Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Oct 7, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #1,006 of 2,344
Quote:
Hello All!

I just bought the TBSE1 at Tuesday Morning for 49.95 + tax-and they had at least 8 pair still on the shelf.

I was going to let them burn in before I even put them on my head, but I couldn't resist. Now I've got "The Very Best of Julie London" streaming on MOG (320 kbps) out of my laptop with a Nuforce icon UDAC2, and-even though I generally would probably not listen to Julie London....I can't take these headphones off.

It sounds like she's standing next to me in the room.  Goosebump factor off the charts. The strings sound like the pit is downstairs in my house, the bass player and drummer are right behind me....and this is streaming mp3!

I'm a total headphone noob-started with HD280's-then realized something was really missing-so after lurking here for several weeks, I bought  the Nuforce uDAC-2, then some Grados-SR60i-which I LOVE-perfect for my metal and rock listening. I do believe these will be a great second set to complement the Grados for now. I mean- 50 BUCKS! Wow.

Anyway-sorry for the ramble-thanks for the advice everyone (and especially tdock) . I'll update after a burn-in. Right now the highs have a bit of a harsh, papery edge-but everything else sounds great-and I have smallish ears, so stock pads are working fine for now. These were a steal at 50 bones. Detachable cable is a big plus. 

Big thanks to the community for all the helpful information.

Anyone wanna buy my HD280s?   :)

I'm guessing that the improvement is mostly attributed to your DAC.

Oct 7, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #1,007 of 2,344
Yeah-the Nuforce obviously made a huge difference-but it was about two weeks of using that with the HD280s before I went to the Grados.
So these aren't like the best ever of course-but for 50 bucks....not too shabby-especially for an entry level type listener like myself.

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #1,008 of 2,344
I'll have to try these for gaming. I use a wireless PS3 HP that I really like because it isolates the sound. I tend to game a little louder than when I listen to music so I dont want any sound leaking. It would be great to have another set for when the PS3 Hp is recharging.

Oct 7, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #1,009 of 2,344
Does anyone know any better replacement cables? Straight cable?

Oct 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #1,012 of 2,344
Quote:
I think the versions inside Europe have the silver/white painting on the sides and a white logo on the headband.

Silver logo on the headband, or at least mine has.

Quote:
What Gonzzo said!! if your considering, just get them now!  = http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/tony-bennett-signature-edition-stereophones/1255982.jsp they still seem to be available.

It's a crazy good price. I'd buy a pair, if they only would ship international, for a fair price. As it stands right now, they don't do international at all...
B!

Oct 7, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #1,013 of 2,344
Quote:
It's a crazy good price. I'd buy a pair, if they only would ship international, for a fair price. As it stands right now, they don't do international at all...
B!

If you really want them start checking with people you know in the states. If you can find someone to pick them up for you in store they could probably ship them to you for a reasonable rate. Maybe even a fellow Head-Fier could pick a pair up for you, I had to purchase mine online.

Edit: I have a Rotel RSX-1055 receiver that does not have a headphone plug, does anyone know if I could hook my TBSE up to it via a Y adapter (1/8" to RCA left/right)? 

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #1,014 of 2,344
Well my pair of the Tony Bennet version are coming to me soon, hope you were right about the sound stage, almost went with the AKG 240 Studio but heard those were kinda muddy bass wise and iffy with mids, also thats the sound stage wasn't even much better though they are semi open. Though I hear they have great clear highs and are nice for acoustic music...

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #1,015 of 2,344
Quote:
Well my pair of the Tony Bennet version are coming to me soon, hope you were right about the sound stage, almost went with the AKG 240 Studio but heard those were kinda muddy bass wise and iffy with mids, also thats the sound stage wasn't even much better though they are semi open. Though I hear they have great clear highs and are nice for acoustic music...

Hope you like them. Shame that Tuesday Morning doesn't have an ebay store for international buyers.

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #1,016 of 2,344
Quote:

Hope you like them. Shame that Tuesday Morning doesn't have an ebay store for international buyers.

Yeah that is a shame, they should look into that honestly, they would benefit from more sales. I sure hope I like them, I am mainly worried about soundstage or sounds being seperated in the right way, mainly just gonna use them for games/occasional music listening on my computer, they will stay with my computer :).

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #1,017 of 2,344
Quote:

Yeah that is a shame, they should look into that honestly, they would benefit from more sales. I sure hope I like them, I am mainly worried about soundstage or sounds being seperated in the right way, mainly just gonna use them for games/occasional music listening on my computer, they will stay with my computer :).

IME there isn't much of a problem concerning soundstage and sound separation. I know that tdockweiler has extolled the advantages of using these with a game like BioShock, but from my experience playing ArmA 2, positioning in a vast environment is still lacking. For music, though, you shouldn't be disappointed, especially with the mids :)

Who knows - maybe you'll want to take them off and throw them against the wall like I felt like doing at the beginning, but eventually come to love these headphones. Paired with a CMoy they're taken to a whole new level.

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #1,020 of 2,344
Yeah, I have owned Koss stuff before but lowend and never bothered with the warrenty when they broke, heard they were super nice about warrenties though....but smashing on a wall might go beyond that, not that I would ever do that :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back