Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Mar 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #1,757 of 2,344
Not sure if this is evidence of 2 different makes of the DJ100, but in the youtube video just linked a couple of posts ago, the Koss logo on the cups isn't white or silver - I think some have said that the lettering in theirs is white or silver. Just a thought.

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #1,758 of 2,344
Perhaps echo is the wrong term. You don't literally hear everything twice, lol. It's more like sound decay is very slow--the sounds 'linger' and resonate inside the cup. This doesn't happen with open 'phones so it's something that surprised me with the 100's. 

I'm firmly in the camp of 'unless the 100's suddenly wow me after 50-100 burn in hours after underwhelming me out of the box they're going back' camp however, so take with a grain of salt. :)

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #1,759 of 2,344
I don't listen to many closed headphones, so my experience is limited.  But, it's been my experience that the closed cans I've used sound a tad more congested and have a slower decay.

Quote:
Perhaps echo is the wrong term. You don't literally hear everything twice, lol. It's more like sound decay is very slow--the sounds 'linger' and resonate inside the cup. This doesn't happen with open 'phones so it's something that surprised me with the 100's. 

I'm firmly in the camp of 'unless the 100's suddenly wow me after 50-100 burn in hours after underwhelming me out of the box they're going back' camp however, so take with a grain of salt. :)

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #1,760 of 2,344
Quote:

Hi tdockweiler, here are some pics. By tapping with the finger, they sound like... kitchen plastic cups.
BTW, there's is a pic showing that the DT-250 pads don't really fit. I don't want to rip them by stretching too much.
Regarding the source, I don't see how I could do better:
ALAC or FLAC (and some iTunesPlus) -> foobar2000 in WASAPI event mode, 24 bits, volume at 0.00 dB, all DSPs and EQs by-passed -> ODAC -> O2 (volume knob always in the balanced zone)

Oh, and there is that DJ 100 youtube video. Although the guy is acting like the vacuum cleaner guy on the morning TV shop, he convinced me that they were machined metal cups, haha... damn salesmen...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqkPqjWfD6w

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7985007/DSC00011.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7985007/DSC00012.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7985007/DSC00015.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7985007/DSC00018.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7985007/DSC00030.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7985007/DSC00031.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7985007/DSC00037.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7985007/DSC00038.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7985007/DSC00039.JPG

When I tried the DT-250 pads they fit, but it would probably ruin them. Not sure since I never actually had the DT-250.
I've checked those pictures and they look 100% authentic and not fakes. I could tell by the driver and how the holes inside the cup were drilled. Since you can see the shiny aluminum in the holes I'm sure they're not really plastic cups.

I don't suggest ruining your DT-250 pads because they sound horrible on the DJ100. I think maybe because I did not use the foam that's included.

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #1,761 of 2,344
Quote:
Not sure if this is evidence of 2 different makes of the DJ100, but in the youtube video just linked a couple of posts ago, the Koss logo on the cups isn't white or silver - I think some have said that the lettering in theirs is white or silver. Just a thought.

The versions inside Europe have sort of a white or silver Koss logo on the DJ100 cups. The versions in the USA are plain black. I wonder why there is a difference? Of course the US DJ200 has white/silver logos like the TBSE.
Quote:

I've never heard any resonance or echos on my DJ100/TBSE. It'd probably annoy the heck out of me if I did. I do however hear echos in gaming, but it depends on the room i'm in. For example in Dark Souls near the blacksmith the DJ100 will sound really hollow, but it's due to the room's shape and the open windows. I experienced such weirdness in Uncharted 2 as well. You can actually hear the type of room you're in and how small/large it is. In Uncharted 2 you can hear this effect in that room with the huge statue where you need to move it's arms for a puzzle.

If the DJ100 doesn't wow you after 20-25 hours it probably never will. I certainly don't expect everyone to think of it as highly as I do. When I listen to different sounds it doesn't really sound any worse on my DJ100 than it does on my Q701 or HD-650. I can switch to my $50 TBSE/DJ100 and not be disgusted. My DJ100 is a bit more fun to listen to due to it's slightly more forward mids and a little extra bass. Some people will just not love the DJ100 due to sound signature preferences. For me the DJ100 is neutral with some slight/minor coloration.

I think i'll be stuck with the Q701, DJ100 and HD-650 for the next 5 years or so.

Mar 31, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #1,763 of 2,344
Quote:

If the DJ100 doesn't wow you after 20-25 hours it probably never will.

You stated before that you had a pair that you burned in for 5 days. Did you simply leave them on the entire time, or do so intermittently?

I want to give these headphones a couple of chances at 50 to 100 hours burn in still, but most likely they are a return.

Mar 31, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #1,764 of 2,344
Burn in helps some, but it doesn't drastically change the sound of the headphones.

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #1,767 of 2,344
Quote:

You stated before that you had a pair that you burned in for 5 days. Did you simply leave them on the entire time, or do so intermittently?

I want to give these headphones a couple of chances at 50 to 100 hours burn in still, but most likely they are a return.

Nope I shoved them in a drawer playing loud music while I slept. Only 3-5 days of 8 hours each night. I remember one time I felt I had to burn them in longer because the volume wasn't loud enough. I think 50+ hours for the DJ100 is totally overkill. If any pairs sound good out of the box I wouldn't bother unless shoving them in a drawer overnight is not any trouble. I know the O2+ODAC is perfect, but maybe you will like them more on a different source or amp (assuming you have others to try)? At first for awhile I thought they were better on my Magni instead of the Headroom Micro but now I don't think so..

I'm really wishing I didn't sell my E9 since the DJ100 sounded so good on that..
Quote:
Burn in helps some, but it doesn't drastically change the sound of the headphones.

Unless you get a really horrible pair that sounds like it's defective. Now 99% of people would say this is impossible so I should just not comment. Two of my 7 or 8 DJ100s sounded awful out of the box. I would have loved to measure the differences. I don't burn in any headphone that sounds great out of the box. Sometimes if I don't like a headphone's sound i'll give it a chance for my own amusement and burn it in. I did that for the Kicker HP541..not sure why.

I don't remember the last headphone I burned in. Never needed it for any headphones but the KRKs and DJ100. My first KNS-8400 sounded like icicles stabbing me in the ears.

Not sure why the DJ100 sometimes needs burn in. Someone told me the DJ100 is a titanium coated driver and is fairly stiff out of the box. Not sure if this is true or not. You'd think if this was the case the KSC75 would need some burn in too!
Quote:
Famous last words....

Somehow I've gone an entire year without buying any new headphones over $100! Go me. Everything was traded for mostly.
I wish I could live with only a closed headphone but I really can't. I love the Q701 and HD-650 for gaming.
I think if I spend any more money on this hobby it will be maybe the Bifrost. I doubt the difference between that and the Modi is all that great. I sure hope I'm wrong.

BTW I bet people who love the Porta Pro would love the UR-55. UR-55 is a fun headphone...

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #1,768 of 2,344
As much as I personally like them at their price, it's not a shock if somebody else doesn't dig them. I haven't listened to a wide variety of headphones and I don't have much to compare them to, which is probably why I hold them in such high esteem. To me, they're pretty inoffensive, fairly accurate, and well-built. They may not be giant-slayers, but they're damn good in the sub-$100 department.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #1,769 of 2,344
Quote:
As much as I personally like them at their price, it's not a shock if somebody else doesn't dig them. I haven't listened to a wide variety of headphones and I don't have much to compare them to, which is probably why I hold them in such high esteem. To me, they're pretty inoffensive, fairly accurate, and well-built. They may not be giant-slayers, but they're damn good in the sub-$100 department.

Nice summary. I like to listen at lower volumes, so I appreciate slightly boosted bass and treble. I feel like I need to turn up the volume louder than I'd like with the 100's to really appreciate them, and I don't want to do that. They are really beautiful headphones though; an understated beauty really. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #1,770 of 2,344
Quote:
My O2 had enough power to drive the DT-880 600. The 880 is top-notch and keeps everything under control, but I'm not a big fan of the Beyer signature.
Although it's a Beyer, the DT-250's signature is different. It has a subtle treble roll-off that has a magic effect
cool.gif
Also,  I didn't use it enough to justify keeping it. At home, the Q701 is a no-brainer.

The O2 doesn't have enough power to drive a dt 880 600 ohm well, yet the volume is there but it will sound a little thin ish, still if oyu don'tlike byer house sound [which no amp gets rid of] then I totally understand that to <3 
Quote:
I'm planning on burning these in as follows: 100+ consecutive hours at 50-65 dBA. I plugged them into my old boombox to play fm radio. 

My 100's sound ok out of the box, but not great. Any other suggestions on burn in? I'd really rather not run pink noise loops or burn in at high volume. 

eww
Quote:

yea it does

to each his own, but for me the best burn in is just listen to it, the play some music and shove in a draw is good to but DO NOT play music louder than what'd you listen to. I'm a big burn in beliver BUT I'm not a RUN PINK NOISE FOR 8 hours kinda guy... BOOO LAME, just play regular music. Trust me my dt 880 250's are around like 400 maybe 500 hours and I'm still going... wait WHAT haven't heard that before! recently they've had a nice thick bottom end with vocals that I never noticed before [those upper bass and lower mids are sounding REAL nice, great push and warmth] so even if u listend to your dj 100's EVERY day with the same I dunno 100 songs, after a week or maybe less you'd notice something different... it would just hit you... HAZZAH

so I don't recommend you run pink noise or any of those fancy noise runners, but this is coming from a guy who hates the dj 100s he tried [both pairs] not to mention I LOVED THE PORTA PRO... OMG it was awesome sounding for the price <3

Still I'm broke as crap and might try the TBSE when I'm less broke, gatta at least try the TBSE before I totally hate the dj 100 for ever and ever xD [because I still have bad memories of it and I STILL like the dj 200 A LOT more for some crazy reason] 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back