Koss Portapro Thread
Aug 13, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #136 of 1,312
Just heard the portapros for the first time today and whoah! awesome sound. I mean I like them so much I preferred them to grado 325is
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #139 of 1,312
PortaPro has my vote, amazing phones for the price. I really enjoy their sound. Great comfort too, takes around 4 hours before any sign of fatigue.

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #140 of 1,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's two times FIFA World Player of the Year Ronaldinho enjoying a refreshing beverage and the One True Pair of headphones...

foto_392530_CAS.jpg

For someone living in the US, it is delightful to see a pro athlete wearing something other than Beats by Dr. Dre.
beyersmile.png

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #141 of 1,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just heard the portapros for the first time today and whoah! awesome sound. I mean I like them so much I preferred them to grado 325is
biggrin.gif

You take that back, donunus!
atsmile.gif
Seriously, I love my PortaPros as well. Just curious: Are there any Canadian Head-fi'ers out there that have sent theirs in for "repair"--I assume they just replace the whole thing. My right driver keeps falling out of the plastic clasp that keeps it attached to the rest of the 'phone, and I'm wondering if the cost of shipping to and from Koss is cost prohibitive, since I got my pair for about $30. Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #142 of 1,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apthenes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey comfy ! I see you paired the portapro with the Mini3. Can you tell us about your impressions, sq wise ?

I'm currently using KSC-75 drivers with a PortaPro frame, recabled with Mogami and with a 75 Ohm resistor.

And I can't hear much of a difference between the Mini3 or straight from my iPhone. The soundstage is bigger, and the sound is slightly more engaging, but in noisy portable environments the benefit is negligible. At least with KSC-75 or PortaPros.

That said, the Mini3 is a stunning little amp for cans that do benefit from external amping, but it seems that the Koss cans aren't among those that do.

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #143 of 1,312
Thanks for the answer, good to know.

I believe the source is extremely important too. I heard iphones don't benefit much from amplification. But with a 4g iPod+LOD (my configuration), might be different :wink:

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #145 of 1,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinylman98 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
J&R Music has a special right now for the Portapro. $29.99. Free shipping. Hard to beat this price.

Just ordered me a pair for grins. Used to have a pair about 12 years ago.

Oct 21, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #146 of 1,312
My pair of headphones came in yesterday.
When I tried them on with my favourite song, I jizzed in my ears!

smily_headphones1.gif
(My first "real" headphones)

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #147 of 1,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You take that back, donunus!
atsmile.gif
Seriously, I love my PortaPros as well. Just curious: Are there any Canadian Head-fi'ers out there that have sent theirs in for "repair"--I assume they just replace the whole thing. My right driver keeps falling out of the plastic clasp that keeps it attached to the rest of the 'phone, and I'm wondering if the cost of shipping to and from Koss is cost prohibitive, since I got my pair for about $30. Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

i sent mine in a couple years ago - i don't remember how much it cost but it wasn't bad. i do remember they sent them to an old address - even though they were sent with the correct address and i filled out the necessary paperwork (online i assume).

i don't know how they even got an old address, but once i called and we figured out what happened they just sent another pair - and yes, they just send a new pair without the packaging.

no questions or receipt needed.

awesome.

Oct 30, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #148 of 1,312
Found these PortaPros at a Best Buy in Irving, Texas. After listening to the display model, I had to have them.

DSCF0313.png
DSCF0315.png
DSCF0317.png
DSCF0323.png

From what I've learned online, they're a lot like the 25th Anniversary Edition, with the shorter, cloth-covered cable and short, straight plug. Just awesome 'phones!

All the best.

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #150 of 1,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saw those in Best Buy this weekend, too. Is that headband still metal? I guess it could be anodized, but it sure looked like plastic in the box.

Yes, the headband's metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back