Koss Portapro Thread
Feb 11, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #77 of 1,309
My PortaPros have a solid two years on them and to the current date, no other headphone I have owned gets as much playtime. Easily my favorite headphone, and the one I recommend most often for casual listening when people ask me.

Feb 11, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #78 of 1,309
I've had my two pairs of Porta Pros for ages, and I managed to buy both of them just before the price drop. Lucky me...
They work great with my iPod, I always use them on the move. But connected to a proper amp? Then they are no longer so great to my ears (but the cans I compare with a much more expensive, so it is not quite fair)

(I wrote about the comparison here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...ml#post3760835 )

Jul 26, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #81 of 1,309
i just, LOVE the sound of portapro.

unfortunately, my PPs were fractured due to its plastic fragility.
now i'm looking for a upgrade from PPs. i've heard the Sr80s. similar to the sound i like, but definitely too bright and sharp for me. any suggestions?

Aug 29, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #82 of 1,309
My beloved PPs were damaged enroute from Singapore to Seattle (aisle cart incident while worn by a friend). I think I can rewire the cable and maybe add the 75ohm resister, but as a quick question - which of the Koss units share drivers? I've searched on this and found conflicting reports, as in PortaPro=KSC35; SportaPro=KSC75...
Thanks!
waldemar

Aug 29, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #83 of 1,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by waldemar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My beloved PPs were damaged enroute from Singapore to Seattle (aisle cart incident while worn by a friend). I think I can rewire the cable and maybe add the 75ohm resister, but as a quick question - which of the Koss units share drivers? I've searched on this and found conflicting reports, as in PortaPro=KSC35; SportaPro=KSC75...
Thanks!
waldemar

PortaPro = KSC35 = Sportapro = Pro35A

KSC75 = KTXPro1 = (I Think) UR40

I believe there may be another model somewhere that shares the same driver as one or the other but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #84 of 1,309
The latest iteration of the portapro is amazing. Contrary to popular conception, koss has changed driver design over the years. The changes are quite noticable, and the latest version sounds sweeter than ever.

Original version: although they sounded about as good as anything available for their price when introduced, the midrange was a bit sloppy, and it was way too obvious that the treble response was rolled off.

About ten or so years ago, koss started to pay more attention to their midrange response and the sound quality became warmer, meaning slightly brighter, although they retained their dark sound overall. They still had a tendency towards sloppiness rather than precision with percussion. Anything that sounded shimmery was going to sound like a bit of a distorted mess.

Now, the midrange is quite a bit more accurate. They just don't have the accuracy and detail of the koss ksc75, but the big bass is still there. Huge respect for portapros. Now, better than ever.

Sep 26, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #85 of 1,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by portaprostud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The latest iteration of the portapro is amazing. Contrary to popular conception, koss has changed driver design over the years. The changes are quite noticable, and the latest version sounds sweeter than ever.

Original version: although they sounded about as good as anything available for their price when introduced, the midrange was a bit sloppy, and it was way too obvious that the treble response was rolled off.

About ten or so years ago, koss started to pay more attention to their midrange response and the sound quality became warmer, meaning slightly brighter, although they retained their dark sound overall. They still had a tendency towards sloppiness rather than precision with percussion. Anything that sounded shimmery was going to sound like a bit of a distorted mess.

Now, the midrange is quite a bit more accurate. They just don't have the accuracy and detail of the koss ksc75, but the big bass is still there. Huge respect for portapros. Now, better than ever.

just got a pair last May, and yes they sound great. I cannot believe the SQ on these. then i burned them in and changed the pads to donuts, crap! they sounded even better! audio genius in such a cheap little package! when everybody says they're just like the senn px100s, i just let them listen to someones burned in pair of senns, then have them listen to my pros.. i always blow them away.. ALWAYS..

on the mids though, they are sorta lacking. more like drowned in the bass. just got some ksc75s and they sound superb in the mids and highs out-of-the-box.

Sep 26, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #86 of 1,309
Recommended my room mate get these and he was really amazed at the amount of bass these things put out.

Of Course i auditioned them and they sound just as good as the first time i listened to them, has as much bass as my ES7s, though they lack in the mids and highs for me where the ES7s shine a bit more.

still great cheap phones.

Sep 26, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #88 of 1,309
I like them too.The reason I buyed them is ,that I have owned KSC35 and I really like their's sound.I even changed the Cable to make it mid and high a bit clearer.Well the result is ,that my KSC35 can now challenge even MS1(unbelievable but true). Now I will try to mod my Porta Pro and see how they are advanced after the Mod

Sep 28, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #89 of 1,309
1 vote more for the PortaPro.

KOSS, please, never stop producing it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back