Koss Portapro Thread
Jul 24, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #783 of 1,309
You know what's good about Koss? You can order new portapro/kcs 35 drivers for 6$
biggrin.gif

and mod them into any other housing you like.

Has anyone actually done this, with any other kind if housing, that they can report on? I've placed Craigslist ads offering to pay money for broken Beats by Dre on-ears, and as soon as I get a bite, I'm swapping in the PP drivers & I'll call them PortaBeats! Slightly concerned about losing SQ, but even so the fun and experience of the project will be worth it. If I don't like it, I can just buy another pair of PortaPros!

And if it sounds as good as I expect, then I have so many ideas on ways to have fun with this. "Dude, is your Beats defective? Check out how much clearer mine sound!" If I can score a set with the Bluetooth setup still working, instant PortaBeats wireless!

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #786 of 1,309
Has anyone actually done this, with any other kind if housing, that they can report on? I've placed Craigslist ads offering to pay money for broken Beats by Dre on-ears, and as soon as I get a bite, I'm swapping in the PP drivers & I'll call them PortaBeats! Slightly concerned about losing SQ, but even so the fun and experience of the project will be worth it. If I don't like it, I can just buy another pair of PortaPros!

And if it sounds as good as I expect, then I have so many ideas on ways to have fun with this. "Dude, is your Beats defective? Check out how much clearer mine sound!" If I can score a set with the Bluetooth setup still working, instant PortaBeats wireless!

The on ear beats (solo 2) are already pretty good sounding i doubt putting the koss drivers in will be any better

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #787 of 1,309
I just ordered a pair. Haven't heard one in ages. Haven't seen one in a long time too, they aren't popular around here, nor even sold. But they just look so damn cool I had to have them. Them sounding excellent for the price and having the sound signature I like is a bonus. The graphs over at innerfidelity are darned impressive. Can't wait for the babies to arrive. :)

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #792 of 1,309

They going to be saying "yours is defective mines has more bass."

Also portapro are open backs so puting it in a closed back headphone will have problems with the reflections from the back of the driver. They won't sound as clean as before.

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #793 of 1,309
Been using the Koss Porta Pro headphones with cloth cable modified by me with the Tera Player for around 3.5 years now at least few hours a week.
Very very good sounding headphone,very analogue like in this setup.
The only better one i found was Pioneer Master SE1.
But for the money and a better cable are number 1 in my opinion.

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #794 of 1,309
cont'd: heck, I even ordered the Sennheiser HD 414 pads to replace the stock ones. I was impressed by some of the images I've seen, and since these will be for home use I might as well have (even) better comfort. These just might turn out to be my new computer pair (which isn't where I do the most serious music listening or movie watching mind), replacing the B&W P5s.

Jul 24, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #795 of 1,309
Been using the Koss Porta Pro headphones with cloth cable modified by me with the Tera Player for around 3.5 years now at least few hours a week.
Very very good sounding headphone,very analogue like in this setup.
The only better one i found was Pioneer Master SE1.
But for the money and a better cable are number 1 in my opinion.

The only thing better than the PortaPro is a 2000$ pair of cans. 'kay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back