KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Feb 9, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #2,506 of 4,052
My pads arrived a few days ago.

But new developments, it looks like we will be selling the pads direct from the US. So as a MOT here, I can't post my impressions, etc.

You can probably figure out where to find my impressions and photos.

Thanks,
-Darin Fong Audio
When do expect to start selling them?

Feb 9, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #2,507 of 4,052
When do expect to start selling them?

I hope to get my first shipment on or around 2/27, but since they're all hand made, they can't crank them out in any kind of quantity.
You can preorder them now from us.
So far the first few pairs are already sold though. But I don't know how many I am getting in each shipment. 

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #2,509 of 4,052
Feb 17, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #2,510 of 4,052
Finally got my esp950 back after about 3 weeks. I missed this thing so much :)

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #2,511 of 4,052
Stupid question: I have a set of these inbound. What is the best option for connecting a Marantz HD-DAC1? The E90 has a line input in the front and 2-channel RCA jacks in the back (but fit/manufacture is questionable based upon my reading here). The Marantz does NOT have a single line out, but rather fixed or balanced RCA outputs in back.

Y-cable of some sort?

I plan to go USB from my computer to the Marantz.

I also have an Oppo HA-2, but that option is easier, since the HA-2 has a single line out.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #2,512 of 4,052
  Stupid question: I have a set of these inbound. What is the best option for connecting a Marantz HD-DAC1? The E90 has a line input in the front and 2-channel RCA jacks in the back (but fit/manufacture is questionable based upon my reading here). The Marantz does NOT have a single line out, but rather fixed or balanced RCA outputs in back.

Y-cable of some sort?

I also have an Oppo HA-2, but that option is easier, since the HA-2 has a single line out.

Thanks in advance.

Hi @heavyharmonies ,
For the Marantz HD-DAC1, you would use the fixed line out from the Marantz to the line in on the Koss E-90 amp. Just a simple stereo RCA to RCA cable will work just fine. 
Yes, the case of the E-90 has relatively small openings around the RCA connectors, so some high end RCA connectors can sometimes be too bulky to get pushed all the way down on the RCA jacks on the E-90 case. But most cables I have tried, work.
-Darin

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #2,513 of 4,052

Y-cable of some sort?

Thanks in advance.

I went through a trail and error there :p This nice cable fits it - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291728286336?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
They say they are the best. I use them. Apparently that's enough to convince most people :D

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #2,514 of 4,052

I've tried your OOYH demo, and really like how it basically turns wonderful headphones [my ESP-950] into some ridiculously cool speakers. The earpads may be nice, but I seriously doubt they up the Koss' game the way OOYH does. Sorry I missed the CANJAM sale. Maybe next time I'll be paying attention! This the kind of thing your newsletter might cover? 

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #2,515 of 4,052

Y-cable of some sort?

Thanks in advance.

Technically you could send the variable or fixed output to the E/90's inputs (remember Koss designed it partially with connection to a mobile CD player or cassette deck in mind), but using the fixed outputs will make life easier (only one volume knob to deal with - if you use the variable output you'll have to adjust the volume on both devices, now that may be desirable if you dislike the split volume control on the E/90, just run the E/90's controls up to a "loud" point and then use the single volume control on the DAC for its variable outputs). The front 3.5mm TRS jack is identical to the rear RCA inputs (they're in parallel, per Koss CS). If your RCA cables don't fit, an RCA to TRS adapter could be used on the front (or if your source has TRS output you could just use a TRS cable, or an RCA to TRS cable from your source to the front jack, etc). No idea what the "fit/manufacture is questionable" is meant to mean - no, the E/90 is not built to modern audio jewelry standards, but its a solid little box IME. The included Koss RCA cables will fit nicely into the RCA jacks on the back of the E/90 (but they're a little short), and similar styled RCA cables are a good choice - basically avoid stuff with "thick" plugs (e.g. Monster Cable or others with similar "locking" or "turbine" style connectors, which includes the Monoprice Premium cables). Hosa's REAN cables are a good candidate, as are the older style Monster cables with the plastic ends ("Interlink 100" or something like that). Basically you want the metal shield part that connects the outer part of the RCA jack to be fairly thin, as the clearance to the plastic housing is relatively narrow. The style in Conquerator2's link will also work.

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #2,516 of 4,052
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I've only recently gotten back into non-IEM listening after a 10-year or so hiatus. After doing about a week's worth of reading here, I bought a pair of Hifiman HE-400i and Oppo PM-3, along with an Oppo HA-2. I really like the 400i and its openness, whereas I found I didn't like the closed nature of the PM-3; it was somewhat harsh and "in your face" by comparison. I've always wanted to try electrostatic phones... well... just cuz. The expense of Stax as an experiment put me off a bit, whereas these seemed a more wallet-friendly as an intro. Also, the lifetime warranty was a BIG factor, as it would allow me to "gamble" on a used set without the risk of being totally hosed. I happened to time it right and caught a used set on eBay just after they were listed for just under $350 shipped, which are now en route. The seller mentioned some minor issues, none of which seem gamebreaking, and even if they are more serious, salvation is only a $9 check away.

Based upon what I've read in this thread and many of the reviews around the rest of the Interwebz, I'm really looking forward to the 950s.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #2,517 of 4,052
I have had mine now since 1993 or so.  I just got them back from repair 2 weeks ago, which is the first repair they needed in 20+ years.  So, I think you will enjoy your new used ESP-950 headphones.

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #2,518 of 4,052

I've tried your OOYH demo, and really like how it basically turns wonderful headphones [my ESP-950] into some ridiculously cool speakers. The earpads may be nice, but I seriously doubt they up the Koss' game the way OOYH does. Sorry I missed the CANJAM sale. Maybe next time I'll be paying attention! This the kind of thing your newsletter might cover? 

Hi @ratboi ,

Glad you liked our Out Of Your Head demo. Electrostatic headphones are very well suited for Out Of Your Head due to the detail and speed of electrostats.

The CanJam special was the first time we've done a special open to everyone, not just show attendees.

We did send a notice out to everyone who subscribed to our newsletter on our website. We also posted the special on our social media accounts.

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #2,519 of 4,052
  ...Yes, the case of the E-90 has relatively small openings around the RCA connectors, so some high end RCA connectors can sometimes be too bulky to get pushed all the way down on the RCA jacks on the E-90 case. But most cables I have tried, work.
-Darin

FYI to any newer ESP -950 owners that have trouble with RCA cables fitting into the back of the Koss energizer....

The back plastic cover of the energizer comes off easily and if you have access to a drill press, or a steady hand with a standard drill, you can just widen those holes by using a slightly larger bit.
The whole process including reinstalling the back plate was less than 15 minutes for me.

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #2,520 of 4,052
FYI, doing so may void the warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back