Koss Portapro Thread
Jul 2, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #751 of 1,312
I just put some Grado L cushion pads around them, leaving the stock pads on, and it's even better. The driver doesn't touch my ear so it gives them a bit more space. These headphones seriously have to be the best value in the audio world. I am really impressed.

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #752 of 1,312
I just put some Grado L cushion pads around them, leaving the stock pads on, and it's even better. The driver doesn't touch my ear so it gives them a bit more space. These headphones seriously have to be the best value in the audio world. I am really impressed.

I never did this myself but it used to be popular to put those yellow Sennheiser HD414 pads on your Portapro backwards.

This was all the rage back in like 2006 when those HD414 pads were actually pretty hard to source.

Now I'm sure other options exist, but when I wore out my pads completely from using them as my only headphones on an international concert tour (my pads fell off at least once every day, lol, shocked i found them every time) i got some replacement pads from china for about $1 shipped, and they have thick stitching on the outer edge which is right where all my stock pads split. so if you want some stock style pads check ebay or wherever for those with the heavy sticiching on the side, they're a bit thicker too so more cushy.

glad to see the portapro still getting love!

Jul 7, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #753 of 1,312
I wish I had tried the PortaPro much sooner, as it probably would have saved me a lot of money. I am not saying it's perfect, just that it serves as a really great low cost barometer against more expensive headphones and would have helped me with the cost/benefit analysis. Without naming other headphones let me just say this thing at $35 is more enjoyable to listen to than some exceeding $200.

Jul 8, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #755 of 1,312
I am looking at a listing for some PortaPro 25th anniversary editions that are claimed to be new for $70 USD. The seller is from China lol, but they assure all original packaging in the listing is intact and included (genuine looking 25th box, coin, Portapro itself looks correct with custom plastic and beefy cord, complete with annoying do not dispose sticker wrapper). If they're being honest about what's included it would be quite a meticulous replica for the price asked in my mind. . . I'd be happy to post the listing from ebay but I don't want to come across as spam, not sure what the forum stance is on this.

What are the chances this is legit? I'd love to get hold of a pair of 25th's, but it has been quite a while since they were released. . .

Jul 8, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #756 of 1,312

Big thumbs up for this easy modification!

I did the same, but I took off the stock pads fist. Much more comfortable and to my ear the sound benefits slightly from the minor reduction in proximity to the ear. 

I have the big yellow Sen pads on my SportaPros and the effect is very similar, I think the Grado pad is a little more comfy and the black is much sexier with the classic porta pro!

Jul 8, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #757 of 1,312
So I got these recently. Just wow.
Not only is the signature kinda warm and just pleasing with older, poorer recordings, I.e. stuff from the 90s on tape, but it's the sheer fact alone that these headphones even exist put me to ease. They're just charming and serve as more or less the pinnacle of those oldschool on ears you would have seen paired with a Walkman. Since I really love nostalgic 90s-00s stuff in the style of the PortaPro, I am breathless.

Here's an album of an ost I find to be cumulative of what these headphones are. A brilliant ambient electronic album that really go well with the Porta Pros, in my opinion. https://youtu.be/QliQ0livbeQ

This headphone is nothing short of beautiful and the world would be a better place if everyone had one.
I kinda want to throw all objectivity out of the window in regards to performance, just the sheer subjective, novelty and nostalgia value was enough to justify the buy for me. The fact that they perform extremely well in their price makes things all the sweeter. They're a piece of history, and what the Portapros are and what they want to be is nothing short of perfection.

If you are contemplating a purchase, please go ahead with it. You will not be dissapointed. These headphones are absolutely timeless and beautiful. In the right time, at the right mood and at the right place, they will not fail to lull you in bliss and bring you to tears.

Also, as a side note, I'm kinda weirded out why people care so much for the noise leakage for the headphone. People are somewhat spoiled with close backs and iems nowadays and personally I don't see the lack of isolation a significant obstacle. Sure, public transport maybe, but even then people have earphones that leak that are worse and other people don't mind too much, although that can kinda vary I guess. Not to mention I have some awareness when im walking around with them on.

This is a fantastic headphone. I also love it the most and came to it from other more expensive headphones. It's just too good. i like the super light form factor, comfort, fantastic sound quality and bass. I only use it with e10k on my pc and the thing rocks. I feel like I should buy 5 more pairs and store them in case of emergency if they will discontinue them some day.
There is also no need for isolation except when someone is in the same (small)room.

And thanks for reminding me about uplink ost ! (now go and listen to Unreal soundtrack by Alexander Brandon... omg)

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #761 of 1,312
It's almost too bad, because if I would like to upgrade I would not be sure what else to get. Especially in on-ear category.

Over ear, if you've got the funds and the gear to drive them, I'd say HD650's. Imagine the Portapros a bit more neutral but with a similar laid back sound but way more detailed, resolving and a much bigger soundstage.

Jul 8, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #762 of 1,312
HD 6X0 is no joke its end game compare it with those ~1k headphones and laugh because these are better or equals. I Prefer my HD 650 modded over my HD 800.

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #764 of 1,312
Try to get a used HD 650 or Sony MA900 (super comfortable, with one of the best soundstage) although bass lite unless modded then it can be bass heavy.

Jul 8, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #765 of 1,312
HD6*0 is not like portapro.

The portapro is unique in a lot of ways. You would need to describe what you listen to, your source(s), preferences and problems with Portapro sound signatures, etc....

I respectfully disagree but I really do not think the HD600 or 650 or even 500 Senn HD 500 series has almost anything in common with PortaPro.

You should look into studio monitor style headphones if anything IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back