Koss Portapro Thread
Mar 12, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #106 of 1,309
Based on the input here I ordered and just received my Porta Pros. I have Senn 600s which have served me well. I upgraded over the years as new headphones came out and thus far I haven't heard anything that sounds as good as the 600s. I also have Stax Omegas with the SRM-1 MKII. These are my reference cans. I needed something for 'on the run' duty. These cans work!

These little tarts perform quite well. They are clear and the midrange is good - music sounds like music. The bass is acceptable given their price point and the highs are not shrill. I have read the various threads about mods - the kramer one in particular - and will check that out, although I think you have to separate the ear pieces from the frame? I didn't see a black plastic thing with everything stock out of the box.

Having said that, these phones are ridiculously good for the price.

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #108 of 1,309
I don't like Koss PortaPros for solely listening purposes (though I used to), however, I greatly appreciate them. They're easily available and amazing for 50 CAD, making them the absolute perfect pair of headphones for getting people into the world of audio. And even if they don't turn someone into an audiophile, it at least allows for a full appreciation of music for someone with a low budget. For the low-budget buyer, these are one of the best pairs out there, and for many they are all they'll ever need.

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #109 of 1,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like Koss PortaPros for solely listening purposes (though I used to), however, I greatly appreciate them. They're easily available and amazing for 50 CAD, making them the absolute perfect pair of headphones for getting people into the world of audio. And even if they don't turn someone into an audiophile, it at least allows for a full appreciation of music for someone with a low budget. For the low-budget buyer, these are one of the best pairs out there, and for many they are all they'll ever need.

Good way to put it. Relatively Portable for the level of sound you get out of them. Heh! Hence the Name!

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #110 of 1,309
Love mine. First decent headphones I've used and I use em all the time now.

Only complaint I have is the lack of isolation, but its a given. I don't have anything good to compare to though.
frown.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #111 of 1,309
I love mine too. I don't think I have the fortitude to wear them out in public though. And I'm not sure I've ever seen any wearing them either.

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #112 of 1,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love mine too. I don't think I have the fortitude to wear them out in public though. And I'm not sure I've ever seen any wearing them either.

Chick's dig 'em!

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #113 of 1,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chick's dig 'em!

Heck, I'm wearin' mine tomorrow. heh...

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #115 of 1,309
Just got them in today and am now listening to them. Hopefully they get better as they are worn in, right now they just sound like my iRiver headphones. BUT! that still means they are top notch quality lol!

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #116 of 1,309
Quote:

Don't forget the Ray-Bans and the Black Leather...

...with da bell bottoms too!
redface.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #118 of 1,309
I just Kramer modded mine a couple of days ago and I am pleased with how they sound now. The bass is not so overwhelming and is more focused, and oddly enough, the mids are now up front. Great quality for the price.

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #119 of 1,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by keesue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...with da bell bottoms too!
redface.gif

Bell Bottoms and Stack Platform Shoes pre-date PortPros. Ya need the Lounge Lizard Calfskin Half Boots.

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #120 of 1,309
Quote:

Bell Bottoms and Stack Platform Shoes pre-date PortPros. Ya need the Lounge Lizard Calfskin Half Boots.

Ah, yes, I stand corrected. Heh.... good call!

At any rate, just how does one do the Kramer mod? I seem to recall a post in one of the VERY long threads, which prompted me to buy these things, but I hate to go back through it to find it. Can someone advise how? I hate to pull things apart without knowing what I'm doing.
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back