KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Jan 27, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #2,491 of 4,052
I bought extra pads a year or more ago for my Koss' and hacked them up to try and make a better pad. Any benefits were offset by drawbacks, but I'm glad I gave it a go anyway. I went back to stock pads.

I put the Koss' away about 4 mos. ago when I bought HD-650s and TH-X00s. Owning those 2 scratched any itch I might have for 98% of what I listen to. I was actually considering selling the Koss'. I thought maybe if I really wanted an electrostatic headphone to cover the gap, one of the new Stax L series headphones would do it.

But I put the Koss' back on this week for a few hours and really enjoyed them again so maybe they'll stay. I'm waiting to hear more feedback about these Russian pads. Maybe this is what I need to give the Koss' the extra something I was looking for.

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #2,492 of 4,052
Had to ship my esp950 back, the left side was bussing once in awhile.

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #2,493 of 4,052
My pads are on the way. Should be here early next week 
popcorn.gif
 Excite 
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #2,494 of 4,052
I saw a deal on Amazon for these, $595, on the Deals Thread, should be for another 2 hours. (or so it says on the Deals Thread). I checked Amazon, it is listed there at that price right now. Already have one...

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #2,495 of 4,052
I saw a deal on Amazon for these, $595, on the Deals Thread, should be for another 2 hours. (or so it says on the Deals Thread). I checked Amazon, it is listed there at that price right now. Already have one...

"Lightning Deal has ended". Bought mine there 27 November for $54 more than that. They stayed the same price for about two or three weeks more, then went back up. I've since read it is the traditional time for that particular sale. I'm going through so much of my music, and grabbing more based on comments from others. Just amazing what comes through these things. On stuff designed for bass heavy earphones or speakers, a touch of EQ and they are right there. Shivers. Right now, I couldn't be much happier, especially for the price. For those who can drop the dough on $4K and up, bless you. My Kunlun DAC and flac collection will muddle contentedly along, thank you so much...

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #2,496 of 4,052

Interesting. Is that a legitimate Stax connector or an Amphenol? (eg, Moon Audio sells the Amphenol plug)

I'd much rather go for the plug. As much as i think my soldering looks pretty, the wiring needs more than a few pieces of shrink tube to protect it. Big piece over the shell, and... Nice that Moon has female adapter too, if you need to make an extension.

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #2,497 of 4,052
Ya! My headphones are on their way back from Koss. It has been almost a month since I sent them to them to fix the energizer.

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #2,498 of 4,052
Ya! My headphones are on their way back from Koss. It has been almost a month since I sent them to them to fix the energizer.

What? I sent my esp950 about 3 days ago and I heard it only takes about a week or so to finish?

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #2,499 of 4,052
Well I sen mne in on 1-7-17. They cashed the check on 1-11-17. I called, the first time all they said is that it was up in repair. The second time they said they were waiting for parts. The third time it shipped.. So Monday according to ups it will be here.

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #2,500 of 4,052
For anyone who loves the earlier esp9 model, here is one for $50:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/834415/koss-esp-9-electrostatic-headphones-and-energizer

Seller assumes it works and will refund your cash, provided that it does not work or you just don't want it. I have seen him around, and his feedback proves it.:)

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #2,501 of 4,052
The pads are finally in!
First impressions, the craftsmanship is pretty great for ~50$. They don't use memory foam but I still enjoy the slightly firmer one that's used here. The velour top is great too, pleasing to the touch. Overall very uniform. They're reminiscent of Hifiman's Focus pads, these Russians feel more consistent and polished overall. Impressive!
Getting them on wasn't as bad as I feared (though I've had some practice with pad rolling before). The comfort is improved (though the stock stuffed pads weren't too bad) and they feel like a proper padded headphone now.
Now the sound... I'll be cautious here and say things feel a bit fuller and a bit more coherent. This is a good thing as I am a fan of the stock sound. These pads might increase the bass ever so slightly due to better seal, though obviously a proper AB is not possible. I also feel the sounds are a bit more even, slightly more coherent to one another, a tinge of warmth owing to that slight increase in bass.
I'd say the pads are definitely worth it for comfort alone, with the small sound weight and coherence increase as a bonus :wink:
Cheers

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #2,502 of 4,052
My pads arrived a few days ago.

But new developments, it looks like we will be selling the pads direct from the US. So as a MOT here, I can't post my impressions, etc.

You can probably figure out where to find my impressions and photos.

Thanks,
-Darin Fong Audio

Feb 9, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #2,503 of 4,052
Been listening to my ESP-950's since they have been returned from Koss.  I really missed them while they were gone.

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #2,504 of 4,052
  My pads arrived a few days ago.

But new developments, it looks like we will be selling the pads direct from the US. So as a MOT here, I can't post my impressions, etc.

You can probably figure out where to find my impressions and photos.

Thanks,
-Darin Fong Audio

I think they'd be awesome in a deep red. Just sayin'...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back