KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Feb 18, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #2,521 of 4,052
FYI to any newer ESP -950 owners that have trouble with RCA cables fitting into the back of the Koss energizer....

The back plastic cover of the energizer comes off easily and if you have access to a drill press, or a steady hand with a standard drill, you can just widen those holes by using a slightly larger bit.
The whole process including reinstalling the back plate was less than 15 minutes for me.

FYI, doing so may void the warranty.

Correction: WILL void the warranty. :xf_eek: Source: I called and asked Koss. They will not sell you a replacement back plate to cover up what you've done either. Their suggestion was to either use different (fitting) cables, or to use a TRS to RCA adapter on the front TRS jack, as that jack "sticks out" a bit and should have no clearance issues with various TRS plugs (especially newer, "mobile phone compatible" models that have a small spacer to clear phone cases), and you can get TRS to RCA adapters that offer broader spacing (AudioQuest makes a nice one, called "FLX-Mini/RCA Adapter" - it doesn't have its own page but you can see it on their site here: http://www.audioquest.com/custom-install/splitters-connectors - its around $10, and spaced well enough to connect Monster M-Series or similarly "fat" RCA cables). Alternatively to that, Koss includes a TRS to RCA cable with the ESP/950, and you could put an RCA coupler on the end of that and use that as an adapter.

Feb 18, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #2,522 of 4,052
Correction: WILL void the warranty.
redface.gif
Source: I called and asked Koss. They will not sell you a replacement back plate to cover up what you've done either. Their suggestion was to either use different (fitting) cables, or to use a TRS to RCA adapter on the front TRS jack, as that jack "sticks out" a bit and should have no clearance issues with various TRS plugs (especially newer, "mobile phone compatible" models that have a small spacer to clear phone cases), and you can get TRS to RCA adapters that offer broader spacing (AudioQuest makes a nice one, called "FLX-Mini/RCA Adapter" - it doesn't have its own page but you can see it on their site here: http://www.audioquest.com/custom-install/splitters-connectors - its around $10, and spaced well enough to connect Monster M-Series or similarly "fat" RCA cables). Alternatively to that, Koss includes a TRS to RCA cable with the ESP/950, and you could put an RCA coupler on the end of that and use that as an adapter.

That is seriously hilarious. No kidding. After all, what DO you think they'll say if you tell them you are thinking of opening up the box with all their electronics in it? Go ahead, just be careful??  Then again, I don't see the need for 'Turbine' style connectors that don't fit the hole. What, we might gain so much purchase as to break their solder joint? OK, so maybe that _is_ a valid concern...

Anyway, I think I already went slightly overkill with a 3 ft 'KabelDirekt' (what a name...) that is OFC double insulated cable w/ decent gold plated connectors that have zero problem fitting the available space on the back of the E90. Yes, I think the grody chromed cable they included is probably good enough, but I'm a fan of all things 24 kt. My FiiO E18 sits atop the E90, which sits atop the Fractal Design PC case. A 1 ft USB connects PC to the input of the E18, the 3 ft (https://tinyurl.com/guolcsk; amazon.com) goes from FiiO line out to the back of the E90. I use the 6 ft extension cable from the energizer to the headset of the ESP-950, and can either sit up or kick back while Foobar feeds my head whatever flac I ask it to dish out. I'm thinking life is good...

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #2,523 of 4,052
  I went through a trail and error there :p This nice cable fits it - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291728286336?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
They say they are the best. I use them. Apparently that's enough to convince most people :D

The cables I'm using are, I think, on par with those, only ordered from .us, not .uk. I'll stick with being sensible while I must, spend more only if it doesn't affect paying the bills - because I know it doesn't really matter. Speaking OT, I saved a secondee yesterday from a colleague's advice, and in the process learned he was stuck being a Coventry City FC fan - apparently place of birth trumps all. Do you have a favourite team? I can't believe what PSG just did to Barcelona, but hey...

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #2,524 of 4,052
  Hi @ratboi ,

Glad you liked our Out Of Your Head demo. Electrostatic headphones are very well suited for Out Of Your Head due to the detail and speed of electrostats.

The CanJam special was the first time we've done a special open to everyone, not just show attendees.

We did send a notice out to everyone who subscribed to our newsletter on our website. We also posted the special on our social media accounts.

I figured out how to properly connect to your web store, and now have the newsletter aimed at me. Sorry, not a social media type - unless [oops] you count places like this. Still, hoping that some day it will happen that your beautiful creation will come within my financial reach again. The in the head experience is ok, but you are right - speakers in a well set up room trump them fully. Just these phones were a real stretch for me, and my wife took pity and said I could keep them. I'm not suffering, but I've seen/heard what I want next. Damn!! Anyway, job well done. For those with better means than mine, check out the demo. I'm kind of fond of the Egypt Theater, The Genelec Studio setups, The Martin Logan Summits, and the B&W 802s for contrast. Totally freakin' awesome! Oh well, time to stop whining. Fare well!

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #2,525 of 4,052
I assume either one of the following cables will work for my usage case above:

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-iXCC-Shielded-Gold-Plated-Stereo/dp/B019D048XC/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1487475827&sr=1-3&keywords=rca+to+mini+cable

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021817&p_id=9768&seq=1&format=2

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #2,526 of 4,052
That should work.

Feb 19, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #2,527 of 4,052
  I assume either one of the following cables will work for my usage case above:

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-iXCC-Shielded-Gold-Plated-Stereo/dp/B019D048XC/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1487475827&sr=1-3&keywords=rca+to+mini+cable

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021817&p_id=9768&seq=1&format=2

As long as you aren't using the RCA end of that iXCC cable to connect to the E90 you should be fine. It is precisely that sort of extra beefy connector that won't fit the holes on the back side of their case. I've got zero idea why the mini plug input on the front would be a problem for any cable. 

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #2,528 of 4,052
My ESP 950 have almost stopped me on my ultimate headphone search.
I use an Idecco as my DAC and the Lyr amp and this setup is one of the best headphone setups I have ever heard. Yes I have listened to a Stax 007 and Stax 009 for about 20 minutes each.
The ESP950 with the energizer unit alone is great but not even close to my current setup.
I am extremely thrilled with my current setup.

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #2,529 of 4,052
is bussing a common issue? my left sounds like its bussing/squealing.

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #2,530 of 4,052
  is bussing a common issue? my left sounds like its bussing/squealing.

Yes, buzzing and squealing is a common issue. The other common issue is channel imbalance.
-Darin

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #2,531 of 4,052
Might be one of the reasons the included energizer has independent L/R volume :p

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #2,532 of 4,052
My ESP 950 have almost stopped me on my ultimate headphone search.
I use an Idecco as my DAC and the Lyr amp and this setup is one of the best headphone setups I have ever heard. Yes I have listened to a Stax 007 and Stax 009 for about 20 minutes each.
The ESP950 with the energizer unit alone is great but not even close to my current setup.
I am extremely thrilled with my current setup.

Are you using an adapter, like an SRD-5, to run these through your Lyr?

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #2,533 of 4,052
I thought you needed a special electrostatic amp for these. Use a Stax 323b.

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #2,534 of 4,052
That's what I thought as well...unless you could find an energizer like the SRD-5 on the used market or we're willing to shell out $500 for a Woo WEE. Gotta love that name! :wink:

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #2,535 of 4,052
I thought you needed a special electrostatic amp for these. Use a Stax 323b.

Yes they do. They need bias supply (600V, which is a scooch higher than the STAX Pro bias (580V) but from what I've read/been told they will play along with 580V just fine), as well as high voltage drive for the stators (the E/90 is able to do something like 2300Vp-p). That's nothing a "conventional" headphone amp can deliver or even connect to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back