Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 14, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #48,541 of 63,641
I sent them this as a feature request/product idea a while ago.

More precisely, I said they wouldn’t even need a screen. All they’d need to do is add a microSD card to the existing ES100. Everything would be handled by the app, with the app controlling the actual media selection and playing, album art, etc. And of course the EQ and other existing features would seamlessly integrate into the app as well.

Basically, the ES100 would be used for local media storage and processing; no screen required. The sound would be optimal, because it’s directly wired (ie no Bluetooth when listening in ‘local media’ mode).
Great idea @Slater! I could definitely get behind that one.

Oct 15, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #48,542 of 63,641
Great idea @Slater! I could definitely get behind that one.

I hope they take my idea and make it.

People keep asking for a ‘new’ ES100 (ie IE200). This would be the shot of steroids it needs to dethrone the current ES100.

The ability to play local high-res media would be epic, and they’d sell a boatload of them!

I also mentioned to them how it would get around lossless media OS limitations (such as iOS). In other words, by using a hardware device and dedicated app for the media playing/decoding, you’d be able to play all file types - flac, DSD, etc etc

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #48,545 of 63,641
Just ordered this fella for the ZSX: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TQFM4GW

Hopefully it'll make them an ideal gym set, then I can put the actual cable on when I'm at the laptop for the extra fidelity (love my Dragonfly).
I have one of those for my "extra" set of ZS10s. It has pretty good SQ, although I'm not a huge fan of the form factor (but I've had ones like that before, so I knew what I was getting). Unless you tuck the cable in the neck of your shirt, the modules tend to move around a fair amount. I had it paired to my R3, I'll have to re-pair it to the R5 and see how it sounds.

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #48,546 of 63,641
Hey guys, I have a question for KZ ZSX owners, do you have some bad hiss when playing music? it's pretty noticeable on high volume especially when I compare it to my KZ ES4

This is something I don't understand. Why do some people hear hissing from their iems? I have several items in my humble audio arsenal and not once did I hear even a slight hiss. Am I just lucky to get good iems? (Not that I'm looking forward to it.H I never have to hear one)

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #48,547 of 63,641
This is something I don't understand. Why do some people hear hissing from their iems? I have several items in my humble audio arsenal and not once did I hear even a slight hiss. Am I just lucky to get good iems? (Not that I'm looking forward to it.H I never have to hear one)

The hissing comes from the amplifier. This happens if the iem is too sensitive for the output of that amp. I don't consider it a fault in the iem or the amp. Just a mismatch.

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #48,549 of 63,641
So my Dragonfly decided it would be fun to stop working. Any suggestions for a replacement, or just grab another DFR?

Oct 18, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #48,550 of 63,641
So my Dragonfly decided it would be fun to stop working. Any suggestions for a replacement, or just grab another DFR?

grab the Cobalt? haven't heard it though.. only had the DFB and DFR in the past. i personally like the Centrance amp sound better than the Dragonflies. if you can find the discontinued BlueDAC, that has similar sound profile to the DFR, with added convenience of bluetooth, and analog volume control

Oct 18, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #48,551 of 63,641
grab the Cobalt? haven't heard it though.. only had the DFB and DFR in the past. i personally like the Centrance amp sound better than the Dragonflies. if you can find the discontinued BlueDAC, that has similar sound profile to the DFR, with added convenience of bluetooth, and analog volume control

I can't seem to find any of the Dacports available. I was also looking at the Cambridge Dacmagic? Any experiences there? Looks convenient as hell.

I think the DFR's problem is that it's got the USB plug right on the device. Basically what has happened more than once with them for me (the Red was my 2nd after the v1.2) is that they get jostled or bumped and then the connection gets REALLY dicey. I like the idea of something that doesn't plug straight in.

Or I'll just buy a Cobalt tomorrow.

Oct 18, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #48,552 of 63,641
I can't seem to find any of the Dacports available. I was also looking at the Cambridge Dacmagic? Any experiences there? Looks convenient as hell.

I think the DFR's problem is that it's got the USB plug right on the device. Basically what has happened more than once with them for me (the Red was my 2nd after the v1.2) is that they get jostled or bumped and then the connection gets REALLY dicey. I like the idea of something that doesn't plug straight in.

Or I'll just buy a Cobalt tomorrow.

the dacmagic x5? haven't tried them, but looking at the picture, I'm liking that volume control.
the reason i stopped using the DFR (even though i really like the sound) is because i like using my phone while listening to music, and that dangling on my phone is prone to being knocked and break the connector.

but i assume you're going to use them with PC or laptop? my friends are using those Sabaj DA3 and loving it, saying it sounds better than the DFR. it's power hungry though, so it won't be usable with phones

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #48,553 of 63,641
the dacmagic x5? haven't tried them, but looking at the picture, I'm liking that volume control.
the reason i stopped using the DFR (even though i really like the sound) is because i like using my phone while listening to music, and that dangling on my phone is prone to being knocked and break the connector.

but i assume you're going to use them with PC or laptop? my friends are using those Sabaj DA3 and loving it, saying it sounds better than the DFR. it's power hungry though, so it won't be usable with phones

Generally from the laptop or via my phone (Pixel 3XL, so no jack), at the big desk I have an Aune T1 mk2 and some HD650s. That DA3 looks like a winner, so I'll pick that up next payday I think, thank you! Power hungry is fine, I'll just put the phone on the wireless rapid-charge pad and be good to go.

Oct 19, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #48,554 of 63,641
The good of the aptx-HD cable: It really sounds awesome and the connection process is super simple. A ton easier than my Senn MTWs for example. Literally no manual, just pop it out of the box, hold the button, pair. Done. The aptx-HD is definitely clear and that keeps the ZSX sounding all nice and clear.

The less-good: There's a noticeable hiss. It's not huge, and (mercifully) it's not only on one side like the Jabra 65t so it's easy to forget, but it's definitely there.

The bad: Oh my god the ear hook part of the cable is trash. The loop is huge and can't be adjusted, so unless you have ears the size of cereal bowls the cable is never gonna stay behind your ear. I'm using this at the gym so I have a skullcap to hold them in place, but otherwise it's a nightmare.

Overall if it weren't for the huge cable issue I'd call these an A+. I don't know if I'll keep it.

Oct 19, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #48,555 of 63,641
The good of the aptx-HD cable: It really sounds awesome and the connection process is super simple. A ton easier than my Senn MTWs for example. Literally no manual, just pop it out of the box, hold the button, pair. Done. The aptx-HD is definitely clear and that keeps the ZSX sounding all nice and clear.

The less-good: There's a noticeable hiss. It's not huge, and (mercifully) it's not only on one side like the Jabra 65t so it's easy to forget, but it's definitely there.

The bad: Oh my god the ear hook part of the cable is trash. The loop is huge and can't be adjusted, so unless you have ears the size of cereal bowls the cable is never gonna stay behind your ear. I'm using this at the gym so I have a skullcap to hold them in place, but otherwise it's a nightmare.

Overall if it weren't for the huge cable issue I'd call these an A+. I don't know if I'll keep it.

The ear hooks don’t have a memory wire, or the ability to reshape then with a hair dryer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back