Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Feb 11, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #1,502 of 2,344
Quote:
Been listening to my HD-650 tonight for the last few hours. It really does remind me of how each song sounds like on the DJ100/TBSE. This is with my main desktop setup though.
Here's the thing though..the sound is softer, meaning the HD-650 seems to be taking off all those rough edges and making everything more boring. I mean it's almost making my sleepy. I love the HD-650 though! The DJ100 is more likely to get me into the music and if that's a coloration, then so be it. As much as I love the HD-650, it sure doesn't sound like a $500 headphone. Sorry! Remember I said I did like it! It's probably never going anywhere. Maybe I should get my HD-580 out of storage. I prefer that to the HD-600 by far and only because of some stupid grills changing the sound very slightly. Crazy I know. I haven't used my HD-598 in about forever..

I'm wondering if anyone who loves the DJ100 also has the 225i? I miss that Grado so much and prefer it to the 325i. I really need to buy it again. The 225i also has some addicting mids. I wonder if the 125i is closer to the 225i or the SR-80? I don't care for the SR-80 and find it to be a downgrade to the DJ100, but it does have nice mids.

I have a feeling i'd love the HF2, but maybe not. I can't imagine what the RS2 or RS1 sounds like. Hopefully not like the 325i. A Grado with a touch of warmth would be what I'd prefer.

Coincidentally, I've been listening to my 225's for the first time in months, and haven't viewed this thread in just as long... until now.

I do really really (really!) enjoy the TBSE1, but only because it is a great value for the $50-$120 price bracket. The mids are nice (as long as I haven't just switched from cans with forward mids, like the 225's). However, the mids on the TB's do sound a bit recessed to my ears (I'm using the M50 pads). But this isn't a negative as it renders them an easy non-fatiguing listen.... unlike the recessed mids on my DT 770's (for example), which keep me from getting lost in the music.

The TBSE1 are-what-they-are for me.... a nice portable can that I take when I travel, because my more fragile cans never leave the house.

Comfort being personal and all, I still can't imagine wearing them for 8 hours straight. The M50 pads have a slightly larger opening, and are a bit more comfortable than stock pads, but they start to irritate me at the 40 minute mark. No other issues with comfort aside from the smallish pads - the headband, weight and clamp are fantastic.

Again, I do enjoy these cans quite a bit, but don't see them coming close to the sound quality or addictiveness of the HD6x0's or Q701's. For their price, they are tough to beat though. I've auditioned tons of cans, and with regard to value, these are only bested by the Koss KSC75.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #1,503 of 2,344
I never saw that graph before and contrary to what you see, depending where on the spectrum that dip is, it won't be as noticeable as it looks.
It does seem to confirm my thoughts on a slight v-shape quality.
It wasn't the lower mids of the male vocal I described in my past post.
It was the tonality of the reverb but it is not a big deal.
The mids sound very neutral.
I consider these headphones at an excellent level of sound regardless.
That being said, I will pass them on to someone else,
as my preferred signature for my ears are more richer & mid centric. :)

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #1,504 of 2,344
Yeah that graph is pretty much crap.  I don't usually go by those things anyway. Hell just look at the Denon AHD1000 Vs. The AHD7000 they're basically the same.

After a little playing around with some pad swapping, I'll say the TBSE really sounds the best with the stock pads. I added some original M50 pads and didn't like the results.  The Bass becomes weaker, and it sounds way to crisp and lively.  It really brings out the Mids and Treble a little to much for my taste anyway. 
 The TBSE is already a bit cleaner then the DJ100.  Now the M50 pads on the DJ100 work well.  Really good here!!
The Bass is a little tighter and it really brings the mids and treble up to the TBSE  level(Stock).  Plus the soundstage gets wider.
 It could use a little more depth but really at $80 or less it's decent!!

So I say if you have the TBSE keep the stock pads, They're a bit on the cheap side but not bad. If you have the DJ100 switch over to the M50's..

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #1,505 of 2,344
Anyone has any other suggestions for m50 pad shops? All ebay ones are fake/overpriced, sweetwater's shipping is only $40, amazon doesn't ship to me, audio-technica's shop and just about everywhere else is sold out. Perhaps any other pad suggestions as all of the other ones in your review you said are all somewhat bad. The main thing I care about is the comfort because the current pads are way too small (something m50 size or bigger). I live in Canada btw.

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #1,506 of 2,344
Quote:
Anyone has any other suggestions for m50 pad shops? All ebay ones are fake/overpriced, sweetwater's shipping is only $40, amazon doesn't ship to me, audio-technica's shop and just about everywhere else is sold out. Perhaps any other pad suggestions as all of the other ones in your review you said are all somewhat bad. The main thing I care about is the comfort because the current pads are way too small (something m50 size or bigger). I live in Canada btw.

Don't know if they ship to Canada tho?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-Ear-Pads-Pair-For-ATH-M50-ATH-M50S-Headphones-/140912520265?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item20cf0a6c49

Also for those who want Velour, The Zomo Sony v700  pads fit as well.
They are 90mm with a 45mm opening!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zomo-MDR-V700EARPADVIOLET-Violet-Velour-Replacement-Ear-Pads-for-Sony-MDR-V700-/160852208525?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item257389eb8d
(The Zomo also fit the Denon HP700 Flawless- Which those suckers kick ass sound wise but that's another thread)

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #1,507 of 2,344
Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-Ear-Pads-Pair-For-ATH-M50-ATH-M50S-Headphones-/140912520265?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item20cf0a6c49

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zomo-MDR-V700EARPADVIOLET-Violet-Velour-Replacement-Ear-Pads-for-Sony-MDR-V700-/160852208525?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item257389eb8d
(The Zomo also fit the Denon HP700 Flawless- Which those suckers kick ass sound wise but that's another thread)

Those V700 velour pads are kind of pricey, but worth a try. Too bad they don't seem to come in black!
I also wonder if HDJ-2000 pads fit. Those are real leather, but probably not very deep. I'd love to find some pads that are deeper than stock pads and are round.
Memory foam pads would be amazing!

SRH-940 pads also fit but sound horrible (I had SRH-1840 pads, which should be 100% the same..I think).

MDR-V6 Pearstone pads work, but they're kind of scratchy and too bassy. I didn't try the mods on them though.

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #1,508 of 2,344
Quote:
Those V700 velour pads are kind of pricey, but worth a try. Too bad they don't seem to come in black!
I also wonder if HDJ-2000 pads fit. Those are real leather, but probably not very deep. I'd love to find some pads that are deeper than stock pads and are round.
Memory foam pads would be amazing!

SRH-940 pads also fit but sound horrible (I had SRH-1840 pads, which should be 100% the same..I think).

MDR-V6 Pearstone pads work, but they're kind of scratchy and too bassy. I didn't try the mods on them though.

Those V700 do come in black as well, 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zomo-MDR-V700EARPADBLK-Black-Velour-Replacement-Ear-Pads-for-Sony-MDR-V700-Head-/160852208384?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item257389eb00
I ordered the last red pair...HAHAA!!!  My Cable is red so why not keep the color's going?
I'll report once they get in..

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #1,509 of 2,344
Quote:

Front row seems like it doesn't ship to Canada plus I can't contact them and the zomo are $35 + $30 shipping which is almost 1.5x the price of the headphones themselves.

I don't understand why shipping is such a problem. My city is a mere 70-80km away from the border, not like it's in a middle of an ocean or something and yet shipping to Canada is a huge problem for everything.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #1,510 of 2,344
Quote:
Front row seems like it doesn't ship to Canada plus I can't contact them and the zomo are $35 + $30 shipping which is almost 1.5x the price of the headphones themselves.

I don't understand why shipping is such a problem. My city is a mere 70-80km away from the border, not like it's in a middle of an ocean or something and yet shipping to Canada is a huge problem for everything.

Dang, Ok if you can't find a set on the cheap that will ship to you I have a brand new set of Official pads I'll sell you if you cover the exact shipping.  I'll give them to you at my cost which was $21.  Shop around and if you are still coming up with nothing just drop me a line.  I have no problem shipping up to Canada...

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #1,511 of 2,344
I just bought a pair of these headphones and I am loving the way they sound but I feel that they will really shine with some amplification. I have been debating between the Schiit Modi/Magni or the Aune T1 or the Little Dot MK II. This will be my primary work listening station, I listen to a lot of Tool or Queens of the Stone age type rock music. This will be hooked up to my Mac Pro. If anyone has tested any of these amps with the Koss pro dj100 I would love to hear your feedback.

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #1,512 of 2,344
Quote:
I just bought a pair of these headphones and I am loving the way they sound but I feel that they will really shine with some amplification. I have been debating between the Schiit Modi/Magni or the Aune T1 or the Little Dot MK II. This will be my primary work listening station, I listen to a lot of Tool or Queens of the Stone age type rock music. This will be hooked up to my Mac Pro. If anyone has tested any of these amps with the Koss pro dj100 I would love to hear your feedback.

Never used those amps but I'll say the KOSS rock HARD with the Matrix M-Stage with LT1364.  Tools- Reflection has so much Authority, it's amazing!!!   Paired up with the Matrix I'd take the Pepsi Challenge with any Grado...And that's saying A Lot as Grado's are made for rock!!!

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #1,513 of 2,344
Quote:

I have the Magni and like it a lot. It's very transparent and works well with the DJ100/TBSE, but will not add any warmth, which is fine by me and I prefer this. I haven't used any of those other amps or the Modi DAC. I'm using the ODAC and it's perfect with every headphone I have.

Of course my favorite amp for the DJ100 is the Headroom, but of course that and the M-Stage are probably way overkill for JUST the DJ100
biggrin.gif

I also love the Fiio E9 with the DJ100, but it's not as transparent as the Magni and does have some slight warmth. The E9 could probably be found for under $88. I sold mine recently and only ended up getting under $65 for it. Yuck. Should have kept it.

Quote:
Never used those amps but I'll say the KOSS rock HARD with the Matrix M-Stage with LT1364.  Tools- Reflection has so much Authority, it's amazing!!!   Paired up with the Matrix I'd take the Pepsi Challenge with any Grado...And that's saying A Lot as Grado's are made for rock!!!

Still need to try it with the Schiit Lyr or Asgard 2. Maybe when I have more money. Lyr is tempting because I also love the HD-650. It's a little less fun to listen to than the DJ100, but no big deal.

In an unrelated not,e I tried my DJ100 again with an Ipod Touch with Fiio LOD to Total Airhead. It sounded a bit less clear than how it does with my main setup. It's not like the Airhead or Touch is warm either. Definitely not muffled sounding. I switched to a lower capacitance wire and it sounded a bit better. Weird.

It seems my TBSE likes silver plated copper more than my Q701. I destroyed an ALO SXC cable for my Q701 an converted it for use for my DJ100/TBSE. I think I traded away something for it but I don't want to know how much that thing costs retail!!

I need to find another portable amp that has a ton of power and is very transparent. I was thinking the C421 or maybe the Fiio E12. Since I don't use my headphones out of the box much, I don't use any of my headphones around the house much. It'd be nice to have a portable DJ100 setup that sounds as good as my main one. No such luck yet. I want the O2/ODAC sound in my pocket
biggrin.gif

Still thinking of getting another DJ100 and modding it by putting more holes in the cups down to the metal and maybe some felt or something in there. It has to be very thin. Too much junk in there changes the sound too much. Maybe I can remove all the plastic directly behind the driver and then place felt down or other material down instead.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #1,514 of 2,344
LMAO, yeah the Matrix might be a little overkill.  But hey it's my main home set up.  I'm also looking for a portable Amp, My sights were on the C&C or the E12...  Just haven't made up my mind.  I'm far from a Basshead so either might work.  From the reviews both seem like a good deal!!!    As a package it seems like the C&C might be a little better???????
Some ones review said he thinks the E12 is a little " Cold" sounding. But all the reviews say the C&C really has a fantastic Mid and Treble with a better soundstage but lacks Bass texture.
 Ahh, like I really need another Amp...LMAO...   I might just take my ass over the BB and buy a HD558...   I've been wanting it for awhile!!!

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #1,515 of 2,344
Quote:

I'm a sucker for the HM5 pads.

They're usd 17 for the pair with worldwide free shipping:

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphones/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back