Koss dj100 vs HD598 vs HD650 for Odac/O2 combo?
Aug 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

oopeteroo

500+ Head-Fier
i got three three headphones: dj100 with m50 pad, hd598 and hd 650.
using odac with build in o2 amp.
listening to mainly k-pop. j-pop. c-pop. ballad. female voice.

the thing is i cant decide which one to keep. cant aford to have all. Going to sell 2 and keep 1.

i like hd650 and hd598 more because of comfort. but sometimes some tracks sound amazing with dj100. sometimes hd650 or hd598 shines more. so hard to decide. Been listening to all 3 some weeks without answer which to keep.

plz help me to decide

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 15
Heya,

Only you can decide which one sounds best overall for your needs.

Try and list out what you like best about each headphone. Go from comfort, build, style, describe which has the bass you prefer from sub-bass to mid-bass, describe which has the better mids for you (like vocals, instruments) and which has the better treble for your liking (bright, spiked, laid back, etc). Then maybe it's easier to figure out which headphone out of those three, and perhaps others you don't have yet that will be better/best for you.

Very best,

Aug 21, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 15
Heya,

Only you can decide which one sounds best overall for your needs.

Try and list out what you like best about each headphone. Go from comfort, build, style, describe which has the bass you prefer from sub-bass to mid-bass, describe which has the better mids for you (like vocals, instruments) and which has the better treble for your liking (bright, spiked, laid back, etc). Then maybe it's easier to figure out which headphone out of those three, and perhaps others you don't have yet that will be better/best for you.

Very best,

i know its me to decide but its so hard:p

iam soo noob when it come to sound terms.

comfort. i like hd650 and hd598 more, cuz its light on head and not much claim force on head. But with the dj100 it feels good after a while. but a little warm.

build. i like hd650 and dj100 more. they seems better build than hd598

style. i like all of them :p all 3 is unique taste. i like detachable cable. dj100 dont hv it but its cheap so doesnt matter :p dont really love the color of hd598

bass. dont really know diff btw sub to mid bas.
but i think hd650 got the best bass i like. then hd589 and last dj100, that feels crap on k-pop with bass.

vocal. like hd598 best i think overall. hd650 can sound amazing on some track but sometimes too smooth. and sometimes dj100 (crisper. cleaner. funnier to listening. )

instruments. hd650 wins. sound more forward, detailed. a little better than hd598. and last dj100. maybe because of diff btw closed and open cans.

treble. dobt really know what it is :p

but sometimes i love the clean sound from dj100 on some tracks. it feels funnier to listening to compare to sennheiser that is smoooother.

i would like instruments and bass from hd650. crisp/clean vocal from dj100 with hd598 smoothness. and open feeling/wide from hd598 :p

hope u guys can help me a bit and sorry for my bad english :3

Aug 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 15
Heya,

Hrm, sounds to me like you need something else all together. I wouldn't choose any of those headphones for Jpop.

I would have you return them all, and instead explore a few more headphones before settling on something that doesn't completely satisfy you:

Beyer DT990, DT880, DT770
Hifiman HE-400, HE-300 (revision 2)
Denon D2000 or D5000
Ultrasone PRO 2500
AudioTechnica A900X, A900
AKG K550

Also, again, what are you using as source (what are you powering your headphones with)?

Very best,

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 15
Heya,

Hrm, sounds to me like you need something else all together. I wouldn't choose any of those headphones for Jpop.

I would have you return them all, and instead explore a few more headphones before settling on something that doesn't completely satisfy you:

Beyer DT990, DT880, DT770
Hifiman HE-400, HE-300 (revision 2)
Denon D2000 or D5000
Ultrasone PRO 2500
AudioTechnica A900X, A900
AKG K550

Also, again, what are you using as source (what are you powering your headphones with)?

Very best,

using laptop. foobar. mp3 files and some flac. Odac as dac and O2 as amp

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 15
If you're going to only sell one, I'd get rid of the HD598 and keep the other two. They provide a good contrast to each other.

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 15
Didn't you previously have the 598 and DJ100 with the E10?

If so, how did you impressions change with the ODAC/O2? Any improvements in any areas? I have the ODAC here on Thursday and can't wait to try it with the DJ100 and HD-598!

I actually think the DJ100 has better sub-bass than the HD-650, HD-600, Q701. Yep, I said it. The DJ100 doesn't have that much of a mid-bass hump. Not like the HD-650 or even HD-580. I prefer this.

Trust your ears! Go with what's best for your favorite genres. I honestly could not keep just a closed headphone. However, i'm crazy and would give up my Q701, HD-580 and 598 instead of my DJ100
biggrin.gif

Of course only if someone forced me to keep only one..

Right now I love the HD-598, Q701 and DJ100. HD-580 a lot too, but it's almost too warm at times. I like the HD-650 somewhat, but it's sound annoys me more than anyone. I think I could only like that thing with a dead neutral amp/dac.

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Didn't you previously have the 598 and DJ100 with the E10?

If so, how did you impressions change with the ODAC/O2? Any improvements in any areas? I have the ODAC here on Thursday and can't wait to try it with the DJ100 and HD-598!

I actually think the DJ100 has better sub-bass than the HD-650, HD-600, Q701. Yep, I said it. The DJ100 doesn't have that much of a mid-bass hump. Not like the HD-650 or even HD-580. I prefer this.

Trust your ears! Go with what's best for your favorite genres. I honestly could not keep just a closed headphone. However, i'm crazy and would give up my Q701, HD-580 and 598 instead of my DJ100
biggrin.gif

Of course only if someone forced me to keep only one..

Right now I love the HD-598, Q701 and DJ100. HD-580 a lot too, but it's almost too warm at times. I like the HD-650 somewhat, but it's sound annoys me more than anyone. I think I could only like that thing with a dead neutral amp/dac.

yepp i did have the e10 :p sold it :p
hmm think it improved the dj100. sound much cleaner now, actually i enjoy dj100 more now :p but still miss the wideness of open cans :p and dont really like the bass of it :p if they could change it to open cans and have hd650 instrumential and bass i would think i love these cans

sorry cant give you more impression. iam really bad at this front :p

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
yepp i did have the e10 :p sold it :p
hmm think it improved the dj100. sound much cleaner now, actually i enjoy dj100 more now :p but still miss the wideness of open cans :p and dont really like the bass of it :p if they could change it to open cans and have hd650 instrumential and bass i would think i love these cans

sorry cant give you more impression. iam really bad at this front :p

I agree with tdockweiler about the DJ100/TBSE1 having more bass than what a lot of its detractors think. What I hypothesize is that there exists songs designed for headphones with spikes or bumps in the mid-bass. When you listen to these songs through the DJ100s, you will find that the bass lacks emphasis. However, I've also listened to some songs where the bass does not seems be lacking, and those are probably the well-mastered files designed for more neutral speakers.

I have a CMOY by juice2214 coming in the mail in a few days. Can't wait to try them out with my TBSE1s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back