Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Oct 5, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #991 of 2,344
Quote:
I am tempted to get a pair of these but am wondering if they would work well with the amp in the Xonar DG, I would pretty much leave these plugged into that 24/7.

Also how is the sound signature compared to the Sennheiser HD-25 II? I want something different honestly, but still very detailed, maybe smoother, I was looking into the Samson SR850 but these seem like they might be the better buy, I would use them mainly for gaming which I thought opened might work better for but I hear the sound stage was rather good on these also and they look very comfortable, my ears are small so it should cover them totally.

Honestly, I don't find them to be terribly great for gaming as their soundstage really isn't great.  However, they will pair with the Xonar DG nice enough.

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #992 of 2,344
Quote:
Honestly, I don't find them to be terribly great for gaming as their soundstage really isn't great.  However, they will pair with the Xonar DG nice enough.

I see, decisions are hard, the review seemed to make them sound pretty good sounstage wise, not the best but better then the senns I have I it seemed, maybe I am better off with the open samson then.

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #993 of 2,344
Quote:
I see, decisions are hard, the review seemed to make them sound pretty good sounstage wise, not the best but better then the senns I have I it seemed, maybe I am better off with the open samson then.

If you'd be willing to lose some of the bass, the Superlux HD681 is a lot cheaper these days.  The Superlux HD668b/Samson SR850 have been so inflated in price lately...  http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-681-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B002GHIPYI/ref=pd_cp_MI_0

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #994 of 2,344
Oct 5, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #995 of 2,344
I've found that stock the DJ100 is good for gaming, but not great. Obviously an open headphone is best, but I'd still take the DJ100 over the HD-668B for gaming. I had the 668B for awhile and found it to be rather V-shaped, but generally crystal clear sounding. Strangely enough, not very musical. A good deal for the price I paid and makes some headphones around the $30-$40 price just look really bad. Some will love it and others will hate it. I hated it's signature, but am willing to admit that it's very good for the price.

For gaming, what the DJ100 needs is M50 pads. It really increases the soundstage and gives me an impression of a tad more treble. It's still smooth treble, but the entire signature is a tiny bit less warm.

I played through Bioshock 2 a year ago with stock pads and had no complaints. I also used the Pearstone pads but it made the game seem too bassy at times.

For gaming I actually prefer a headphone with less bass, like the Q701 or KRK KNS-8400. The DJ100 certainly isn't bass heavy.

My latest favorite though has been the modded HD-600. Stock I don't like it much at all and prefer the HD-580.

BTW the Xonor DG has fairly good measurements (it's on goldenears website). I'm sure it'll be fine for the DJ100.

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #996 of 2,344
Is there any headphones in this price range that are open and good with gaming you would suggest over the DJ 100? I just checked put the Q701/KNS-8400 and those seem a bit pricey. Or should I just get the DJ 100 and M50 pads to accompany them with? I really like the idea of them having an plugable 3.5 and being made out of all metal...seems like they would last forever, and for 50 bucks for the Tony Bennet ones seems hard to beat....

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #997 of 2,344
Quote:
Is there any headphones in this price range that are open and good with gaming you would suggest over the DJ 100? I just checked put the Q701/KNS-8400 and those seem a bit pricey. Or should I just get the DJ 100 and M50 pads to accompany them with? I really like the idea of them having an plugable 3.5 and being made out of all metal...seems like they would last forever, and for 50 bucks for the Tony Bennet ones seems hard to beat....

Not really that I can think of.. the K240 Studio is found sometimes under $100, but it's much harder to drive and might sound bad without an amp. Despite being 55 ohm or so! It's soundstage also feels smaller than that of the DJ100 with M50 pads! It's even semi-open.

I also love the ATH-AD300, but that's $80. I think it's better than the AD700. No thin mids, actually has bass and not too treble happy. It's mids are much fuller than the AD700.

I think I must be the only person who's tried the AD300 around here. Kind of sad!

Wow, I just checked and looks like AD300 might be discontinued. That's too bad.

I would suggest the HD-668b, but I hated it's mids. In Fallout 3 it just sounded weird. Some maybe ok with it. Maybe Superlux has a more neutral clone of the K240 Studio?

It seems there's not enough open headphones for under $100. Another one closed is the KRK KNS-6400, but it's feels very bass light compared to the DJ100 but you can put memory foam pads on it. I like it, but some think it's too thin or un-musical. For them, the 8400 is a better match.

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #998 of 2,344
I see, I should just go for them then it seems...Thanks for the input, I just want something with more soundstage then my Sennheiser HD-25 II which lack in that area, these should at least be a nice step up.

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #999 of 2,344
I just ordered my TBSE from Tuesday Morning for 55 bucks shipped. Thats about 30 bucks cheaper than my last pair and a great bargain. I even have some different pads for it laying around. 

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #1,000 of 2,344
Quote:
I just ordered my TBSE from Tuesday Morning for 55 bucks shipped. Thats about 30 bucks cheaper than my last pair and a great bargain. I even have some different pads for it laying around. 

I missed the sale, but maybe they're still available. I'm trying to stop buying new headphones though. I can barely listen to everything I have as it is.
The next headphone I purchase will be probably in spring. Thinking of giving the HD-650 another chance now that I have a more neutral DAC.

Be careful with the pads though and get an idea of what it's like stock first. It's super easy to ruin the sound of the TB/DJ100 with the wrong pads.
I hated them with DT-250 and SRH-840 pads.

I'm still looking for the perfect pad. M50 is as close as it gets (for my preferences). I just wish I could find something that offers the M50 pad sound but with memory foam!!

I still wish I could mod some SRH-940 pads to work with it and not kill the bass.

Stock pads are perfectly ok as long as the person doesn't have massive ears. They're OK for me, but sometimes I'd not get a perfect seal. Stretching the stock pads a bit helped.

I actually thought the TB at $75 was a steal
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #1,001 of 2,344
Quote:
I missed the sale, but maybe they're still available. I'm trying to stop buying new headphones though. I can barely listen to everything I have as it is.
The next headphone I purchase will be probably in spring. Thinking of giving the HD-650 another chance now that I have a more neutral DAC.

Be careful with the pads though and get an idea of what it's like stock first. It's super easy to ruin the sound of the TB/DJ100 with the wrong pads.
I hated them with DT-250 and SRH-840 pads.

I'm still looking for the perfect pad. M50 is as close as it gets (for my preferences). I just wish I could find something that offers the M50 pad sound but with memory foam!!

I still wish I could mod some SRH-940 pads to work with it and not kill the bass.

Stock pads are perfectly ok as long as the person doesn't have massive ears. They're OK for me, but sometimes I'd not get a perfect seal. Stretching the stock pads a bit helped.

I actually thought the TB at $75 was a steal
biggrin.gif

This is my second pair of TBSE HP's I had my first pair for several months , They were burned in nicely by that time. I returned them to the seller after I had a problem and was supposed to get a replacement . He was out of stock and game me a refund. I have the m50 pads and a DT-250 pads to play around with. I had some discomfort with them after a short while that persisted even after stretching on a ball. That has worked for every HP I've had tightness with except these. But I like the sound a lot and can put up with shorter sessions. I have a lot more HP's than I used to.

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #1,002 of 2,344
I thought I would make a small contribution here...
I have the DJ100 with the stock and the M50 pads. However, I guess my ears are absolutely massive; with both pads, they were too shallow and my ears would touch the baffle. The same thing happened with my Fostex T50RP, and my fix was to simply stuff cotton balls under the pads. The result was like the difference that happens when you take a closed headphone and mash it against your head, and then compare it to normal. For the T50RP, it was literally a jaw-dropping improvement.

I tried the cotton ball thing for both the stock and the M50 pads. While my jaws didn't actually drop this time, the sound is much better now: much cleaner, more natural, much better soundstage... everything that goes wrong when you squish a closed headphone against your head got fixed. Initial impressions are that (with cotton balls) the M50 pads have much more bass, but the rest of the frequency smooths out to a warmer, very slightly recessed tone, while the stock pads give a more engaging mid and treble with arguably more balanced bass. I still need to do some more comparisons.

But yeah, for anybody that happens to have cotton balls lying around, I think it's at least worth a try; I guess that if you don't have massive ears like me, it won't make that much of a difference.
I need to try those FA-003/HM5 pads... they look like they're big enough to actually fit my ears :p

Update: After a little more comparison, I definitely prefer the stock pads in this way. The M50 pads with cotton balls make the bass too prominent and dominant over the rest of the spectrum. But also, for me, if the pads are too raised (too much cotton balls), it has the same effect on the stock pads. I think just the right amount to get the baffle off of your ears are enough; otherwise, the bass becomes too bloated.
One of the biggest improvements that I felt is that the harshness in the treble is gone now. Especially coming from the HD650 and T50RP, the treble in the DJ100 was originally quite fatiguing, but I think after the cotton ball thing and just getting more used to the sound signature, the treble fatigue is gone. At least to me, these REALLY give the HD650 a run for the money :xf_eek:

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #1,003 of 2,344
Quote:
I thought I would make a small contribution here...
I have the DJ100 with the stock and the M50 pads. However, I guess my ears are absolutely massive; with both pads, they were too shallow and my ears would touch the baffle. The same thing happened with my Fostex T50RP, and my fix was to simply stuff cotton balls under the pads. The result was like the difference that happens when you take a closed headphone and mash it against your head, and then compare it to normal. For the T50RP, it was literally a jaw-dropping improvement.

I tried the cotton ball thing for both the stock and the M50 pads. While my jaws didn't actually drop this time, the sound is much better now: much cleaner, more natural, much better soundstage... everything that goes wrong when you squish a closed headphone against your head got fixed. Initial impressions are that (with cotton balls) the M50 pads have much more bass, but the rest of the frequency smooths out to a warmer, very slightly recessed tone, while the stock pads give a more engaging mid and treble with arguably more balanced bass. I still need to do some more comparisons.

But yeah, for anybody that happens to have cotton balls lying around, I think it's at least worth a try; I guess that if you don't have massive ears like me, it won't make that much of a difference.
I need to try those FA-003/HM5 pads... they look like they're big enough to actually fit my ears :p

I'm a girl and the they touch my ears too (with stock pads). Really curious if the HM5 pads fit. They look super comfy. I'll try the cottonball thing later.

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #1,004 of 2,344
Hello All!

I just bought the TBSE1 at Tuesday Morning for 49.95 + tax-and they had at least 8 pair still on the shelf.

I was going to let them burn in before I even put them on my head, but I couldn't resist. Now I've got "The Very Best of Julie London" streaming on MOG (320 kbps) out of my laptop with a Nuforce icon UDAC2, and-even though I generally would probably not listen to Julie London....I can't take these headphones off.

It sounds like she's standing next to me in the room.  Goosebump factor off the charts. The strings sound like the pit is downstairs in my house, the bass player and drummer are right behind me....and this is streaming mp3!

I'm a total headphone noob-started with HD280's-then realized something was really missing-so after lurking here for several weeks, I bought  the Nuforce uDAC-2, then some Grados-SR60i-which I LOVE-perfect for my metal and rock listening. I do believe these will be a great second set to complement the Grados for now. I mean- 50 BUCKS! Wow.

Anyway-sorry for the ramble-thanks for the advice everyone (and especially tdock) . I'll update after a burn-in. Right now the highs have a bit of a harsh, papery edge-but everything else sounds great-and I have smallish ears, so stock pads are working fine for now. These were a steal at 50 bones. Detachable cable is a big plus. 

Big thanks to the community for all the helpful information.

Anyone wanna buy my HD280s?   :)

Oct 7, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #1,005 of 2,344
What Gonzzo said!! if your considering, just get them now!  = http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/tony-bennett-signature-edition-stereophones/1255982.jsp they still seem to be available.

So mine came yesterday and my first thought was... mmm.... not bad. Certainly better than anything I have laying around they house, my Nu-force NE-7M are the only real comparison I have since my other cans are gaming trash or super cheap and those are IEMs. I've been listing to them stock from my PC via a Tritton DH decoder box and after a hand full of hours use they just seem to be growing fuller and fuller. You guys weren't kidding about the vocals just popping right out on these things, I find myself listing to songs I normally wouldn't because they sound so great. Some of my favorites so far have been Adele, Radio Head, Death Cab for Cutie, anything electronic and Gym Class Heroes "cupids Choke hold" was ridiculous. I did have to organize my music collection a bit because the lower bit rate songs stick out like a sore thumb now. 

I may pick up some of the M50 pads eventually but for now the stock pads are the best if a bit warm. I'm not a big fan of the isolation that the stock pads have because I don't like not being able to hear anything around me, but the pads I have laying around ruin the sound. 

I play a lot of games but haven't had a lot of time to go through my library this weekend, as I get the chance I'll post some more impressions if anyone is interested or I'll just stick to Mad Lust Envy's thread for gaming. I will say that Borderlands 2 sounds great so far. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back