Oct 14, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #1,081 of 2,344
Quote:
I agree, I wouldn't pay full retail. 

Try them with M40 or M50 pads and come back and say this
biggrin.gif
Only kidding..or maybe not!
Then get an ODAC for them
normal_smile .gif

Obviously I think $80 is a fair price, but $150 for the Tony Bennett? Not so much.

Here's the thing though..I can't find any headphone that's closed under $300(!) I like more.
If you've seen my old very long list, i've tried maybe 2 dozen. Sure, some of them do things slightly better.
The K550 and SRH-940 didn't even hold up very well. D2000 isn't even really closed and not even remotely portable.

I'm amused how my Q701 and HD-598 are kind of collecting dust now thanks to the DJ100 + M40 pads.
I do use my HD-600 a lot though for gaming and movies.

The only reason I'd use an open headphone is for a larger soundstage.

BTW if anyone can find me a headphone with the exact signature of the DJ100, but even done better...we might have a winner.
I don't think one exists. The modded HD-600 is close (slightly less bass than stock, clearer and more detailed).

Also.. it's amusing to think people can think these are overpriced at $75. Don't you guys believe in paying a little extra for better build quality?
You can say metal is cheap, but if so..who else makes a headphone with this much metal (and a lifetime warranty) for under $80. Anyone?
I was thinking Koss should make you one out of SOLID STEEL and then you'd be impressed!
biggrin.gif
Maybe they can give you real leather pads too!

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #1,082 of 2,344
Quote:

Try them with M40 or M50 pads and come back and say this
biggrin.gif
Only kidding..or maybe not!
Then get an ODAC for them
normal_smile%20.gif

Obviously I think $80 is a fair price, but $150 for the Tony Bennett? Not so much.

Here's the thing though..I can't find any headphone that's closed under $300(!) I like more.
If you've seen my old very long list, i've tried maybe 2 dozen. Sure, some of them do things slightly better.
The K550 and SRH-940 didn't even hold up very well. D2000 isn't even really closed and not even remotely portable.

I'm amused how my Q701 and HD-598 are kind of collecting dust now thanks to the DJ100 + M40 pads.
I do use my HD-600 a lot though for gaming and movies.

The only reason I'd use an open headphone is for a larger soundstage.

BTW if anyone can find me a headphone with the exact signature of the DJ100, but even done better...we might have a winner.
I don't think one exists. The modded HD-600 is close (slightly less bass than stock, clearer and more detailed).

Also.. it's amusing to think people can think these are overpriced at $75. Don't you guys believe in paying a little extra for better build quality?
You can say metal is cheap, but if so..who else makes a headphone with this much metal (and a lifetime warranty) for under $80. Anyone?
I was thinking Koss should make you one out of SOLID STEEL and then you'd be impressed!
biggrin.gif
Maybe they can give you real leather pads too!

True!

The pads and the cable are really lousy for full retail price though. Again comparing with the V6.... It's made of metal and has a much better cable plus it's super comfy. The cable is soft and stretches easily. 

I finally have some money so I should be able to get some new pads soon. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #1,083 of 2,344
Quote:

That's nice. And the Skullcandy Hesh too? How about the Wal-Mart $3 earbuds?
It's funny how when a headphone is better than the previous one they heard it's always "better in every category", yet no real comparison was done.
Your impressions of Koss headphones (and the DJ100) are really no better than the guy who heard the Monster Beats on a demo for 5 minutes and proclaims they're the worst headphone ever made.

Maybe instead of trolling threads on what's better, you can actually review them or give us more than "dark and congested" (which is funny).

I take it the Hesh 2 has tons of sparkly treble now right?

This reminds me of the guy on Best Buy's website who claimed the DJ100 had no detail and then "upgraded" to the OE2 from Bose. I bet that's a real detail monster!!

Not to be "that guy" but usually people who go for Skullcandy aren't the best judges of sound, these are not dark...or congested, they separate exceptionally for closed headphones, I was quite surprised. They are more towards warm imo....

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #1,085 of 2,344
Hey,

These are a good value, up to a point that is. I find that they are excellent for $50-$60, but not for full retail. These aren't horrible headphones at all and I'd say they are one of the best in the $50-$60 range. Of course I prefer the PX100-IIi, but that is just me.

Travis,
For portable use I prefer a warmer and fuller sound. At home I like a neutral sound. I mainly like the PX100-IIi more as it seems more detailed and resolving. Plus I don't think it needs an amp. I've been using it on my Galaxy SIII (with 64GB MicroSD, so 80GB of total space) and they sound just fine. The SIII seems to have a powerful amp section and the detail o it is great. It also has a brighter presentation which mates well with the PX100-IIi. I think they are easily worth $70, and for the $60 I paid they are a great deal. Its fine you don't agree, because we don't agree on much, do we? If we can agree it's that that the M50 pads do help and that the PX100-IIi is lacking some treble.

I want you to know I am not bashing the DJ100, Heck I've owned three of them, so I know how good they are. 

Quote:
i think i'm gonna get the dj100 just to see if it is the horrible ripoff that crystalt makes it out to be or a good value headphone.
will probably write a short review and comparison with something else.

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #1,086 of 2,344
Hey,

These are a good value, up to a point that is. I find that they are excellent for $50-$60, but not for full retail. These aren't horrible headphones at all and I'd say they are one of the best in the $50-$60 range. Of course I prefer the PX100-IIi, but that is just me.

Travis,
For portable use I prefer a warmer and fuller sound. At home I like a neutral sound. I mainly like the PX100-IIi more as it seems more detailed and resolving. Plus I don't think it needs an amp. I've been using it on my Galaxy SIII (with 64GB MicroSD, so 80GB of total space) and they sound just fine. The SIII seems to have a powerful amp section and the detail o it is great. It also has a brighter presentation which mates well with the PX100-IIi. I think they are easily worth $70, and for the $60 I paid they are a great deal. Its fine you don't agree, because we don't agree on much, do we? If we can agree it's that that the M50 pads do help and that the PX100-IIi is lacking some treble.

I want you to know I am not bashing the DJ100, Heck I've owned three of them, so I know how good they are. 

I'm using them as portables so yeah I would want a warmer sound signature. I'm also getting them for 67$, wish I could find a better deal, but its Canada...

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #1,087 of 2,344
Saying that they're a good value for $50-60 is one thing, but does anyone else actually agree with tdock's incessant claim that they're some of the best closed cans available at under $300? (no offense bro) That seems like a huge reach to me...

I got to try them out today and I was far from impressed, they were probably poorly amped and/or possibly not broken in... But if they're as picky about, well, everything (amp, pad positioning, etc) as some of you guys make them out to be then they're a terrible portable option regardless of their potential IMO.

Frankly I was more impressed with the Phillips Citiscape Downtown (currently going for $50 too even tho MSRP was 2x that and they're fairly recent) and even the SC Aviators, and I'm far from a basshead (I love my Ety's HF3 and those are as clinical as it gets I think).

I might buy the DJ100 later to try them out of a proper source and whatnot, but I'll probably wait until I've got something like the H25-1 II or M-80 on hand to compare them with. Not saying those should sound similar in any way but I'm mostly just looking for a different sound from DT 880 in a portable friendly size so that's why I've got those on my list.

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #1,089 of 2,344
Hi,

They are not even worth their full retail IMO. Saying they are some of the best under $300 is a stretch indeed. The T70 is vastly, vastly superior in every way. I can understand it if one loves the signature that much, but there's no way that their SQ is worth that. I think priced at $50-$60 is perfect. Also the M50 pads aren't cheap and they don't improve the sound that much to warrant spending $30 on them. 

IMO the DJ100 requires absolutely no amping at all. They are highly efficient and are 38Ohms. They get loud on everything I own and sound great, even from my old Blackberry Curve. Claiming they need an amp scares away people and I just don't agree with that. There isn't much change at all when amped. If anything a $20 CMOY is more than enough. 

I've heard the Citiscape and find it to be the better headphone all around. It's a warmer signature but it's more detailed and resolving with a bigger soundstage. Some might not agree and that's fine, but it's on honest opinion.

So here's my say, I'd pay no more than $50-$60 for the DJ100. Anything more than that and you're wasting money. They aren't worth $75 in the long run not are they the best under $100. The KRK KNS-6400 is the best under $100 IMO and stomps the DJ100 into the dirt.

Just my take though.

Quote:
Saying that they're a good value for $50-60 is one thing, but does anyone else actually agree with tdock's incessant claim that they're some of the best closed cans available at under $300? (no offense bro) That seems like a huge reach to me...
I got to try them out today and I was far from impressed, they were probably poorly amped and/or possibly not broken in... But if they're as picky about, well, everything (amp, pad positioning, etc) as some of you guys make them out to be then they're a terrible portable option regardless of their potential IMO.

Frankly I was more impressed with the Phillips Citiscape Downtown (currently going for $50 too even tho MSRP was 2x that and they're fairly recent) and even the SC Aviators, and I'm far from a basshead (I love my Ety's HF3 and those are as clinical as it gets I think).

I might buy the DJ100 later to try them out of a proper source and whatnot, but I'll probably wait until I've got something like the H25-1 II or M-80 on hand to compare them with. Not saying those should sound similar in any way but I'm mostly just looking for a different sound from DT 880 in a portable friendly size so that's why I've got those on my list.

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #1,090 of 2,344
^ agreed.  I picked up some Tony Bennett special editions a few weeks ago from Tuesday morning for $50 as I needed some closed back phones for family use.  For $50 they are a fantastic buy.  Detachable cord and storage case are nice additions.  Sound exceeded my expectations for the money.  I also have the AKG Q701 and Grado SR125, and while I like these phones better, for $50 I would like to know what cans can surpass the DJ100(TBSE) for $50?

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #1,091 of 2,344
Quote:
Hi,

They are not even worth their full retail IMO. Saying they are some of the best under $300 is a stretch indeed. The T70 is vastly, vastly superior in every way. I can understand it if one loves the signature that much, but there's no way that their SQ is worth that. I think priced at $50-$60 is perfect. Also the M50 pads aren't cheap and they don't improve the sound that much to warrant spending $30 on them. 

IMO the DJ100 requires absolutely no amping at all. They are highly efficient and are 38Ohms. They get loud on everything I own and sound great, even from my old Blackberry Curve. Claiming they need an amp scares away people and I just don't agree with that. There isn't much change at all when amped. If anything a $20 CMOY is more than enough. 

I've heard the Citiscape and find it to be the better headphone all around. It's a warmer signature but it's more detailed and resolving with a bigger soundstage. Some might not agree and that's fine, but it's on honest opinion.

So here's my say, I'd pay no more than $50-$60 for the DJ100. Anything more than that and you're wasting money. They aren't worth $75 in the long run not are they the best under $100. The KRK KNS-6400 is the best under $100 IMO and stomps the DJ100 into the dirt.

Just my take though.

IME these are not very efficient headphones (had to turn up the volume quite a bit even compared to other headphones), and there has been a few vast changes when paired up with my CMoy.

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #1,092 of 2,344
Anybody heard both the DJ100 and the JVC HA-S500? 

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #1,093 of 2,344
Quote:

I wasn't impressed impressed with the SK aviators. I tried both Vmoda and the aviators and Vmoda sounded better. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #1,094 of 2,344
Quote:

Nobody is going to claim they're the best closed headphones under $300. I never said they were, but just based on sound signature preferences and what sounds good to ME. I'm not a believer that a $250 open headphone is magically better just because it's more expensive. Same with closed headphones. My point was that I haven't YET found one that sounds better to me that's closed. I'm sure it exists! It does seem there is not enough closed headphones.

When I listen to my Q701 and HD-600 and then immediately put on the DJ100 i'm not disgusted and it's not any worse. Just different. What does this mean? Not sure, but I could easily live without my other headphones. The reason I keep them is that I need an open headphone. Theres stuff I can hear on my DJ100 that's not very present at all on the others and the DJ100 has better bass extension.

Comparing the DJ100 to the HD-650 was some sort of sick joke to me. The whole time i'm thinking..these are $250 more..for this?! Yes, I like the HD-650. The $499 price tag is good for a laugh. Sorry if that hurts someone's feelings
normal_smile .gif
It's only because it's not my type of signature.

It's perfectly OK if anyone thinks i've nuts saying the DJ100 is as good as some $300 headphones. Price I could really care less about. There's many closed headphones i've heard under $300 that are "technically" better, but that's just some some excuse for people to not list why it's better. There's tons of stuff that's "technically" better but it's not very musical or has something I don't like about it. The DT-770 600 was nice and all, but it's mids were kind of cave like and it had too much treble. This was the bass neutral version. No kidding. It was almost like a closed headphone trying to sound like an open one.

If these don't have someone's preferred sound signature then they won't be worth full retail to them. Nothing wrong with that.

Oh yeah..you know what else sounds as good as some $300 headphones? The modded KRK KNS-8400. Ok, that's $130 retail, but whatever. Stock it's pretty similar.

I want to see someone doing an in depth A/B comparison review of the KNS-8400 and Q701 and see what they come up with. The 8400 doesn't sound half as good and holds up very well.

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #1,095 of 2,344
Hi,

For $50? Easily the Sennheiser PX100-IIi. It's $50 on Amazon now and is worth it. They are 60Ohms, but are incredibly efficient. I highly recommend them. The TBSE for $50 is a steal, I'd pay about $70 for those as I like detachable cables. Even a used SR-60i is about $65 or so and sounds much better. Then again everyone gauges things differently.

As far as thew efficiency of the DJ100, I set my Zune HD at 15, which is half volume, and it's very loud. On my SIII the volume can be set to about 1/4 of the max volume and can be loud. And for reference I have a set in hand right now. Koss were nice enough to lend me a DJ200 to try out. The DJ100 IMO is worth about $70, not the $179 Koss asks for it.

Quote:
^ agreed.  I picked up some Tony Bennett special editions a few weeks ago from Tuesday morning for $50 as I needed some closed back phones for family use.  For $50 they are a fantastic buy.  Detachable cord and storage case are nice additions.  Sound exceeded my expectations for the money.  I also have the AKG Q701 and Grado SR125, and while I like these phones better, for $50 I would like to know what cans can surpass the DJ100(TBSE) for $50?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back