Koss Portapro Thread
Jul 8, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #767 of 1,312
They're both laid back and non fatiguing. Obviously in different classes though...

I agree with both sentences in different ways!

Senn HD's are very airy to me...  I always thought something like Planar was much closer to Portapro's actual sound.

I would recommend Sony MDR CD900ST which i just decided to keep and not sell.

Jul 8, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #769 of 1,312
I went and found my dang portapros to compare them agian! dont rembmer how long its been since i used them.

Closest sound I can think of that is similar is Hifiman HE400 followed by M-Audio HDH50  which often goes on sale.

Look into IEMs if those are too big for you or you dont want to amp.

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #770 of 1,312
  I went and found my dang portapros to compare them agian! dont rembmer how long its been since i used them.

Closest sound I can think of that is similar is Hifiman HE400 followed by M-Audio HDH50  which often goes on sale.

Look into IEMs if those are too big for you or you dont want to amp.

I'm only just barely realizing that HDH50 is indded like a full-sized "portapro" of sorts.

Jul 9, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #771 of 1,312
I agree with both sentences in different ways!

Senn HD's are very airy to me...  I always thought something like Planar was much closer to Portapro's actual sound.

I would recommend Sony MDR CD900ST which i just decided to keep and not sell.

Come on man, you can't directly compare Portapros to HD650's lol. I love the Portapros out of my lg v10 while I'm working or out and about. Surprisingly clean and detailed for the money, while still being warm and laid back sounding, and the added bass is welcome when outside noise is present.

At home critically listening they don't cut it for me. The 650's do, while still being slightly warm and laid back, which is the sound signature that I like. Everybody's ears and tastes are different, just sharing my experience owning and using both...

Jul 9, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #773 of 1,312
I'm not. But I disagree that they share many tonal qualities at all - sound signature, imaging, soundstage, airiness (on the HD's part)...

My point is, how can you compare any of the qualities you mention, other than warm or laid back and maybe, just maybe, tonality between a 50 dollar and 500 dollar headphone? Anyway, let's just agree to disagree. Would rather not go back and forth. ✌

Jul 9, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #774 of 1,312
Porta Pro is ok for the price, but there's no way it can be compared to headphones like HD650. Yeah, maybe both are warmish, but only one of them has any kind of resolution. PP should be compared to other 50 bucks-and-under phones, like Aurvana Lives. Sadly they'd lose that one badly.

P.S. The 1st version of Senns PX100 was better than these, imo. The cable was of same quality, though.

Jul 9, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #775 of 1,312
  Porta Pro is ok for the price, but there's no way it can be compared to headphones like HD650. Yeah, maybe both are warmish, but only one of them has any kind of resolution. PP should be compared to other 50 bucks-and-under phones, like Aurvana Lives. Sadly they'd lose that one badly.

P.S. The 1st version of Senns PX100 was better than these, imo. The cable was of same quality, though.

I had the 1st gen PX100 and didn't like it nearly as much as the portapro. all personal, though.

PS my earlier comments (last and this page) comparing to high end headphones - was speaking relativistically in terms of comparable sound quality, by no means am i or was i saying the PortaPro can match any of those headphones in any capacity...

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #777 of 1,312
Hmm, I know me buying whatever color wins would be an utter waste of money as mine are still going strong.  But depending on what color wins I might break down and pick up a pair.

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #778 of 1,312
  Hmm, I know me buying whatever color wins would be an utter waste of money as mine are still going strong.  But depending on what color wins I might break down and pick up a pair.

Same, but having a second set around again would get me to recable one again. The sound can improve dramatically from this so I might do it with some nice cable.

Anyway.... figures my vote is the least popular option
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back