Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Sep 1, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #901 of 2,344
Quote:
Thinking about recommending these to a friend. I read the review, but I didn't see anything mentioning classical music and how the DJ100s handle it. Or maybe I missed it.

Basically would this be a good choice for classical music? It's what he mainly listens to. And this fits a lot of the other "boxes" he pointed out. (Less than $100, closed, portable, amping can improve, etc.)

Classical music will sound good with this headphone for sure.. but it might not be the best; maybe the Akg k-240 will do a better job. It's semi open though. 

Sep 2, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #902 of 2,344
Quote:

Classical music will sound good with this headphone for sure.. but it might not be the best; maybe the Akg k-240 will do a better job. It's semi open though. 

Yeah originally when he said Classical my first thought was K240! But then he said he prefers them to be closed, but is open to other options.

I have the K240s, and they sound great when I play my classical music! My go to "classical cans".

Sep 2, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #904 of 2,344
I know, classical isn't great but just OK nothing more, that's what I meant. It won't sound bad either. The problem with the Denons is the price, they are really expensive. I think the best choice is the K-240.

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #907 of 2,344
Hi,

A used HD515 is usually under $100 and is about the same as the HD518.

Quote:
.It's outside my friend's budget though. He doesn't want to spend more than $100, give or take 5 or 10 dollars.

Sep 2, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #908 of 2,344
Quote:
I disagree.  Classical really isn't that great through the DJ100.  Not quite the right sort of soundstage for it.  Closed for classical, I'd say Denons.

I've found that for the DJ100 and classical, a good amp/dac plus M50 pads are required. I normally would not suggest the DJ100 stock with a portable player for classical.
The soundstage of the DJ100 with M50 pads and the ODAC+Micro Amp/E9 is pretty impressive.

Some may prefer the KRK KNS-8400 for this, but i've found it has much less bass.

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #910 of 2,344
I burned my Koss's in some more, by blasting hardcore, and stuffing it into a closet covered in pillows. 

Ironically, my thinkpad has the best sound quality of all my sound-devices. With the thinkpad's sound card, I actually think that the Koss's trump the Senn's quite a bit. 

The clarity and separation of the DJ-100's are better than my sennheiser, however; the senn's has more bass and a darker feel. I find that I prefer the Koss's for the extra clarity, and its a little brighter. Also, the bass on the koss's seems to be sharper.

In the kind of music I listen too, classic rock, alternative, and pop/current rock, I like the bass to be sharp and not mix into the mids. I find that (after a great deal of burn-in), the koss's simply put a smile on my face when listening to songs like "Rooster" where the vocals are drawn out, when the Senn's simply don't. 

I used EAC ripped FLAC's. 

Next up, I am going to buy myself a Fiio E17 and try that with both my ipod and 2 computers. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #911 of 2,344
Yo,

I do remember those times. It's too bad a used set goes for much more than that now. I got my initial HD595 for $198 and my HD555 was $80 used. Man I remember when the HD555 was $100 new..

Quote:
Don't you remember when the HD595 was $140?  Good times...

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #912 of 2,344
I just purchased the dj100s for my first legitimate headphone. I did experience the muffled sound so I am currently burning them in. I am running them out of an ipod nano (lol) and see the potential of having an amp. I was wondering what would be a good portable amp to buy for the dj100s under $75. I will also be getting the ath-m50 pads too.

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #913 of 2,344
Yo,

The FiiO E5 is a good amp and should be more than enough for them, though I think they don't require an amp at all. I've tried them on many portable sources with no change in sound, except that the ipod has a thinner sound. Even with an amp they don't improve as much as say the KRK KNS-8400.

Quote:
I just purchased the dj100s for my first legitimate headphone. I did experience the muffled sound so I am currently burning them in. I am running them out of an ipod nano (lol) and see the potential of having an amp. I was wondering what would be a good portable amp to buy for the dj100s under $75. I will also be getting the ath-m50 pads too.

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #914 of 2,344
Quote:
Yo,

I do remember those times. It's too bad a used set goes for much more than that now. I got my initial HD595 for $198 and my HD555 was $80 used. Man I remember when the HD555 was $100 new..

Sennheiser with the new "MAP" pricing just went totally off the deep end.  Doesn't help that people are continuing to buy them at such a ridiculous price.

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #915 of 2,344
Quote:

I got that muffled sound on one pair once. I think it's due to the Titanium driver perhaps and that it just need a few hours of use. Mine cleared up very fast. I don't know what causes this and maybe often it can be due to a poor seal. I've noticed that the sound of the stock pads can vary a little due to seal. I didn't notice this until I stretched the pads out slightly.

I ordered some M40 pads and they should be similar to the M50 pads but won't get hard after months of use. I'm hoping they're larger than the V6 pads. Generic V6 pads are the worst..way too small.
Quote:
Yo,

The FiiO E5 is a good amp and should be more than enough for them, though I think they don't require an amp at all. I've tried them on many portable sources with no change in sound, except that the ipod has a thinner sound. Even with an amp they don't improve as much as say the KRK KNS-8400.

Total opposite for me, but I bet you knew that i'd disagree
biggrin.gif

I still need to try the Fiio E6. I gave up after getting a 2nd fake from trusted sources on Amazon. Looks like it was an Amazon issue that is finally sorted out.
The E6 is supposed to have less bass roll off than the E5.

Another reason one might need an amp is that with classical on the Clip+ they need max volume for some music (such as any of Yo-Yo Ma's recordings).

One thing i've experienced last night again is that they're definitely a bit thinner sounding (not thin at all, but in comparison) than with an amp. It's not a case of it coloring it due to the amp. This is with any amp.
I prefer the DJ100 to have very full mids. I think the DJ100 is much less fatiguing with an amp. Not sure if you ever noticed this. It really depends on the music.

I saw a review yesterday that claimed the DJ100 was a tad less warm sounding with the M50 pads. Perhaps this is true. After switching to stock pads after using M50 pads for 4 months they definitely seemed to have a tad more mid-bass.
When I get more money I'm going to test the DJ100 with the O2 now that I have the ODAC. I think it will be rather pointless since my Micro Amp is already transparent enough.

I think the E5 might also have slightly forward mids too. It doesn't actually hurt the DJ100's sound at all. Maybe not, but it seems like it has better mids than the E11 and E10.

I need to do a review of the DJ100 with M50 pads vs the KNS-8400 using the O2+ODAC. Should be interesting. I've found the DJ100 to be much warmer and less fatiguing. Similar amounts of detail, but the 8400 could have a slight edge, but not that it's a negative.
It's weird but I think the bass on the 8400 might be more accurate than the Q701 and HD-580.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back