out!!

Here's what they look like on the HP700 (Not my Pics)

I have my HM5 pads on the way too. I hope they're at least as good as M50 pads. Who knows..maybe they'll sound as good as these Pearstone pads.

The TBSE isn't too picky about cables as long as it has good shielding. I have that Monster one but I think it's defective and cuts out on my TBSE's jack.

My favorite cable is this one:

http://www.headphone.com/accessories/cardas-2m-mini-to-mini-cable.php

It's pricey, but I got it on sale for $35 and would have paid full price. The one I have is much better built than the one in the link. I like it because it doesn't tangle at and it's better than stock.
Costs as much as I paid for my TBSE though
biggrin.gif

When I use my HD-650 I use it as my main interconnect.

I know some think it's all snake oil, but I believe in cables (mostly changes in tone due to shielding and capacitance).

I still want to make a 6' TBSE cable with Mogami W2893. That's what my HD-598 uses and it's my favorite wire. Only 60 cents per foot too I think.

I've said it earlier, but this Ipod Touch 2G isn't really that much worse than the ODAC as long as it's docked to my main amp.

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #1,540 of 2,344
Yeah those Cardas Cables are good. I know a few years ago people really loved the small Mini's to put between their portables.
I'm not a big cable guy either, My ears can't tell a $5 from a $500 cable.  I guess if you can afford it why not?   For me the upgrade isn't worth it, Subtile changes at best for my ears.

I use a 3G touch, I agree it's not a bad sounding unit.  Everyone raves about those 5.5's (I think mainly because of the Name of the internal dac), But for me the best ipod was the 2 or 3rd nano.  Those things sounded really great.

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #1,541 of 2,344
Hey, I just came across these and was hoping if you guys think they would fit me well. I'm currently using a titanium HD sound card, and ad700's. I want a set of headphones that offer more bass then the ad700's but nothing not bass that overpowers the mids or highs.

Would these have more bass then ad700s?
Do they need amp? or is a titianium HD enough?
I was also looking at takstar 80s, soundmagic hp100, and dt770's but I found these at a really good price point that seem to fit the bill. I really need closed cans

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #1,542 of 2,344
Quote:
Yeah those Cardas Cables are good. I know a few years ago people really loved the small Mini's to put between their portables.
I'm not a big cable guy either, My ears can't tell a $5 from a $500 cable.  I guess if you can afford it why not?   For me the upgrade isn't worth it, Subtile changes at best for my ears.

I use a 3G touch, I agree it's not a bad sounding unit.  Everyone raves about those 5.5's (I think mainly because of the Name of the internal dac), But for me the best ipod was the 2 or 3rd nano.  Those things sounded really great.

I bought an Ipod Video 5.5 from my mom that's supposedly the best sounding Ipod, but I think it sounded bad.The Ipod Touch is much flatter too. The 5.5 supposedly has rolled off bass, forward upper mids and is supposed to be warmer sounding.

I hope the 7th gen Ipod Class (the latest) sounds similar to my Ipod Touch 2G. I got this 32gb one for dirt cheap as a gift (right when the 3G came out), but the headphone jack broke.

I'm kicking myself for selling off my old 120gb Ipod.

I can't believe how much the new Ipod Nano costs. Too bad the Ipod Touch doesn't support FLAC or external memory cards.

BTW I've heard the Ipad works with the ODAC with the Camera Connection Kit...not sure how that'd sound..

I'm too broke to own an Ipad and i'd probably never use it. 16gb isn't enough room for me either...

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #1,543 of 2,344
Quote:

I bought an Ipod Video 5.5 from my mom that's supposedly the best sounding Ipod, but I think it sounded bad.The Ipod Touch is much flatter too. The 5.5 supposedly has rolled off bass, forward upper mids and is supposed to be warmer sounding.

I hope the 7th gen Ipod Class (the latest) sounds similar to my Ipod Touch 2G. I got this 32gb one for dirt cheap as a gift (right when the 3G came out), but the headphone jack broke.

I'm kicking myself for selling off my old 120gb Ipod.

I can't believe how much the new Ipod Nano costs. Too bad the Ipod Touch doesn't support FLAC or external memory cards.

BTW I've heard the Ipad works with the ODAC with the Camera Connection Kit...not sure how that'd sound..

I'm too broke to own an Ipad and i'd probably never use it. 16gb isn't enough room for me either...

Yeah I never liked the sound of the 5.5 either.  Agree'd on the touch, it is Very flat sounding.
Ditto on the ipad.  I ran out of room and just bought another Macbook...LOL,  1TB is enough room
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #1,544 of 2,344
Hey, I just came across these and was hoping if you guys think they would fit me well. I'm currently using a titanium HD sound card, and ad700's. I want a set of headphones that offer more bass then the ad700's but nothing not bass that overpowers the mids or highs.

Would these have more bass then ad700s?
Do they need amp? or is a titianium HD enough?
I was also looking at takstar 80s, soundmagic hp100, and dt770's but I found these at a really good price point that seem to fit the bill. I really need closed cans

Pretty much anything has more bass than AD700s, so you've got a wide range of options... :p I'm not even kidding, but as far as narrowing down your choices it's hard to say what you want since you're looking at very different headphones in very different price ranges.

The Beyers' bass can be a bit overpowering but it still has a better sound stage than the vast majority of closed headphones, so it's worth taking into account if you're gonna be gaming with them. As far as driving them off the Ti HD, depends on which version you get.

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #1,545 of 2,344
Quote:
Pretty much anything has more bass than AD700s, so you've got a wide range of options...
tongue.gif
I'm not even kidding, but as far as narrowing down your choices it's hard to say what you want since you're looking at very different headphones in very different price ranges.

The Beyers' bass can be a bit overpowering but it still has a better sound stage than the vast majority of closed headphones, so it's worth taking into account if you're gonna be gaming with them. As far as driving them off the Ti HD, depends on which version you get.

Looking for good all rounders with good mids/highs and more bass than ad700''s with decent isolation/sound stage. The koss dj100 seems pretty good in all regards, and its not very expensive if I don't love them. I listen a lot of edm music with female/male vocals. I want some bass presence but nothing overpowering. Any idea if I would like these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back