Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 11, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #46,531 of 63,868
You have read where I also state I’m not treble sensitive in the least right? Just want to state everyone does not here them the same or as I do! I feel a little pressure especially if they are not what you are expecting but at the same time they may and of course that 16 core will have them looking as good as they sound:beerchug:
It's all good. You can only lead me to the edge of the abyss (aka the never ending search for audio nirvana, under $100). It's on me if I choose to jump in. :sunglasses:

Aug 11, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #46,532 of 63,868
Here’s my review on the KZ T1 TWS. :)

8B073DB5-750C-47C6-AB6F-9882AD2DD00D.jpeg

Aug 11, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #46,533 of 63,868
The ED16 never soumded right for me, and I could never point the finger on what is wrong, it just sounds weird.
I agree. I sold mine....

Aug 11, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #46,535 of 63,868
I just ordered the ZS7 and the respective 16 core, TRN T2, 2.5 mm

I have no idea why I'm thinking this might be a positive tweak on my Moondrop KPE's sound signature. But my Radsone ES100 should be more than able to EQ out any excessive sparkles that some reviewers have mentioned.

Edit:
Oh yeah, it's posts like this: :beerchug::gs1000smile:
I have installed my 16 core TRN cable on my ZS7. It fits beautifully and sounds great. It's a marriage made in heaven! I am coming round to preferring the ZS7 to the ZS10 Pro. The mids on the ZS7 have a more natural timbre and I am finding the ZS10 Pro to be a little bit unremitting. It's kind of full throttle all the time which gets a bit fatiguing. ZS10 Pro review coming up.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #46,537 of 63,868
My ZSN aren’t aggressive in the treble at all. Treble is present but never crosses the line with ANY type of music. Is your amp super bright?
Neither are mine. Maybe that's because of a switch from one type of Bellsing 30095 BAs to another batch or the late "customized" 30095 that KZ started to mention in their product images some months ago. Later production runs or generations of some models, like the ZS6 and maybe others like the ZSN as well? (I only have one set from late 2018) seem to have less aggressive or piercing treble than those from first or early production run(s). I've yet to see frequency response graphs that confirm these changes, since most of them are being published in product reviews that usually deal with first or early generations soon after the roll-out of any new model.

I have installed my 16 core TRN cable on my ZS7. It fits beautifully and sounds great. It's a marriage made in heaven! I am coming round to preferring the ZS7 to the ZS10 Pro. The mids on the ZS7 have a more natural timbre and I am finding the ZS10 Pro to be a little bit unremitting. It's kind of full throttle all the time which gets a bit fatiguing. ZS10 Pro review coming up.
I guess I get exactly what you mean by 'full throttle' and the resulting fatigue as well, I'm using my 10 Pro less and less.
Regarding 'coming round' .... after having tried a good number of 3rd party cables on the 7 they're back on the flat, braided KZ upgrade cable I started out with. On my Sonata DAC this combo delivers the best detail resolution, separation and layering of brass, woodwind and string ensembles in some of my test tracks. In some sequences I'm able to precisely pick out single instruments, something I found a lot more difficult with most of the other cables I've tried.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #46,539 of 63,868
I prefer the ZS7 too, and I have it paired with cable 130.

Well for me the BA10 is smooth as butter in comparison the Pro gets a little bright on the top end and the low end gets a little loose but this is just how these two sound for me and honestly I prefer my ZS7 to the Pro.

Aug 11, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #46,540 of 63,868
Aug 11, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #46,541 of 63,868
And that's why I always use upgraded cables. LOL!
Fit is everything and a lot of people have trouble getting a good fit and seal. Especially with the Roxanne and good fit and deep insertion is critical or the sound is all messed up, I have musician fit and had to have material added past the first bend to get a great seal...it’s a pain in the ass..
I bought a set of Shure E5c's back in 2005, and absolutely HATED them. I sold them after 2.5 weeks. Those things were so highly praised and hyped back then...so I was really disappointed that they didn't live up to the hype, especially after spending so much money. It wasn't until late last year, that I thought I'd give iems another try. Now, after listening to several, I'm convinced that they have become SOOOO much better. Honestly tho, I don't think I'll ever buy another Shure product again. There's just so much better sounding stuff out there now, for less $$. At least to my ears, anyway.

Aug 12, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #46,542 of 63,868
And that's why I always use upgraded cables. LOL!

I bought a set of Shure E5c's back in 2005, and absolutely HATED them. I sold them after 2.5 weeks. Those things were so highly praised and hyped back then...so I was really disappointed that they didn't live up to the hype, especially after spending so much money. It wasn't until late last year, that I thought I'd give iems another try. Now, after listening to several, I'm convinced that they have become SOOOO much better. Honestly tho, I don't think I'll ever buy another Shure product again. There's just so much better sounding stuff out there now, for less $$. At least to my ears, anyway.

There were a lot of counterfeit Shure
E4c and E5c (among others). And sadly they were selling for as much as the genuines in many cases.

I wonder if you got a counterfeit one?

I loved my E4c (with Knowles ED-26805), and I still regret getting rid of it to this day. Of course, the E5c used different drivers (ED-23619 + CI-22955), so i don’t know how it would have sounded in comparison.

Aug 12, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #46,544 of 63,868
There were a lot of counterfeit Shure
E4c and E5c (among others). And sadly they were selling for as much as the genuines in many cases.

I wonder if you got a counterfeit one?

I loved my E4c (with Knowles ED-26805), and I still regret getting rid of it to this day. Of course, the E5c used different drivers (ED-23619 + CI-22955), so i don’t know how it would have sounded in comparison.
Not sure, but it IS certainly possible. I bought my set from Ebay from someone who bought 3 sets brand new. My set was sold because the person didn't think his brother-in-law would appreciate them, so I ended up buying them for about $435. At the time, the exchange between US $ and CDN $ was more on par, so I splurged. He sent them to me via UPS tho, and I was dinged an extra $118 CDN for duties and taxes. After chasing the UPS guy around to pay the extra $, I got the package. The set were pristine, with only the shrinkwrap taken off. Everything else was intact and original. Either way, the set themselves sounded like crap. At the time, they reminded me of the old single earbud that used to be included with old transistor radios back in the 70's. They sounded like it too! Lol!

Aug 12, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #46,545 of 63,868
The same thought crossed my mind. Apparently there's been a big problem with counterfeit Shure earphones. I haven't owned any personally, but I'm an avid Amazon user, and I noticed when looking at reviews for Shure's products that a number of the negative reviews involved customers receiving fakes! Some people even had several replacements sent to them all ending up being counterfeit! So it's not even limited to sites like Wish, Aliexpress, or even Ebay that buyers have to be cautious about. And the knock offs don't sound anywhere near as good as the genuine product. I saw a few people saying the problem had become so pervasive in the market that it felt like the only way to get a legit pair of certain models anymore was to order them directly from the manufacturer...
It seems there's a few discussions on Shure's own forums about the problem too, and on sites like Reddit, and videos on YouTube, giving people advice on how to spot the fakes. Because they can look extremely convincing. Seems like it's not only limited to their earphones either. There are lots of counterfeit microphones and other products too unfortunately.
I saw a similar discussion recently about some expensive Sennheiser earphones too. And someone had pics of the legit ones and the counterfeits, and it was crazy how similar the two looked. What a shame.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back