Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 19, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #48,556 of 63,916
The ear hooks don’t have a memory wire, or the ability to reshape then with a hair dryer?

It's not memory wire, it's more like a "fixed in place" wire. I also don't own a hair dryer but I might give it a shot at the gym since there's one there.

I will say I think an optimal solution is a little twist tie or clip to hold it under your chin (main wire behind your neck). I'll try that out tomorrow.

Oct 19, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #48,557 of 63,916
The good of the aptx-HD cable: It really sounds awesome and the connection process is super simple. A ton easier than my Senn MTWs for example. Literally no manual, just pop it out of the box, hold the button, pair. Done. The aptx-HD is definitely clear and that keeps the ZSX sounding all nice and clear.

The less-good: There's a noticeable hiss. It's not huge, and (mercifully) it's not only on one side like the Jabra 65t so it's easy to forget, but it's definitely there.

The bad: Oh my god the ear hook part of the cable is trash. The loop is huge and can't be adjusted, so unless you have ears the size of cereal bowls the cable is never gonna stay behind your ear. I'm using this at the gym so I have a skullcap to hold them in place, but otherwise it's a nightmare.

Overall if it weren't for the huge cable issue I'd call these an A+. I don't know if I'll keep it.

I have issue with the ear hooks on the same kz adapter. Found it stays in place better with the cable hanging in front rather than behind my neck.

Being meaning to try reshaping them with some heat. Is hair dryier best, not sure how easy to reform the curve? First thought involved hot water and a pencil.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #48,559 of 63,916
Now I don't know if I want to get the KZ ZS7 or the Blon BL-03...
I have decided that I want to get the ZS7 for 11/11.
I think I will be happy with the stock cables.
I hope the price drops in about three weeks.

Oct 19, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #48,560 of 63,916
Oct 19, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #48,561 of 63,916
Way better choice my friend. Make sure you install the ES100 app to take full advantages of all its features.

Also, check out this thread if you haven’t already done so. Lots of useful information contained in there:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/radsone-earstudio-es100.867366/

I have the Fiio BTR3 that I use with their app and with the Onkyo player. Another great choice. The Bluetooth connection through the LDAC is really sweet.

Oct 19, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #48,562 of 63,916
As a final update, I've decided to return the cable in favor of the ES100, since that can go as a USB DAC or bluetooth receiver and let me use the normal KZ cable.

If you want bluetooth module for gym, nothing can beat BT20S. And yea, it might have a slight hiss, but you are at the gym anyway where they blast those EDM music loudly.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #48,563 of 63,916
If you want bluetooth module for gym, nothing can beat BT20S. And yea, it might have a slight hiss, but you are at the gym anyway where they blast those EDM music loudly.

Just got my BT20S today and am discovering many IEMs don’t seal the way they do with a cable, the nozzle sits further out the ear. But the ones that do fit? It’s an amazing sensation to walk around untethered hearing your favorite music!

Oct 20, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #48,564 of 63,916

Does the BT20S have a c-pin option?

Either way, I think I might be okay with the ES100 clipped to my shirt. I'm a lifter, I don't do a lot of running around, so that should be adequate.

Oct 20, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #48,565 of 63,916
Just got my BT20S today and am discovering many IEMs don’t seal the way they do with a cable, the nozzle sits further out the ear. But the ones that do fit? It’s an amazing sensation to walk around untethered hearing your favorite music!

you could re-form the cable to some extend by bending it. adding heat (hair dryer for example) while forming them also help. i did that on all three sets of my BT20s. ootb it won't fit my ears well

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #48,566 of 63,916
Immediate reaction: The ES100 is magic. LDAC connectivity so no worry about degradation with Spotify streaming. Sounds effing fantastic, clipped the unit (which is WAYYY tinier than I expected) to my jeans, good to go. This 100% has my endorsement right now. I agree with others who called the Dragonfly slightly "clinical" in comparison, the low end feels more potent but not by a huge margin. The ZSX is just big and FUN.

EDIT: I just feel the need to repeat how damn good this little fella is. Particularly for a metalhead like me. Threw on some Lord Mantis, Thou, and a couple other black metal / sludge bands and just... the music with ES100+ZSX is so punchy and lively I'm bad to melting into them. Thank you to everyone for the suggestions. I prefer this to my DFR now.

FURTHER EDIT: I do have one minor qualm. The power on/off sound is stuuuupidly loud. Like when I turned it off I jolted because it was louder than the music. However, it sounds gorgeous as a USB DAC. I will say that the Dragonfly Red is likely "technically superior," I just definitely enjoy the ES100 for jamming music more. I'll also say the app is ABSURDLY robust, I can't imagine messing around in it to its full potential.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #48,567 of 63,916
Immediate reaction: The ES100 is magic. LDAC connectivity so no worry about degradation with Spotify streaming. Sounds effing fantastic, clipped the unit (which is WAYYY tinier than I expected) to my jeans, good to go. This 100% has my endorsement right now. I agree with others who called the Dragonfly slightly "clinical" in comparison, the low end feels more potent but not by a huge margin. The ZSX is just big and FUN.

EDIT: I just feel the need to repeat how damn good this little fella is. Particularly for a metalhead like me. Threw on some Lord Mantis, Thou, and a couple other black metal / sludge bands and just... the music with ES100+ZSX is so punchy and lively I'm bad to melting into them. Thank you to everyone for the suggestions. I prefer this to my DFR now.

FURTHER EDIT: I do have one minor qualm. The power on/off sound is stuuuupidly loud. Like when I turned it off I jolted because it was louder than the music. However, it sounds gorgeous as a USB DAC. I will say that the Dragonfly Red is likely "technically superior," I just definitely enjoy the ES100 for jamming music more. I'll also say the app is ABSURDLY robust, I can't imagine messing around in it to its full potential.
I'm glad you're liking it - I'm not sure what magic they put in there, but it is well worth the money.

Easy fix to your issue - in the app, go to the menu and then "misc control". You can pot down the volume on those there. It is stupid loud by default.

Oct 20, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #48,568 of 63,916
I'm glad you're liking it - I'm not sure what magic they put in there, but it is well worth the money.

Easy fix to your issue - in the app, go to the menu and then "misc control". You can pot down the volume on those there. It is stupid loud by default.

Thar she blows! Much better, thank you.

Oct 21, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #48,570 of 63,916
Awesome! Thank you. I put a pair of CP100 on and holy hell the sound turned into a woolly mess.

Got my ZSX as well as my CP155 .. and I find they fit too loose ... they are getting pushed way too far over the neck of the nozzle when I thrust them down my earhole ... CP145 seems to be a better fit ... also tried the 155 on the ZS10 Pro .. same issue ... now I am trying to find which of my KZ have an actually wider nozzle so that I get to use the 155 ... anyone?

cp155.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back