Koss Portapro Thread
Dec 2, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #1,216 of 1,313
Porta Pros never had great subbass to speak to begin with, they are midbass focused. The Yaxi pads are an improvement over stock both for sound and comfort. Much better quality bass with still rediculous low end (midbass)... stock low end is simply a bit too bloated and overpowering. I also don't run them on neutral/'bass light' reference amps... warm, powerful amps and EQ really wake up the lowend whether they be solid state or tube amp. Porta Pros will never have great subbass though - never had it stock and though Yaxi's improve its extension they still roll off too much and lack a really good presence. Midbass is REALLY nice though, more solid sounding than a TH-X00 Purpleheart (which is a subbass focused headphone...)

Run the Porta Pro with Yaxi pads and PE headband on a Garage 1217 amp and you'll probably not even think they are lacking in bass....

Examples of bass that will punch you in the face with the Porta Pro+Yaxi+PE headband combo on a Garage 1217 Project Polaris:

Yes, it is wildly obvious they do not have any subbass. And I disagree that the stock low end is bloated. For many people, probably, but I think this largely depends on what you are listening to. Your linked songs sound good.

I liked the ppro signature a lot and I ended up buying a few of them. So have them with and w/o yaxi :)

I seem to prefer the stock signature.
Nice. I could see myself getting another pair too, lol. I am looking forward to ear pad rolling.

I present the Koss Porta Poor WIreless

Parts:
  • Koss Porta Pro drivers
  • Parts Express headband
  • Sony SBH24 bluetooth receiver
  • Sony MH755 cable
  • Sweatband
  • Double sided velcro
Whoa, that is crazzieee! How do you like it??

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #1,219 of 1,313
From my vaio flip pc 14" the portapro sound bad.
From a Samsung Galaxy A50 (wired) they sound fine
From the SE of my NW-WM1A, they sound good

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #1,220 of 1,313
From my vaio flip pc 14" the portapro sound bad.
From a Samsung Galaxy A50 (wired) they sound fine
From the SE of my NW-WM1A, they sound good
From my Graham Slee Voyager, they sound absolutely bloomin fantastic! 😊

(Had both for about ten years but have only today thought of using them together, with great results)

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #1,221 of 1,313
I've been listening to my Yaxi Express PP's non-stop at work. With the mic (Massdrop version) they make phone calls and video meetings super easy to switch between. Plus with the XtremPro X1 dac/amp it feels very balanced minus the lighter low end. The earpads feel much more comfortable and headband makes it light and very generic looking so I don't really bring any attention to myself. As a result I leave them randomly sitting out on my desk all the time. My workplace is fairly noisy, so while these don't isolate sound at all, I can still interact with my surrounds quickly and easily. Just posting this to give Koss some well-deserved love.

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #1,222 of 1,313
I've been listening to my Yaxi Express PP's non-stop at work. With the mic (Massdrop version) they make phone calls and video meetings super easy to switch between. Plus with the XtremPro X1 dac/amp it feels very balanced minus the lighter low end. The earpads feel much more comfortable and headband makes it light and very generic looking so I don't really bring any attention to myself. As a result I leave them randomly sitting out on my desk all the time. My workplace is fairly noisy, so while these don't isolate sound at all, I can still interact with my surrounds quickly and easily. Just posting this to give Koss some well-deserved love.

PortaPros are the easiest headphones to wear, and the non-noise isolation is great not only for your surroundings, but also for working out. I have no idea how people run with IEMs or closed back headphones. All you hear is the THUMP, THUMP, THUMP of your feet hitting the ground and your overamplified breathing like you are underwater. PortaPros have zero of these problems and are my defacto workout headphones. Plus, the openback nature means I don't get tons of sweat dripping in my ears like I do with IEMs. Do I look as cool and streamlined as all those other workout rats using "dedicated workout headphones"? Nope. Am I more comfortable? Yes, yes I am.

Feb 9, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #1,225 of 1,313
Feb 9, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #1,226 of 1,313
Yaxi pads?
No, the ones used for modding. Much bigger and thicker then stock ones.
Very comfortable.
Screenshot_20210209-165409.png

Feb 10, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #1,228 of 1,313
No, the ones used for modding. Much bigger and thicker then stock ones.
Very comfortable.
Where do you get them from? Are you using a tera these days?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back