Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Oct 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #1,036 of 2,344
Well I got my pair about a half hour ago and damn do these sound amazing with Radiohead, they track sounds really well in games, soundstage is pretty good with stock pads.

Its funny though, they kinda make my ears hurt a bit, also make them a bit sweaty, anyways whats the best way of making the stock pads comfortable without change to sound? Will they just break in? Anyways loving them so far and yeah vocals are amazing on these. Also what cord would you go with if you wanted a straight wire? Will any do? I was gonna order one off monoprice since they are like 2 dollars and I had to grab some stuff anyways from there, is that alright or should I go with something better, I don't need durable since its just at my PC.

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #1,037 of 2,344
Quote:
Well I got my pair about a half hour ago and damn do these sound amazing with Radiohead, they track sounds really well in games, soundstage is pretty good with stock pads.

Its funny though, they kinda make my ears hurt a bit, also make them a bit sweaty, anyways whats the best way of making the stock pads comfortable without change to sound? Will they just break in? Anyways loving them so far and yeah vocals are amazing on these. Also what cord would you go with if you wanted a straight wire? Will any do? I was gonna order one off monoprice since they are like 2 dollars and I had to grab some stuff anyways from there, is that alright or should I go with something better, I don't need durable since its just at my PC.

You could try to stretch the pads out slightly (while still on). It seems that some pads magically adjust to your ears after awhile. I don't know how, but my KRK KNS-6400 was painful for the first 3 days.

The best cable for them i've found is one at Target that's called the "GE Signature Pro". It's pricey at a whole $9, but worth it. It's silver and doesn't tangle. Goes well with the design of the TB for those that care.

At a Wal-Mart or elsewhere you can get an RCA brand one. They seem to make two varieties. One is thicker and seems to retain it's shape too much.

The GE brand non-signature pro is OK too.

Be careful with the Monoprice ones because they're WAY WAY too thick unless it's the one meant for portable or car use. The "Premium" versions they sell are like a snake.

For the people who don't mind spending extra money and believe cables help somewhat... I got a Cardas HP1 for $35 (on sale from $55) from Headroom. I would have paid extra just for the build quality. It never tangles and looks good. I won't explain the sound other than to say that yes, it's neutral.

What's funny is that I dismantled my Q701's Silver Plated Copper cable (I hate SPC on the Q701! Yuck..it was nice at first) for use on the DJ100/TB...I actually don't even use it. I imagine it retails for $150+, but I only traded for it
biggrin.gif

$150 cable for a $50 headphone! Wait until you see my $1000 headphone stand. It's gold plated. Only kidding..

Also.. don't ask me why, but if the cable on the TB is too thick it seems to make them bassier. Someone else can try to explain that one.

I still need to make a Belden 1192A cable for my Tony Bennett. It's good and cheap. $1.25 per foot or so.

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #1,038 of 2,344
Quote:
 I'm listening to my TBSE DJ100's and the first thing Im surprised at is how comfortable they feel stock. My last pair had just to much clamping force even after I left it on a small head sized kickball for a day or so. I ended up returning these because I had a short and the one side made godawful noise and was very stiff. Maybe that was it,idk. Im still burning these in but I have to say best $50 Ive spent on a pair of HP's.

The DJ100/TB for me was like a vice on my head for the first day. Not as bad as the HD-650 but close. Now it's perfectly fine. The stock pads are not as bad as I remember in comfort. I think it just varies between ear types. Some people have massively huge ears.

I bet those with tiny ears find the DJ100 too treble happy and lacking bass. I don't even know how you define a small ear. 1" long?
normal_smile .gif

I don't know why the sound can vary so much with positioning. I think it's just due to the pads being fairly shallow.

I'm tempted to go into Tuesday Morning today and see if they're still on sale. I'll then be able to compare the M40 pads to stock pads further.

BTW I find it just bizarre that some find these too trebly. I remember early on some claimed they were too dark. I actually prefer M50 pads mostly for the extra treble and sound clarity.

The signature is much less smooth without an amp for sure. That's one thing I noticed. They're perfect on my Clip+ though without one..

What's weird is that on my Fuze the mids are more forward yet it uses the same chipset somehow. Maybe the Fuze+ is still somehow less powerful than the Clip+.

I'm still hoping to someday be able to perfect an open DJ100. I did that once but it had a bit too much treble. It actually sounded like an HD-598 on steroids. Weird, I know.

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #1,039 of 2,344

Here's a picture of the area below the pads that I found. This may explain why the pads change the sound so much. Maybe something to do with covering those 15 vent holes.
Somehow oval pads work best. Why? No idea, but it's a bit strange.

I've come to the conclusion that modding the insides only degrade the sound or change it too much. You add any tiny amount of material in the cup and you've changed the signature slightly.
If you block the area behind those vents you also change the sound.

Modding the insides can shove the mids too much into your face or make them too bassy. The thinnest material possible is required.
I remember putting even a piece of Creatology foam in the cup and it seems to degrade the sound. Yet it's super thin.

Putting any dampening material on the magnet/driver is also a big no-no.

BTW did you know that a DJ100 driver can be fit inside a Grado Shell? Don't even need to remove the plastic. Nearly the same design.

I put the DJ100 driver inside an XB500 shell once..and it severely bloated the bass. All due to those weird pads. Hard to believe..

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #1,040 of 2,344
@I'm tempted to go into Tuesday Morning today and see if they're still on sale.

I was just in the Tuesday Morning two days ago to pick up the TB.  I just called ahead to make sure they had it and the person pulled it for me because they are locked up in the back out of sight.  Now thanks to you I am sorely tempted to pick up a Total Airhead amp and M50 pads.  And this all started out as a budget buy...

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #1,041 of 2,344
Dock,
     Are the m40 pads your favorite pad now or do still prefer the m50 pads?  Are the m40 pads more comfortable than the stock pads? 
The only thing I don't like about the stock pads is they make my ears sweat.

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #1,042 of 2,344
Hmm I was actually surprised by the grip on them, its actually rather perfect, much less grip then my Senn 25-1 II. I don't mind if the cord is big, these headphones are gonna stay indoors, I am more concerned with the sound quality the monoprice ones would put out. I rather not spend more if the sound of the monoprice is the same as that 9 buck cord. These will never leave my PC desk after all.

I find the treble fine so far, bass is present and not lacking really at all, mids are great, they sound great on my Xonar DG btw, 100% pleased with the results, was just listening to some Simon and garfunkel and Cranberries and they excelled at it. Played some Borderlands 2 and everything seemed great sound stage wise.

This one: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021812&p_id=5578&seq=1&format=2

There is also this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021816&p_id=9766&seq=1&format=2

Looks smaller, maybe fits better?

The issue is the one it came with is a bit to short, I feel like it pulling me to the back of my PC haha...

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #1,043 of 2,344
Quote:
Dock,
     Are the m40 pads your favorite pad now or do still prefer the m50 pads?  Are the m40 pads more comfortable than the stock pads? 
The only thing I don't like about the stock pads is they make my ears sweat.

I wish I had more time to listen to them! I haven't decided yet, but pretty sure the M40 pads are keepers for me just due to comfort and how they will get not hard like the M50 pads do. Someone said the M50 pads got hard due to sweat/oil, but it seems like they get harder when I leave them out in a cold room or something. Even when hard they don't bother me too much.

Somehow I like the M30 and M40 pads because they seem to have these sort of ridges that keep my ears cool. The official M30 pads are actually different than the V6 pads. The M40 pads do take away some of that front-row like effect the stock pads sometimes have. With the M40 pads it depends more on the recording.

Just a warning that all this comes down to preference. There's someone I know who doesn't like the M50 pads. M40 pads I like due to the improved soundstage and bass that's more like stock.

The stock pads have the warmest sound signature I think. Actually, the Pearstone has the warmest sound signature and the most bass perhaps. I liked them a year ago when I had these pads, but not so much now.

EDIT: M50/M40 pads are definitely more comfortable than stock pads. More room for your ears. The M40 pads are slightly less deep than M50 pads, but nearly the same. The M40 pads almost make the DJ100 feel as if you have huge open headphone sized pads on them! Yet they fit just fine. I should take some pictures. M40 pads are slightly more comfortable than M50 pads due to being slightly taller.

Quote:
Hmm I was actually surprised by the grip on them, its actually rather perfect, much less grip then my Senn 25-1 II. I don't mind if the cord is big, these headphones are gonna stay indoors, I am more concerned with the sound quality the monoprice ones would put out. I rather not spend more if the sound of the monoprice is the same as that 9 buck cord. These will never leave my PC desk after all.

I find the treble fine so far, bass is present and not lacking really at all, mids are great, they sound great on my Xonar DG btw, 100% pleased with the results, was just listening to some Simon and garfunkel and Cranberries and they excelled at it. Played some Borderlands 2 and everything seemed great sound stage wise.

This one: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021812&p_id=5578&seq=1&format=2

There is also this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021816&p_id=9766&seq=1&format=2

Looks smaller, maybe fits better?

The issue is the one it came with is a bit to short, I feel like it pulling me to the back of my PC haha...

Whatever you do, don't buy the first. It's REALLY thick and only usable for an interconnect cable. I use some of those for my amp. The 2nd one should be ok. Basically any high quality cable should be ok. The Monoprice stuff has always been good IMO.

Probably won't be any difference in sound between the Monoprice and the RCA/GE ones.

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #1,045 of 2,344
Dock said :EDIT: M50/M40 pads are definitely more comfortable than stock pads. More room for your ears. The M40 pads are slightly less deep than M50 pads, but nearly the same. The M40 pads almost make the DJ100 feel as if you have huge open headphone sized pads on them! Yet they fit just fine. I should take some pictures. M40 pads are slightly more comfortable than M50 pads due to being slightly taller.

Thanks Dock.  I ordered the m40 pads.  I will give a review when I get them.

Thanks Spardasieg. I ordered the thin cable.

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #1,047 of 2,344
Quote:
I'd like to get a pair of these just to see if tdockweiler is under the effects of some kind of brain numbing placebo

Does anyone remember when these came out? I'm pretty sure it was summer of 2010.
Koss released them around the same time as the UR-55, The Insider/Pulse and UR-55.
I just checked and the release date was April 2010. I believe it was possibly a Best Buy exclusive at first.

You know you've found a good headphone when you've been raving about it since 2010. It's just kind of ridiculous that i've been through 6-7 pairs (not defects!).
I just kind of find it hard to believe that it's just some randomly picked generic driver. I didn't realize how capable the driver was until I put it into an open enclosure.
Someone claimed Koss probably doesn't design their own headphones anymore, but I doubt this is true. I mean they've been making headphones since what...1950s
It's almost like everything in the cup and under the pads is done for a specific reason. I can't even mod them without screwing up it's sound. I do wish the pads were a bit better though.

I still remember how I was so impressed with the UR-55 that I figured I'd try the DJ100. Drove about 2 hours total (1 hour each way) just to get a DJ100 since they were impossible to find online.
Who would have known it'd turn out to be a favorite?

BTW I still want to try the DJ100 with a hybrid tube amp. Might be interesting...

I do want an open headphone from Koss that's less portable (full sized) and ultra comfortable. Something with an DJ100 like sound or close to the 598's signature, (but clearer of course). I bet Koss could do it easily for under $200.
Koss just needs to work a little more on comfort. Then again, all this stuff would cost more money.

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #1,048 of 2,344
Quote:

Does anyone remember when these came out? I'm pretty sure it was summer of 2010.
Koss released them around the same time as the UR-55, The Insider/Pulse and UR-55.
I just checked and the release date was April 2010. I believe it was possibly a Best Buy exclusive at first.

You know you've found a good headphone when you've been raving about it since 2010. It's just kind of ridiculous that i've been through 6-7 pairs (not defects!).
I just kind of find it hard to believe that it's just some randomly picked generic driver. I didn't realize how capable the driver was until I put it into an open enclosure.
Someone claimed Koss probably doesn't design their own headphones anymore, but I doubt this is true. I mean they've been making headphones since what...1950s
It's almost like everything in the cup and under the pads is done for a specific reason. I can't even mod them without screwing up it's sound. I do wish the pads were a bit better though.

I still remember how I was so impressed with the UR-55 that I figured I'd try the DJ100. Drove about 2 hours total (1 hour each way) just to get a DJ100 since they were impossible to find online.
Who would have known it'd turn out to be a favorite?

BTW I still want to try the DJ100 with a hybrid tube amp. Might be interesting...

I do want an open headphone from Koss that's less portable (full sized) and ultra comfortable. Something with an DJ100 like sound or close to the 598's signature, (but clearer of course). I bet Koss could do it easily for under $200.
Koss just needs to work a little more on comfort. Then again, all this stuff would cost more money.

what is the normal price on these? i found them at 67$ in a local shop,

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #1,050 of 2,344
I apologize that I'm responding so late to the couple of people that asked for pictures... I had stopped keeping up with this thread and only just saw the posts.
And I didn't realize that "under the pads" could be so ambiguous as to require pictures, but...

That's 2 cotton balls per ear, because one rolled out extended right about half of the circle.

The same thing done on my Fostex T50RP. That's the LFF headband suspension mod with a simple sheet of felt; it's ridiculously comfortable 
biggrin.gif

But I would like to emphasize: I have rather large ears, so this is more or less a necessity if I don't want to experience what most normal people would hear when they squish headphones against their heads.

I think as tdock pointed out, the space between your ears and the drivers has a great effect on the perception of especially the treble and the bass. I think the general trend is that if it is too close, the treble (and the general sound) gets very harsh, and the soundstage is destroyed. If it is too far away, the bass gets very boomy and overpowering, and the treble and mids may get recessed. I could be wrong on the effects the distance has, I didn't really spend time experimenting with it.

So while this works for me, it may have negative effects on other people. Especially on the DJ100, tdock's pic earlier shows the vents that are present on the baffle, and the cotton balls would block that; I don't know how that changes the sound, but I personally don't really have a choice, as the stock pads (or any ear pads, for that matter) are simply too shallow for my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back