Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
May 11, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #2,071 of 2,344
TBSE's with the German Maestro 41-6015 Ear Pads & Dust Shield
FiiO E17 / E09K combo.

beerchug.gif

May 11, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #2,072 of 2,344
Yo,

I bet those pads make them uber bassy, am I right? Please detail the sound signature changes friend.

The only thing I'd recommend is using a different amp. The E109k is more for high impedance headphones. 

EDIT: Screw it, I'll buy a pair of TBSE.. They are cheap enough now and are compatible with the Boom Pro.

May 11, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #2,073 of 2,344
To be honest I have not really listened to the TBSE's in quite a while, I was going to put the SOMiC EFI82-MT pads on them when I noticed the GMP synthetic's sitting there, so I put them on instead.

I'll give them a good listen and switch back to stock pads later on this week.

Thread revival makes one dig out the unused cans. :D

May 11, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #2,074 of 2,344
I'll have to dust off my TBSE's again. They didn't really appeal to me, but I should give them another listen.

@Zombie_X, I see you have the DT1350's. I just got a pair as well, and wow - that is some amazing sound. I can only imagine what the T1's sound like :)

May 11, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #2,075 of 2,344
Indeed the T1 are great. The DT1350 is one of the best buys in the $250 bracket IMO. Super clean, neutral, accurate, and detailed.

Though this thread is about the DJ100. Run before Travis gets wind of this! Run I say!

May 12, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #2,076 of 2,344
The thing is that best under $200 is subjective and to claim that is big, especially if other member are inexperienced. I never said I hated them, I quite love them. So what if I prefer the beyer signature, I still acknowledge that these are great headphones. They are the best headphone Koss makes next to their electrostatic headphones, but they aren't exactly best under $200. I know you think they are, and hey that's your opinion and I respect it. The only thing I am arguing is how you word it as if they ARE the best under $200, not your preference. You worded like these are the definitive headphone in that price bracket. Hopefully that clarifies what I meant.

Would I buy theme again? Maybe if they are $30 or so but I already have too many headphones. The DJ100 is quite warm and bassy, which I do like. I own the L1 and X1, which are warm and bassy. They are great for metal and are actually a good all-rounder headphone. I just find they aren't the best value after a certain amount of money.

No hard feelings I hope. I do enjoy reading through this thread and I've always enjoyed my conversations with you man. I don't want a little misunderstanding destroy that.

You're not being fair, Tdock didn't just say that "it's the best under $200 the end.". He actually write a well detailed review and explain his preference quite clearly to come to that conclusion.

Your whole problem is just because he didn't add "IMO" at the end of every sentence. I suggest to just mentally add it yourself whenever someone claim best, because it will literally always be subjective.

May 12, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #2,077 of 2,344
  The thing is that best under $200 is subjective and to claim that is big, especially if other member are inexperienced. I never said I hated them, I quite love them. So what if I prefer the beyer signature, I still acknowledge that these are great headphones. They are the best headphone Koss makes next to their electrostatic headphones, but they aren't exactly best under $200. I know you think they are, and hey that's your opinion and I respect it. The only thing I am arguing is how you word it as if they ARE the best under $200, not your preference. You worded like these are the definitive headphone in that price bracket. Hopefully that clarifies what I meant.

Would I buy theme again? Maybe if they are $30 or so but I already have too many headphones. The DJ100 is quite warm and bassy, which I do like. I own the L1 and X1, which are warm and bassy. They are great for metal and are actually a good all-rounder headphone. I just find they aren't the best value after a certain amount of money.

No hard feelings I hope. I do enjoy reading through this thread and I've always enjoyed my conversations with you man. I don't want a little misunderstanding destroy that.

Yep, I never meant to say "best for everyone under $200". I can't help it if people want to think that. Everything I say is just IMO. Everything here is always just subjective.
To me, there is no such thing as best headphone for under $50, $100 and $1000. Just what I prefer.

Ever since i've been on here i've never found anyone who liked the exact same headphones I do. Maybe one. I also listen to very specific genres, but do try many before reviewing a headphone.

I'm not arguing and it doesn't bother me if anyone hates the DJ100. I always like talking about the DJ100. Even after 3 years I still love them.
I've already heard a lot of people claiming they have no bass or have recessed  upper mids (which is nonsense, it's more like a peak and then a slight dip).

I felt the original price of $80 was a fair price (assuming you like the sound). For $40 or $50 it's a steal considering it's probably comparable to many $150 headphones (such as SRH-840/M50/KRKs).

The original $150 price of the Tony Bennett was a joke considering the DJ100 cost way less.

BTW the TB does seem a little brighter, but I know you say they have the same driver. I have both the DJ100 and TB. I basically just say they're mostly the same. Here's the thing though. There is no way to really prove who is right. Inside they are also identical.

There is one person who says he doesn't like the M50 pads with the TB, but prefers them on the DJ100!

Haha, i've probably owned 15 DJ100s so far. Crazy! Not sure how that is even possible.

Someone else claimed the TB/DJ200 is a little brighter and perhaps Koss maid some ultra minor tweaks.

BTW one headphone we seem to agree on is the T90! I tried that for a few days and was not impressed. It's VERY revealing of gear though and the Modi actually made it sound smoother than it normally is.

May 12, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #2,078 of 2,344
  Indeed the T1 are great. The DT1350 is one of the best buys in the $250 bracket IMO. Super clean, neutral, accurate, and detailed.

Though this thread is about the DJ100. Run before Travis gets wind of this! Run I say!

T1 is not quite as good as the DJ100 though! The T1 is also much easier to drive and only needs a Fiio E1.

I'm sure there are lots of headphone under $250 that are closed and better than the DJ100.
The problem is that it costs a lot of money to find them. I can't really buy any new headphones.
I'm sure i'll probably not like the DT1350 since I can't stand on-ear headphones usually.
Have you tried the DT-235? That one is very good though for the price and also on-ear.

Believe it or not it's like I could draw up my own personalized sound signature preference on paper and the TB + M50 pads matches that perfectly.
Trying to top that is going to be too tough.

If there was every an open DJ100 with amazing comfort i'd sell off my Q701 and HD-650.

Q701 bass modded is VERY close. That still has more treble though.

BTW the DJ100 sounds great with the E9! The DJ100 doesn't care about output impedance. I once tried it with a 330 ohm output receiver and it didn't change a bit. Many people here use a receiver with the DJ100. I've never heard any noise either.

O2 is also perfect with the DJ100.

May 12, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #2,082 of 2,344
May 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #2,084 of 2,344
I would love a comparison between the donscorpio dolphin with the foam mod and the koss prodj100 with m50 pads.
According to some people from the asian headphone thread...
Dolphins:
More sub bass
Brighter
Much better sound stage

Koss prodj100
More forward mids
Less fatiguing
More neutral overall
Im guessing thats correct. There havent been any true direct comparisons between the 2 but this what it seems like according to reviews.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2657356

May 12, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #2,085 of 2,344
I don't know where you found that comparison (did I make it somewhere?) but I don't think that the Dolphin's are brighter NIR do I find the DJ100's leas fatiguing (I find both very little fatiguing). The soundstage on the Dolphin's is better but not much better.

Hope this helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back