Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Mar 29, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #1,726 of 2,344
I did compare 3 of my portable phones last week using a "fiio E06 + Sansa Clip Zip" (on the train, bus + walking) (sorry for my english, i try my best):
- DJ 100 (with the M50's)
- HD-25
- DT-250-250
pics:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7985007/Head-Fi/Sansa%2BFiio.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7985007/Head-Fi/Portable%20cans.jpg

The 25 and 250-250 are twice as expensive, but the price difference is justified IMO.
The Beyer and the Senn are clearly superior headphones. In almost every aspects.
BUT, tdockweiler is right, the DJ 100 benefits a lot from a juicy amp.
The HD-25 has even better vocals then the Koss, which was a huge surprise to me since the HD-25's mids are at best average.

The Beyer is an outstanding closed headphone. It combines like no other neutrality and musicality.
It has everthing under control: bass, mids, highs. It's like a great orchestra conductor. I've just sold my DT-880 600 for that reason.
It sounds so natural compared to the DJ 100 (at least to MY DJ 100, other batches may sound better).
It's a professional heaphone. Accurate and reliable. Brilliant.
I wont elaborate. There is a DT-250 appreciation thread, with donutus (spelling?) in the role of the chief evangelist. A must read.

The HD-25 is a workhorse, also used by many pros (filmmakers, recording studios, etc. and the most used DJ headphone in the world for ages).
It has amazing upper lows. The mids don't shine but the overall PRaT is exceptional. Great allrounder (except for classical music).
Like the Beyer, it is indestructible. It has the best isolation of the three (same level as TMA-1 or Spirit One).
I guess everything has already been said on the HD-25. You cannot go wrong here if you have the extra cash.

I won't comment much on the DJ 100 because nobody will agree. It's like everyone has a different opinion.
No consensus here (or among hardcore fanboys only). That means you should test it before making a decision.
To me, it sounds unnatural, unbalanced, with overwhelming and uncontrolled lows, recessed vocals (second row back-seat) and a nasty high-mids drop, which probably benefits to the highs, that I find excellent.
I found out that the DJ100 revives old hard-rock and punk CDs (that sound horrible with my Q701). It makes pop and dance tracks really fun and enjoyable.
With the right genres, it is fun and engaging. It has his strenghts (imaging, details) and I will keep it in my quiver. No doubt.

I know the DJ 100 fanboys will give me hell for that post... LOL

P.S.: the DJ 100 is hard to beat in this price range but the Panasonic RP-HTX7 is a great alternative too

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #1,727 of 2,344
Quote:
The Beyer is an outstanding closed headphone. It combines like no other neutrality and musicality.
It has everthing under control: bass, mids, highs. It's like a great orchestra conductor. I've just sold my DT-880 600 for that reason.

Say what, Sold ur dt 880 because it didn't keep everything under control q.q I have teh dt 88- 250 and it does JUST that, you may have not been using enough power to drive teh 600 ohms

Non the less, might pick up  tbse after my next pay check! So long as tuesday morn has a return policy 

Mar 29, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #1,728 of 2,344
Quote:
To me, it sounds unnatural, unbalanced, with overwhelming and uncontrolled lows, uber-veiled vocals and a nasty high-mids drop.

Does yours really have plastic cups? If so, that's just a bad sign. I saw your old pictures and they look authentic Koss headphones. Can you exchange it for a different pair or see if you can demo another pair?

Something is seriously wrong if you get uncontrolled/sloppy bass. You could even contact Koss and get another pair for free. They have a no questions asked replacement guarantee. Vocals should generally sound crystal clear unless it's a poor recording.

One suggestion is to try it with another source too and see if things improve. Lately I've been preferring Ipods to the Clip+ or Fuze by far. However my DJ100 did sound great with just the Clip+ when using M50 pads. Maybe you can see if you can test your DJ100 with someone's Iphone if you can find one.

Sometimes a LOD cable to amp sounds better, but not always.

Another idea is to try it with a desktop computer straight from the soundcard or from a receiver. If there is no change and the bass is still really bad, then you might have a defect.

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #1,730 of 2,344
I saw the DJ200 at best buy today in the demo area. The cups looked almost plastic, but it was really hard to tell.
I'm sure they're metal. The DJ200's cups look identical to the European version of the DJ100. They have the silverish/white Koss logo on the outside.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #1,731 of 2,344
Hi guys...

Sorry to bother but i also would like to buy one of these two headphones and since i can not try them first i would really like someone to advise me eich one is better for my likings....

I already have a pair of AKG K81/518dj and a pair of Creative Aurvana Live!'s Wich are really good.

I listen to a little bit of everything but i specially listen to trance music wich need good detail and sparkly treble for the uplifting parts of it...

I am not a bass head, so i prefer a good and tight bass and very nice detailled treble (for example my k518dj have too much bass that cover's erverything...).

I was at first leaning towards the v6 because of all the praise, durability, sound detail and lots of treble, but many peolple told me these are not good for music and that they are too harsh (once again this is what people told, i never tried any one of these before...)... these koss were suggested to me because it seems they are better for music than the v6 and that the treble is better and sparkly as well (not as harsh on the v6).

Both cost around 50 pounds on amazon....

Wich one guys? :)

Thank you....

Edit: By the way, i will be using these with my ipod touch 4g or other ipods (I have no amps), sometimes on my laptop or my nexus 7. 

One question about the Koss lifetime warranty...If i completely trash the Koss's (physically), does the warranty still applies? Or does the lifetime warranty only is applied for internal flaws (blown drivers, etc...)?

Mar 30, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #1,732 of 2,344
I was THRILLED to find these at a tuesday store for the advertised price. All aspects of the packaging are first rate: the box, the case, even the promotional pamphlet. 

I had promised myself to burn these in for at least 50 hours before giving them a go, but I gave in to temptation and listened to them right out of the box. 

For the first minute or two, I was very disappointed. The sound signature couldn't be more different from the two pairs of phones in my collection: the portapros and apple earpods. However, I eventually listened to about 10 songs or so, and gradually I became amazed by my ability to complete forget the technology, and simply enjoy the music with the 100's.

As others have reported the mids are the most prominent aspect of the sound signature. You won't get boomy bass or sizzling highs. If you want that type of excitement, there are many other brands and models of 'phones out there for you. 

If you own bassy headphones like the portapros you will definitely have to retrain your ears and brain to appreciate the dj100's, for instance. And the dj100's don't have the modestly boosted treble response of the earpods either. Both highs and lows are a little bit rolled off. 

I'll report back after the burn-in period to see if my impressions change. I'm hoping that after this burn in, there will be more 'punch' to the signature.

Mar 30, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #1,733 of 2,344
Quote:
Hi guys...

Sorry to bother but i also would like to buy one of these two headphones and since i can not try them first i would really like someone to advise me eich one is better for my likings....

I already have a pair of AKG K81/518dj and a pair of Creative Aurvana Live!'s Wich are really good.

I listen to a little bit of everything but i specially listen to trance music wich need good detail and sparkly treble for the uplifting parts of it...

I am not a bass head, so i prefer a good and tight bass and very nice detailled treble (for example my k518dj have too much bass that cover's erverything...).

I was at first leaning towards the v6 because of all the praise, durability, sound detail and lots of treble, but many peolple told me these are not good for music and that they are too harsh (once again this is what people told, i never tried any one of these before...)... these koss were suggested to me because it seems they are better for music than the v6 and that the treble is better and sparkly as well (not as harsh on the v6).

Both cost around 50 pounds on amazon....

Wich one guys? :)

Thank you....

Edit: By the way, i will be using these with my ipod touch 4g or other ipods (I have no amps), sometimes on my laptop or my nexus 7. 

One question about the Koss lifetime warranty...If i completely trash the Koss's (physically), does the warranty still applies? Or does the lifetime warranty only is applied for internal flaws (blown drivers, etc...)?

From my early impressions, I'd say the 100's are definitely not the type of 'phones which will highlight or boost treble response. Actually, I actively attempt to avoid any 'phones with exaggerated or boosted high frequencies. 

I'm not sure what your setup is, but if you have an ipod or listen on your computer, try using an equalizer program instead. 

If you MUST have boosted treble, grado's are the leading brand for that type of sound. I avoid those types of 'phones very strictly however as I said. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #1,734 of 2,344
Quote:
I just picked up a used pair of these off the forums. They sound a little thin to me, but I'm comparing them to much more expensive headphones that they shouldn't match up against. For the price, I'm quite impressed, and the build is much better than I would have hoped for. They seem very durable, and the headband adjustment has a better tactile quality than many more expensive cans. I have to commend them for offering such a solid product, not giving in to the bass-above-everything trend, and supplying a lifetime warranty with a lower end product. Great beater cans...

I agree with this review. I wonder if your impression or mine will change with a significant amount of burn in.

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #1,737 of 2,344
Quote:
Say what, Sold ur dt 880 because it didn't keep everything under control q.q I have teh dt 88- 250 and it does JUST that, you may have not been using enough power to drive teh 600 ohms

Non the less, might pick up  tbse after my next pay check! So long as tuesday morn has a return policy 

My O2 had enough power to drive the DT-880 600. The 880 is top-notch and keeps everything under control, but I'm not a big fan of the Beyer signature.
Although it's a Beyer, the DT-250's signature is different. It has a subtle treble roll-off that has a magic effect
cool.gif
Also,  I didn't use it enough to justify keeping it. At home, the Q701 is a no-brainer.

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #1,738 of 2,344
Quote:
I saw the DJ200 at best buy today in the demo area. The cups looked almost plastic, but it was really hard to tell.
I'm sure they're metal. The DJ200's cups look identical to the European version of the DJ100. They have the silverish/white Koss logo on the outside.

I'm pretty sure (like 95%) the cups of my DJ 100 are plastic.
I was confused because you guys said the cups are made of metal.
Does it mean they are fakes
eek.gif
? That would indeed explain a lot of things.
The reseller is reliable and who is the fool that would make almost perfect copies of the DJ 100? These cans are not a mass product like the Beats. The return on investment would be highly unattractive.
tdockweiler, could you tell the difference if I post a close-up picture?

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #1,739 of 2,344
Quote:

I'm pretty sure (like 95%) the cups of my DJ 100 are plastic.
I was confused because you guys said the cups are made of metal.
Does it mean they are fakes
eek.gif
? That would indeed explain a lot of things.
The reseller is reliable and who is the fool that would make almost perfect copies of the DJ 100? These cans are not a mass product like the Beats. The return on investment would be highly unattractive.
tdockweiler, could you tell the difference if I post a close-up picture?

Do they get cold to the touch ever? If not, then it's probably 100% plastic. I don't know if I could tell from a close-up picture, but maybe.
I would actually look inside the cups if you can and see if there is a bunch of holes drilled inside them down to the aluminum. You should see some holes and then inside those holes you will see silver aluminum if it's there. Some DJ100s don't have these holes drilled down to the aluminum though.

The insides of the cups would give me a better idea of if they're fakes. Just take extreme care in opening them if you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back