Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
May 7, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #2,056 of 2,344
I think dj100 resonate quite a bit. A damping mod might do them well. Also the cable is terrible. It's too short because I don't like when it stretches and pulls left cup from my ear. It's bad for portable use too.

• Get rid of the resonances
  • Recable
  • Make them isolate better

And we have a very nice headphone.

May 7, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #2,057 of 2,344
(sorry for my bad English, but it's not my native language)

So, I finally decided to order these Koss Pro DJ 100 headphones, including the M50 pads. As I'm waiting for these goods to be delivered sometime later this week, I found my pre-ordered FiiO X5 DAP in my mailbox. Now I'm very happy with this new gadget, but I was wondering if anyone on this thread has already tested this combination of Koss Pro DJ 100 and FiiO X5. And, more imporantly to me, can anyone tell me if they have good synergy with each other.

I'll post my own findings here when I get a chance to do a good listening session with them (after burning in the Pro's of course), but feel free to share your own experiences in the mean time.

May 7, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #2,058 of 2,344
  I think dj100 resonate quite a bit. A damping mod might do them well. Also the cable is terrible. It's too short because I don't like when it stretches and pulls left cup from my ear. It's bad for portable use too.

• Get rid of the resonances
  • Recable
  • Make them isolate better

And we have a very nice headphone.

I've tried to add some dampening material years ago but it changed the sound signature too much. Possibly due to lack of room inside the cups.
To add any it has to be super thin. I tried super thin blu-tack and that seems to give the best result.

I might try to add material to the back of the magnet. I thought it maybe altered the sound in a bad way but that was probably some placebo effect. Probably impossible!

I have the TB version and I use a straight cable with it. I almost never suggest the DJ100 for portable use, but it depends totally on the source.

Someone mentioned the Fiio X5. I bet that will be a nice match for the DJ100. I think it uses a Wolfson DAC right? The DJ100 loves those. For whatever reason I didn't love the E10 with the DJ100 (a bit too dark), but the E17 is fine.

The X3 uses a AD8397 op-amp and that is also a good match for the DJ100. That's what my Headroom Total Airhead uses. That thing seems to have way more than enough power for most headphones. Probably not a good match for IEMs though.

May 7, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #2,059 of 2,344
I am using my Fiio X5 with the Koss DJ200s.  I don't have a lot of experience with other headphones, but I find this to be a great combination. The detail is very satisfying and the bass is just right.  I like neutrality, but expect the bass to be present with a little snap; the DJ200s suit my taste.  I tried some ATH M50s with my X5 and preferred my DJ200s - I found the M50 to be a little muddy and less precise compared to the Koss cans.  I intend to replace the ear pads with M50 pads based on the comments in this forum.  The DJ200s will keep me happy until I buy some V-Moda XS headphones for the road.

I agree with the cable complaints. I don't like either of the cables that come with the DJ200s. I'm using an after market  Ion cable with a straight plug on one end and a right angle on the other.  It's much better than the short fat Koss cable or the coiled one.

May 9, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #2,060 of 2,344
@tdockweiler
Actually, the Fiio X5 uses a Burr Brown TI PCM1792 DAC and works pretty well with the Koss DJ Pro 100. So far I have only got 5 hours of burn in on the DJ Pro 100 (and about 14 on the FiiO X5, but I´m not touching the DAP burn in debate), but I like what I hear. And it´s supposed to get even better, right?

@Canaudio
Question: do you use the high or the low gain setting when listening to your DJ200´s through the FiiO X5?

May 9, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #2,061 of 2,344
@Canaudio
Question: do you use the high or the low gain setting when listening to your DJ200´s through the FiiO X5?

I find myself switching back and forth, depending on the album I'm listening to. On some albums that have been recorded at lower levels I will use the high gain setting rather than crank up the volume.  I have not been able to decide whether there is any difference in SQ between low and high gain with comparable volume settings.  So far my default I guess is the low gain setting.

May 9, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #2,062 of 2,344

Totally agree. I've found that with this headphone it will improve the more you spend on it. Of course i'm not suggesting $500 in gear for a $50 headphone.
I just think it's a good headphone for those who already have a very good setup (desktop amp/dac) and an open headphone.

I would say it's very close in sound to the modded Q701. The DJ100 is still a bit fuller sounding and has more bass extension.

NOTE: The DJ100 sounds nothing like the K702. This is also with a good desktop amp/dac and M50 pads. Actually, the Tony Bennett version to. Some say that sounds slightly different, but maybe not.

I like the DJ100 with almost every DAC i've tried. It sounds great with the ODAC, Modi and Headroom Micro DAC.

I don't use the DJ100 much with portable devices because it sounds more closed in sounding on some of them.

I also think the DJ100/TB with M50 pads is a perfect (cheap) gaming headphone. I played through Uncharted 2 and Bioshock 2 with it and it really has better bass than the modded Q701. Probably comparable in low bass to the KRK KNS-8400.

Plug them into  a normal stereo amp  and they really sound awesome.  Have them plugged into a Onkyo amp with  a 24  band equalizer behind them.  They sound amazing specially on a clean vinyl record .   Can you say detail ??   
L3000.gif

May 11, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #2,063 of 2,344
No offence guys, but this headphone is vastly overrated. Best under $200? The Fidelio L1 says hi.. 

Now I am not hating on these. They are very good, much better then the SR-80i, but I think that's the extent of their performance. They are better than the $40 I spent on them, but I would never drop more than $60 on them. They just aren't worth it IMO. I find my L1 to stomp them repeatedly then give them a big ole curb stomp. But for $40 they are an amazing value.

May 11, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #2,064 of 2,344
^ agreed. Comfort and cable sux

May 11, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #2,065 of 2,344
No offence guys, but this headphone is vastly overrated. Best under $200? The Fidelio L1 says hi.. 

Now I am not hating on these. They are very good, much better then the SR-80i, but I think that's the extent of their performance. They are better than the $40 I spent on them, but I would never drop more than $60 on them. They just aren't worth it IMO. I find my L1 to stomp them repeatedly then give them a big ole curb stomp. But for $40 they are an amazing value.

Blame OP.

May 11, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #2,066 of 2,344

It's not really overrated. Not many people have really tried it yet. There's no huge fan-base of these compared to the M50 and others. Lots of reviews on Amazon however. I think it's up to 200 now!

So you don't like them..that's fine. Just move along already and find out something else you like. Mainly it's all due to how you hear things and personal preferences. I must have gone through a dozen or more headphone that were closed to find a favorite.

Since you seem to love the Beyerdynamic type sound, most likely you would not love these. IMO the DT-880 and HD-600 are the most overrated headphones ever made and I know you'll disagree.
normal_smile .gif

I am on the search for something better under $200 (that "I" like, not you) that's closed, but no luck. I've given up. I do like the SRH-840 and the M50 is OK. The last one I tried was the K550 and that was a major disappointment. I returned it within two days. Even the KRKs were better.

M50 really is less balanced to me and isn't worth the $100-$150. It is however easier for some to like. I have no problems suggesting the M50 if you like that sound signature.

KRK KNS-8400 is good, but I accidentally killed mine. It does have a bit more treble than I like.

I refuse to buy any Philips headphone. What moron designs a headphone without being able to change the pads? Maybe Philips doesn't want us to mod their headphone or see the insides. $150 is too much for a headphone if you can't replace the pads. Philips needs to change this and then maybe i'd take them seriously. I lost trust in Philips when they had to go and release dozens of crappy MP3 players and then stop supporting them a month later. Look at what they did with the Uptown and Downtown.

BTW I would actually say these are better than the HD-650 and modded Q701. Don't care if anyone thinks i'm nuts. This is with the Headroom Micro Amp + Micro DAC or even a lowly O2. But that's major overkill. You can't really compare them since two of them are open. The DJ100 with M50 pads has better bass (including more extension) and is actually clearer sounding yet even fuller sounding in the mids. Obviously the DJ100 has a more closed in sound.

The stock excuse is that the Q701 is technically better, but I actually think it's driver is nothing special. I do love the Q701 though. Modded Q701 gets close to the DJ100 with M50 pad sound though, but still not as clear or full sounding. Make the modded Q701 have more low bass presence and fuller mids and you have the DJ100 +M50 pads sound (with a good amp/dac).

One last thing... there is a very real chance that the DJ100s sound can be worse if you have very large ears. Same could cause a huge variation between any smaller closed headphone.

To annoy even more people, the SRH-940 and K550 are a joke compared to the DJ100 at it's best
biggrin.gif

SR-225is is very good and probably comparable to the DJ100 in many ways (not when it comes to sound signature really).

I put the DJ100's driver itself at the same level as that of the SR-225i, Q701 and HD-650. The DJ100 driver is actually held back by it's stock pads and enclosure. I only know this because i've transplanted it several times and made it open.

An open DJ100 sounds like a warmer sounding Q701. Koss should have taken advantage of this, but they apparently hate open headphones!

EDIT: I just read the L1 is now discontinued. Good job Philips!

May 11, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #2,067 of 2,344
Blame OP.

Totally!
I was so wrong. Whenever I say a headphone is good everyone on Head-Fi should love it. If not, I should give them a refund.
After all, everyone likes the same headphones and hears the same way. Having different sized ear-holes is a myth and has been proven by SCIENCE!
It's been proven that 99.9% of people will like any neutral sounding headphone.

I'm going to change the thread title to "Koss Pro DJ100 - The HD800 killer?" Totally accurate!
I would probably get hate mail saying i'm wrong and I LIE!

Someone will probably sell their HD800 because I told them it was better and only cost $40!

May 11, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #2,068 of 2,344

An open DJ100 sounds like a warmer sounding Q701. Koss should have taken advantage of this, but they apparently hate open headphones!

I have a set of Koss UR40s, purchased for $29.95 (they and this thread are what prompted me to buy the DJ200s)  The UR40s are cheaply made, but they are an open headphone; they sound pretty good and if your head isn't too big they are incredibly comfortable and light.  Too bad Koss has not made a better quality version with a single sided detachable cable

May 11, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #2,069 of 2,344
It's all personal opinion. My opinion is: they are very good for the price. I preferred them to my MDR-V6's, which I chose to sell over these. Asking price, I would ask $75.
It has a removable cable, does well with almost every genre, rarely comes out as fatiguing for long periods of use. Build quality is top notch, but comfort is so-so. Treble sounds kind of odd on these at times. They really do need some power to sound the best.. I just plugged them into my Xonar DG and they sound so much better. I normally just use these as my portables straight out of my S3. I think I will invest in a Fiio soon.

May 11, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #2,070 of 2,344
The thing is that best under $200 is subjective and to claim that is big, especially if other member are inexperienced. I never said I hated them, I quite love them. So what if I prefer the beyer signature, I still acknowledge that these are great headphones. They are the best headphone Koss makes next to their electrostatic headphones, but they aren't exactly best under $200. I know you think they are, and hey that's your opinion and I respect it. The only thing I am arguing is how you word it as if they ARE the best under $200, not your preference. You worded like these are the definitive headphone in that price bracket. Hopefully that clarifies what I meant.

Would I buy theme again? Maybe if they are $30 or so but I already have too many headphones. The DJ100 is quite warm and bassy, which I do like. I own the L1 and X1, which are warm and bassy. They are great for metal and are actually a good all-rounder headphone. I just find they aren't the best value after a certain amount of money.

No hard feelings I hope. I do enjoy reading through this thread and I've always enjoyed my conversations with you man. I don't want a little misunderstanding destroy that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back