Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Oct 14, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #1,066 of 2,344
Quote:
hmm, the op says they require like 100hrs of burn in, idk though still on the fence for a portable closed i guess. i hope you're not one of those people that just think whatever they buy is amazing and anything else is just dismissed as bad.

People just have different sound signature preferences. Not everyone would like these. Dark and congested these are not...
Most pairs don't need burn in, but some will need 3-5 days of use before being at their best. That's actually 8 hours shoved in a drawer for each night.

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #1,067 of 2,344
Quote:

People just have different sound signature preferences. Not everyone would like these. Dark and congested these are not...
Most pairs don't need burn in, but some will need 3-5 days of use before being at their best. That's actually 8 hours shoved in a drawer for each night.

i wish more places would allow demos for headphones, my local canada computers doesn't allow it for "hygiene reasons". but the places i go to that do allow demos usually carry much better headphones.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #1,068 of 2,344
I lumped them all together as gross because they are. Their sound signature is unappealing.

I can't stand how dark all of their headphones sound. Every Koss product I've tried has terrible separation and imaging, hence congested.

Breaking headphones in yields no audible change. I'm going to hear the same sound the first listen as I do the 100000th assuming I don't destroy the drivers.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #1,069 of 2,344
Quote:

Agreed. I wish she could go more into detail, but guess not? These headphones are just about as clear as my V6's. Darkest headphone I have heard are HD439's.

Sorry v

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #1,070 of 2,344
A. I'm not a he.

B. When I listen to these, the music I listen to becomes a garbled mess. Their separation is terrible, and their lack of detailed mids removes all life from my music. Imaging is horrible. Everything is like directly in the middle in an incomprehensible mess.

Ergo dark and congested.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #1,071 of 2,344
Quote:
A. I'm not a he.
B. When I listen to these, the music I listen to becomes a garbled mess. Their separation is terrible, and their lack of detailed mids removes all life from my music. Imaging is horrible. Everything is like directly in the middle in an incomprehensible mess.
Ergo dark and congested.

I don't have much else to compare these to, but for $50, what better closed headphone can you get? Imaging and separation surpass the V6. Detail is almost the same. They aren't dark, and are pretty clear sounding. I probably wouldn't pay retail price for these though. Just my opinion. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #1,073 of 2,344
Quote:
Ath t400 bests it in every category.

That's nice. And the Skullcandy Hesh too? How about the Wal-Mart $3 earbuds?
It's funny how when a headphone is better than the previous one they heard it's always "better in every category", yet no real comparison was done.
Your impressions of Koss headphones (and the DJ100) are really no better than the guy who heard the Monster Beats on a demo for 5 minutes and proclaims they're the worst headphone ever made.

Maybe instead of trolling threads on what's better, you can actually review them or give us more than "dark and congested" (which is funny).

I take it the Hesh 2 has tons of sparkly treble now right?

This reminds me of the guy on Best Buy's website who claimed the DJ100 had no detail and then "upgraded" to the OE2 from Bose. I bet that's a real detail monster!!

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #1,074 of 2,344
Hey,

While the DJ100 isn't my favorite headphone for $60, it isn't bad. I find these are overpriced at $75, so $50-$60 sounds better. I think the T400 is about equal, but the flavor is different. I like the DJ100's sound signature a lot more than the T400 in every way. But then again it's your's and mine opinion on these.

I personally like the PX100-IIi more than the DJ100's, and it costs less. I find it to be more resolving and enjoyable. Both are darker sounding headphones for sure and the DJ100 is brighter. I just prefer one over the other.

Quote:
Had the chance to get these for about 60.
Promptly returned them and got audio technica ath t400 for the same price.
Koss headphones are gross why do anyone like them?

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #1,075 of 2,344
Quote:
A. I'm not a he.
Ergo dark and congested.

Sounds like you should have tried another source. If they sound bad it's usually the source. For example, on the Fiio E10 they're too dark. They also are very picky about portable players.
It's interesting that you claim burn-in doesn't exist. Hopefully you're not just listening to other people and believing them automatically without further testing (sounds like it). I would never say such a thing until i've heard at least a dozen headphones. 95% of my headphones I burn in.

With a good DAC and amp these have as much detail as my KRK KNS-8400, HD-600 (modded) and Q701, if not more. Sound clarity is affected by the pads (and many other things). Maybe they will sound worse if you have huge ears or a poor seal.

Some pairs can sound muffled without a a few hours of use. They're crystal clear when you bother to listen to them for more than a few minutes.

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #1,076 of 2,344
Quote:
Sounds like you should have tried another source. If they sound bad it's usually the source. For example, on the Fiio E10 they're too dark. They also are very picky about portable players.
It's interesting that you claim burn-in doesn't exist. Hopefully you're not just listening to other people and believing them automatically without further testing (sounds like it). I would never say such a thing until i've heard at least a dozen headphones. 95% of my headphones I burn in.

With a good DAC and amp these have as much detail as my KRK KNS-8400, HD-600 (modded) and Q701, if not more. Sound clarity is affected by the pads (and many other things). Maybe they will sound worse if you have huge ears or a poor seal.

Some pairs can sound muffled without a a few hours of use. They're crystal clear when you bother to listen to them for more than a few minutes.

I got mine used, and right off the bat the mids were killing my ears. Don't know how CrystalT could find these dark.

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #1,077 of 2,344
Quote:
Hey,

I personally like the PX100-IIi more than the DJ100's, and it costs less. I find it to be more resolving and enjoyable. Both are darker sounding headphones for sure and the DJ100 is brighter. I just prefer one over the other.

I had the PX100-II on loan for awhile. Sounds like you just like a warmer signature. I liked the PX100-II, but strangely it's lower mids were much too shouty for me and had a severe lack of treble.
With my Airhead (which I know you said is bassy and warm and I totally disagree with) they're pretty impressive for the price. I didn't care for the PX100-II without an amp. They shouldn't need one, but that's the only way I liked it. Weird. Even sounded good with the E5.

I think the only headphone that compares to the DJ100 for ME (IMO) is a modded HD-600. The Q701 is too different and I hate comparing them. Of course the DJ100 without a good amp/dac doesn't have a fair chance. No I didn't say it's required.
The DJ100 actually has more lower bass than the DJ100 (i've tested it) and more treble. Modded HD-600 is really impressive to me. Dislike it stock.

I know of someone else that also prefers the PX100-II to the DJ100. I just prefer less bass and more treble. The DJ100 also seemed to have more forward upper mids which I liked. Sounded clearer too.

Oh yeah... the SRH-840 to me holds up to the DJ100 quite well, but it's too uncomfortable. I switched from the SRH-840 to the M50 and then to the DJ100. Took a side-grade with the K240 Studio.

BTW I do think the PX100-II has far more mid-bass than the DJ100 (I prefer accurate bass). I didn't check the sub-bass.

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #1,078 of 2,344
Quote:

I got mine used, and right off the bat the mids were killing my ears. Don't know how CrystalT could find these dark.

I found them to have somewhat fatiguing mids with the Sansa Clip Zip+ and Sansa View (but not Clip+). I'm not sure why. I think somehow the E10 made the lower mids too forward.

I'm starting to think that the sound could vary slightly between source, pad seal and the person's ear size. I know that sounds silly, but the stock pads are a bit picky. Stretching them out might help.

I often did find the DJ100 a tiny bit more fatiguing without enough power. When you add in an amp it smooths itself out. I think I experienced this first on a Cowon Iaudio 7.

Right now my pair is almost as smooth sounding as my modded HD-600. Nothing sticking out as long as the recording is good.

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #1,079 of 2,344
Quote:
Hey,

While the DJ100 isn't my favorite headphone for $60, it isn't bad. I find these are overpriced at $75, so $50-$60 sounds better. I think the T400 is about equal, but the flavor is different. I like the DJ100's sound signature a lot more than the T400 in every way. But then again it's your's and mine opinion on these.

I agree, I wouldn't pay full retail. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #1,080 of 2,344
Quote:

I found them to have somewhat fatiguing mids with the Sansa Clip Zip+ and Sansa View (but not Clip+). I'm not sure why. I think somehow the E10 made the lower mids too forward.

I'm starting to think that the sound could vary slightly between source, pad seal and the person's ear size. I know that sounds silly, but the stock pads are a bit picky. Stretching them out might help.

I often did find the DJ100 a tiny bit more fatiguing without enough power. When you add in an amp it smooths itself out. I think I experienced this first on a Cowon Iaudio 7.

Right now my pair is almost as smooth sounding as my modded HD-600. Nothing sticking out as long as the recording is good.

Having bought the CMoy to use with my TBSE1s I can confirm your claim. Actually it depends what op-amp you use, as it's better to use one that's darker-sounding to balance out the sound. Mine has a Burr-Brown op2227. Soundstage has widened, and the mids have been moved back quite a bit. At the beginning, I actually felt that the mids were moved too far back but then I got used to the sound again. I prefer using my Walkman for this setup rather than the Clip+ because it sounds much warmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back