Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Oct 22, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #91 of 2,344

Oh yeah, with a Zune HD I imagine you could go ampless for sure. My guess is that thing is even better at driving headphones than the Ipod Touch. I imagine also something like the Cowon S9 could drive the DJ100 with ease. I had the old Zune and didn't like it at all. Looks like Microsoft finally got it right.

DJ100 ampless with my Ipod Touch isn't too bad and quite good, but I still like to include an E5.

BTW good luck at making any sense of that mess of wires in the cup
normal_smile%20.gif

Quote:
I use a Zune HD and it does a mighty fine job and even at half volume I rarely have to turn it up more. Plus the Zune HD is a smoother sounding player and I like that. I can see how the ipod didn't do it as it's a weak player to begin with.

I was planning on putting a small ring of Dynamat Extreme around the inside of the cup (cut a thin circle out of a circle of Dynamat Extreme). Then I was going to use a small circle of self adhesive felt and place it in the center of the cup. The acoustic fiber would be an experiment on my end.

For the recable I was going to leave the right drivers wire alone but just get rid of the switch somehow. Maybe just snip wires (if there are any to snip). I didn't plan on taking out the routing wire at all.  

Oct 22, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #92 of 2,344
Quote:
Does the Panasonic have more bass than the DT-770 Pro 80? DT-770 Pro 80 would have been perfect for me if it had a little less bass. If I ever find another pair for $100 I'd buy them again.
I need to find a Beyer headphone with forward mids. Maybe the DT-860 is the one to try next.

I think the Panasonic actually has less bass than the DJ100. Hits harder though. Haven't listened to either much lately though since I'm finally getting good results from my orthos!

Basically, the HTF-600 is warm and kind of boxy sounding with more laid back treble, the DJ100 is richer, less warm and more shouty with more upper mids and treble. I think the Koss definitely wins on clarity though.

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #93 of 2,344

Quote:
I think the Panasonic actually has less bass than the DJ100. Hits harder though. Haven't listened to either much lately though since I'm finally getting good results from my orthos!

Basically, the HTF-600 is warm and kind of boxy sounding with more laid back treble, the DJ100 is richer, less warm and more shouty with more upper mids and treble. I think the Koss definitely wins on clarity though.

I completely agree with this statement.  I find the dj100s superior in every category compared to the htf600s.  The htf600s are bassier headphones but the bass on the dj100s goes deeper to my ears.  The bass has more detail on the dj100s as well.

The clarity in the highs and mids are no contest as well.  The dj100s take the lead in all categories.  Especially once the m50 pads are on there.

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #94 of 2,344
You know Dock, you should really try their PRO3AA headphones. They sound like a much bigger version of the KSC75 (in a very good way). I really like them and find them superior to the PRODJ100, but they aren't the best built. They also have to be dampened with Dynamat and perhaps a tab bit of acoustic stuffing.

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #95 of 2,344

Quote:
You know Dock, you should really try their PRO3AA headphones. They sound like a much bigger version of the KSC75 (in a very good way). I really like them and find them superior to the PRODJ100, but they aren't the best built. They also have to be dampened with Dynamat and perhaps a tab bit of acoustic stuffing.

Yeah I tried those awhile back. Maybe a year ago. Koss told me that they sounded similar to the DJ100. The only problems I had with them is the clamping force. It felt like my head was in a vise. They also had too much bass for me from what I recall. I don't believe I burned them in though.

I do like the KSC75 and prefer it to the Porta Pro. I even recabled my KSC75 and attached it to my Porta Pro's headband. It's hard to believe they're only $15.

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #96 of 2,344
Finally got a pair of these after wanting them for awhile. Couldn't pass up getting them for 48 USD shipped.

I'd heard them before and they're probably my favorite cans under 150.

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #97 of 2,344
I have PRO3AA's on hand right now for repair and they don't have a clamp at all. Maybe they are stretched out? 

Also the bass can be tamed with Dynamat as it's stock form is bloated and messy. I swear the Dynamat makes a nice difference on them. It makes the bass a bunch tighter and controlled.

And yes the KSC75 is a true bargain and IMO sounds like a $50 headphone. The amount of performance they extrude is insanity. Insanity? THIS IS HEAD-FI.ORG! We are all crazy to a degree.

Quote:
Yeah I tried those awhile back. Maybe a year ago. Koss told me that they sounded similar to the DJ100. The only problems I had with them is the clamping force. It felt like my head was in a vise. They also had too much bass for me from what I recall. I don't believe I burned them in though.

I do like the KSC75 and prefer it to the Porta Pro. I even recabled my KSC75 and attached it to my Porta Pro's headband. It's hard to believe they're only $15.

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #99 of 2,344
You seem to really dig these headphones and doing a crazy amount of mods with them lol. I've been interested in these headphones for a while now. I think they are bit more difficult to get them in Canada. Maybe KOSS ships to Canada. If you ever do get a PA2V2 amp to try with the DJ100 an update on how they sound together would be nice! I love reading what you're doing with them haha

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #100 of 2,344
a question regarding a amp: im looking for a fairly cheap amp for these headphones; under 50$ what would you recommend?  I'm leaning towards the e5 or e6  or maybe the pa2v2 with my zune 80gb

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #101 of 2,344

Quote:
a question regarding a amp: im looking for a fairly cheap amp for these headphones; under 50$ what would you recommend?  I'm leaning towards the e5 or e6  or maybe the pa2v2 with my zune 80gb

They like the E5. I don't know if they'll be a good match with the E6 (haven't heard it). I'm sure it will be if it has the same sound signature as the E5. PA2V2 I haven't heard yet. I think there was one person around here that used that amp for the DJ100.

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #102 of 2,344
Sorry I sent them back out today but I can tell you what they look like. They look like a larger KSC75 driver. They are bigger but not by a ton, maybe only 15% bigger it seems. 

Quote:
@ Zombie_X
Can you open the pro3aat and show us the drivers?

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #104 of 2,344

Quote:
How picky is the DJ100 regarding amplification?

would a mini3 or an iBasso D3 or Digizoid Zo2 would be suitable? if anyone have tried them, except the Zo2, yet

IMO they're quite picky..or maybe it's that I'M too picky! I haven't tried any of those amps yet, but maybe others have.
So far my favorite amps for them are the Nuforce Icon Mobile, E5 and Total Airhead. The E5 makes them sound somewhat similar to the Nuforce Icon, but makes the DJ100 seem to have a bit more treble.

I disliked the E11 and E7 with the DJ100. I think the E11 is supposed a warm sounding amp and maybe that's why? Not sure. Worst combination I heard the DJ100 with was the E9 + E7. Now, I like my E9, but just bad synergy or something. The E9 was ok, but as long as I didn't use the E7 as a DAC. Strange. DJ100 really needs a neutral source to be at it's best too. On my Ipod Touch they're a bit more bass heavy.

BTW in ljokerl's review he said the following were the best matches for the DJ100:

"Tianyun Zero, iBasso D10 (stock caps), and a mini3"

Here's the review he did:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-94-portable-headphones-reviewed-audio-technica-ath-es10-added-10-8-11

Do a CTL-F search for B17 to get to it fast.

Right now I'm using the following:

DJ100, m50 Pads, Fiio LOD, Sansa Fuze, Nuforce Icon Mobile

Strangely enough, headphone amps that work well with the D2000 and M50 seem to be good for the DJ100!

Nuforce Icon Mobile is amazing for the D2000, DJ100 and M50! Not a very powerful amp though, but includes a built in DAC. I returned my E7 because I prefer the Icon.

The above setup with just the E5 will sound similar, but the Nuforce Icon Mobile has smoother treble, but slightly more forward mids.

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #105 of 2,344
One of my favorite matches for the D2/5/7 is the E9, so we obviously have different opinions lol. 

I will get on board with the E7 feelings though. I didn't like the E7 much at all when I had it as it just made everything sound dark. I liked the sound of the Icon Mobile more, but returned that one because the build quality was awful. 

I do really need to get some M50 pads for mine though as the stock ones are pretty terrible. 

Oh, and I agree with you iPod touch comment as well. Seems that from my netbook or iPhone directly they're more bassy than when properly amped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

IMO they're quite picky..or maybe it's that I'M too picky! I haven't tried any of those amps yet, but maybe others have.
So far my favorite amps for them are the Nuforce Icon Mobile, E5 and Total Airhead. The E5 makes them sound somewhat similar to the Nuforce Icon, but makes the DJ100 seem to have a bit more treble.

I disliked the E11 and E7 with the DJ100. I think the E11 is supposed a warm sounding amp and maybe that's why? Not sure. Worst combination I heard the DJ100 with was the E9 + E7. Now, I like my E9, but just bad synergy or something. The E9 was ok, but as long as I didn't use the E7 as a DAC. Strange. DJ100 really needs a neutral source to be at it's best too. On my Ipod Touch they're a bit more bass heavy.

Right now I'm using the following:

DJ100, m50 Pads, Fiio LOD, Sansa Fuze, Nuforce Icon Mobile

Strangely enough, headphone amps that work well with the D2000 and M50 seem to be good for the DJ100!

Nuforce Icon Mobile is amazing for the D2000, DJ100 and M50! Not a very powerful amp though, but includes a built in DAC. I returned my E7 because I prefer the Icon.

The above setup with just the E5 will sound similar, but the Nuforce Icon Mobile has smoother treble, but slightly more forward mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back