Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Oct 8, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #1,021 of 2,344
Quote:
If you really want them start checking with people you know in the states. If you can find someone to pick them up for you in store they could probably ship them to you for a reasonable rate. Maybe even a fellow Head-Fier could pick a pair up for you, I had to purchase mine online.

Edit: I have a Rotel RSX-1055 receiver that does not have a headphone plug, does anyone know if I could hook my TBSE up to it via a Y adapter (1/8" to RCA left/right)? 

No. Dont try it, You can get decent HP amps pretty cheap. A Fiio 7 for example will cost you between twenty five and thirty dollars at Amazon. You dont need a real powerful amp to enjoy these HP's

Oct 8, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #1,022 of 2,344
Spent another few hours listening to my DJ100/TB with M40 pads again. Within the first 2 minutes, this time I got the impression that the foam I put inside the pads was causing the bass to kind of muddy up the sound, which should never ever happen. I took it out and it was much better.

I guess previously the M40 pads fooled my ears into thinking the mids were less forward. This really isn't the case. It's just that vocals and other instruments are now more accurate to the recording. If vocals or other specific sounds are spaced back in the recording, they're now more likely to be more accurate. I guess less of an upfront like sound, but it doesn't ruin them. Any vocals that are recorded to be upfront are still that way.

I actually think the M40 pads offer more bass than M50 pads! Not much more and I don't know how it's done. I did a little test where if I force more clamping force with my hands, the bass has more volume. I guess when your ears are closer to the driver you get more bass. Also, if there's a ton of air between the driver and your ear, the bass can suffer.

The M40 pads give you more room than the M50 pads and they're slightly taller. I think though that they're a tiny bit less deep or maybe the foam flattens a little. I love the feel of the pads better than that of the M50 pads.

The M40 pads have a much better soundstage than the M50 pads. They're actually pretty close to sounding semi-open or open now. Pretty similar in size to the HD-600 now. I know that's hard to believe. This was just with my Xbox 360 connected to my E9.

I did some testing tonight and am still impressed with the sub-bass on these. I tested them with gaming and they had more sub-bass than all my other headphones. The one with the 2nd most was the KRK KNS-8400! Yeah really! Even over the HD-600 and Q701. I still don't think they found like they have any large mid/upper bass humps. Maybe to some. I do think they're warm and full sounding still though. Not excessively warm. About the same as my modded HD-600 (less warm than stock).

I noticed something weird about many game soundtracks. The KRK KNS-8400 and DJ100 with M40 pads can often make them sound considerably less clear than my Q701 and HD-600 (modded). This is just that they're actually MORE revealing of the real sound quality I think.

It's kind of amusing that in Fallout 3 I was wandering around in some subway tunnels. There's some low bass rumbling sounds that just barely even registered on my AD700, KRK KNS-6400 and new Koss UR-22v. The HD-600 and Q701 did pretty well. The HD-600 very slightly better than the Q701. To be more revealing, my Q701 and HD-600 just needs a better source than the Xbox 360.

The low bass quantity of my DJ100 w/m40 pads is a little bit better than my modded HD-600 with HD-650 cable. HD-600 still has more mid-bass perhaps.

BTW if you want the perfect portable source for the TB/DJ100, i'm now convinced it's the Clip+. I think the Clip+ might be very slightly warm (compared to my ODAC) and that might help the sound even further. Unlike some external amps, the bass doesn't seem to roll off that much on the Clip+. It still improves a ton with my ODAC and Micro Amp.

I also noticed Koss rates these as 10hz to 25khz. They actually go much lower than 10hz. Try it out! My KRK KNS-8400 and Dj100 actually have the best sub-bass out of all the rest of my headphones. Some even claim both of these are bass light! Rather just not bass emphasized. OK, maybe slightly.

So..if you don't think a closed headphone can fool your brain into thinking it's open, try the DJ100 with M40 pads and a very revealing DAC and amp
biggrin.gif
Even the Clip+ is enough for me.

I also discovered if the DJ100 sounds bad (for me) it's usually the stupid recordings fault . I really do think these pads make it even more detailed and revealing, but still fun to listen to.

BTW it's amazing how many tracks sound really thin through the entire recording. It's easy to often be fooled and blame the headphones. Sometimes a headphone is good at making these crappy tracks better than they really are (my HD-600 does this). I could pick out two tracks on my DJ100 and you'd listen to them and think they're being played on two different headphones. One like a DT-880 and the other on an HD-650! I know this sounds crazy. I've never experienced this really much until I got my ODAC and these new M40 pads. Maybe a little with the DT-880. Sometimes it's like you're hearing the other person's gear
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #1,024 of 2,344
I tried the cotton ball thing for both the stock and the M50 pads. While my jaws didn't actually drop this time, the sound is much better now: much cleaner, more natural, much better soundstage... everything that goes wrong when you squish a closed headphone against your head got fixed. Initial impressions are that (with cotton balls) the M50 pads have much more bass, but the rest of the frequency smooths out to a warmer, very slightly recessed tone, while the stock pads give a more engaging mid and treble with arguably more balanced bass. I still need to do some more comparisons.

^ Where exactly did you stuff the cotton balls? Can you post a pic? I'd like to give it a try.

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #1,025 of 2,344
Quote:
^ Where exactly did you stuff the cotton balls? Can you post a pic? I'd like to give it a try.

Ditto for me, I would love to have some visuals to try and copy.

Dock,
Could you give a quick rundown of your opinion on the entry level amps you have tried. I realize that might be asking a lot maybe you could just refresh me on your opinion of the Headroom Total Airhead, its on sale for $47 atm and I was strongly considering purchasing it. The thing is, in ClieOS' Sub $100 Portable Amp Shootout thread he rated the Airhead/Bithead very poorly. I would be using this mostly with my PC/Xbox dolby headphone setups. Thanks in advance 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #1,026 of 2,344
I've had no problems using my TBH amp with my DJ100 or any full size headphone I have. I think the portable amp shootout was saying there were better amps for IEM's. I've used it on 32 ohm  HP's with no problem using my computer and Ipod with a  line out adapter. I'm actually burning in my new pair of TBSE using it right now.

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #1,027 of 2,344
Quote:
I've had no problems using my TBH amp with my DJ100 or any full size headphone I have. I think the portable amp shootout was saying there were better amps for IEM's. I've used it on 32 ohm  HP's with no problem using my computer and Ipod with a  line out adapter. I'm actually burning in my new pair of TBSE using it right now.

Great! Thanks for your input, I wasn't sure how the IEM vs HP would have changed ClieOS' opinion of the amp because most of the negatives he had on the amp seemed to be from interference and something to do with bass rolling off that I didn't understand. 

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #1,029 of 2,344
Quote:
Ditto for me, I would love to have some visuals to try and copy.

Dock,
Could you give a quick rundown of your opinion on the entry level amps you have tried. I realize that might be asking a lot maybe you could just refresh me on your opinion of the Headroom Total Airhead, its on sale for $47 atm and I was strongly considering purchasing it. The thing is, in ClieOS' Sub $100 Portable Amp Shootout thread he rated the Airhead/Bithead very poorly. I would be using this mostly with my PC/Xbox dolby headphone setups. Thanks in advance 
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW obviously I don't agree with his impressions and think it's not given a fair review. I don't want to open a new can of worms on this. Headroom and other sites claim the output impedance of the Airhead is around 2ohm.
It doesn't change the DJ100 in any way really. I've yet to have it screw up any of my headphones, but most everything is over 35ohm. Even my KRKs sound fine with it.

Below is is all my opinion and I hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings if they liked that combination
biggrin.gif

Fiio E5. Great, but slightly rolled off low bass. I think it was like under 1db at 15hz or something. You can find out how badly it rolls off on the NWASDF Guy's website. Fiio E6 should have less bass roll off.
Here's the thing though..I only like the E5 when I don't use a LOD cable from my devices. Not sure why. This sounds amazing with a Sansa Clip+ or Ipod Touch 2G using a headphone out plug.
Even with the Sansa Fuze I prefer the headphone out to amp rather than LOD cable.

Fiio E10
Hated this for my HD-598 and DJ100. Made them sound almost muffled and too dark. Even as just a DAC I didn't like it. Some may like it. It actually made my HD-598's mids very fatiguing! Wow.

Fiio E11
Not bad, but seems to take away something from the mids of the DJ100. Pretty good soundstage though. Even with my 598 it seems to give me more distant mids than straight from my Clip. I like this combination, but wish I would have skipped it.

Total Airhead
Basically this is exactly how the DJ100 should sound at it's best when well amped. I don't hear any bass roll-off at all. The mids are nice and full and the entire signature is very smooth. Nothing really sticks out for me.
This thing even sound amazing with my HD-600 and Q701. I prefer this with the headphone out of my Clip+. I use this all the time with my HD-600 and Q701 without complaints. Airhead, Clip+ and Q701 has such an impressive soundstage. Don't know why.

Fiio E9
This is the best entry level desktop amp i'd suggest for the DJ100. It's far better than any other Fiio amp i've heard. The soudstage of the DJ100 is increased and the DJ100's stock sound signature is retained. Make sure to use the larger jack only. The DJ100 seems to care less about the 10 ohm output.

Best advice is to not use an amp that's too dark or too bassy. Even if the device is too warm, it may cause issues. Someone once said the Airhead is warm and bassy and I don't agree at all. Not enough for me to care.

Fiio E7

Pretty clear, but to my ears seemed to have fairly edgy treble and thin mids with the DJ100. I absolutely hated this combo with the E9. I didn't burn in the E7 (can't say I believe or don't believe in it).

Nuforce Icon Mobile
This has shockingly bad measurements, but somehow it sounds pretty good with the DJ100. This is collecting dust at the moment and the E5 is much better IMO. The amp part is much weaker than the E5 it seems.

For those with no plans for using the DJ100 or their amp as a portable, i'd suggest the Fiio E9. I've found it quite neutral with no major coloration.

Now for DACs, the DJ100 is picky with that too. My favorite for the DJ100 has been the ODAC for sure. The HRT MSII was OK, but almost made the DJ100 too dark and bassy.

Headroom Micro Amp + ODAC and the DJ100 pretty much wows me, but kind of overkill for a $75 headphone
biggrin.gif

Any headphone amp that's good for the HD-598 should be ok for the DJ100. This has been my experience.

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #1,030 of 2,344
Quote:
I tried putting cotton balls under the stock pads and I did not like the sound.  Sound was less clear.

My idea was that the amount of air between the driver and your ears seems to tune the amount of treble you hear. When your ears are closer to the driver (and less air) there is more treble too.
There could be a chance that if a person had huge ears the DJ100 COULD sound muffled. Highly unlikely though.

One idea I had instead of buying M50/M40 pads was to buy some tubing at home depot and place it around the edge of the pads. Kind of like the old "Phat Pad" mod for the ATH-AD2000.
It only costs $2 or so too. Kind of ridiculous to do this, but I wonder what it sounds like!

I think the Pearstone Velour pads are too bassy because your ears have like no room inside the pads really.

This treble idea came from using K240 Studio and SRH-840 pads on the DJ100. Those both killed the sound IMO. SRH-1840 pads (same as 940 pads I think) also killed the bass.

The M40 pads are really tall, but your ears are closer to the driver than M50 pads. This may be why you get good treble and a little extra bass. It doesn't really ruin the mids at all.

Hopefully someday someone can measure the DJ100 with different pads.

Stretching the stock DJ100 pads out a little can actually improve treble too. Weird.

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #1,032 of 2,344
Quote:
Dock, your awesome, thanks so much for the detailed reply and all the information you relay to your fellow head-fiers. 

BTW don't forget to try the DJ100 with Fallout 3 and Skyrim.
biggrin.gif

I think Fallout 3 must be my favorite game of the last 10 years. Only up to about 300+ hours so far.
I wonder if i'll ever get sick of it..

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #1,034 of 2,344
Quote:
If you really want them start checking with people you know in the states. If you can find someone to pick them up for you in store they could probably ship them to you for a reasonable rate. Maybe even a fellow Head-Fier could pick a pair up for you, I had to purchase mine online.

I would, if i had known where to start looking. That is a crazy good price for a pair of spare cans. To bad it's only "over there" :- (
B!

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #1,035 of 2,344
 I'm listening to my TBSE DJ100's and the first thing Im surprised at is how comfortable they feel stock. My last pair had just to much clamping force even after I left it on a small head sized kickball for a day or so. I ended up returning these because I had a short and the one side made godawful noise and was very stiff. Maybe that was it,idk. Im still burning these in but I have to say best $50 Ive spent on a pair of HP's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back