Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 12, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #46,546 of 63,957
The same thought crossed my mind. Apparently there's been a big problem with counterfeit Shure earphones. I haven't owned any personally, but I'm an avid Amazon user, and I noticed when looking at reviews for Shure's products that a number of the negative reviews involved customers receiving fakes! Some people even had several replacements sent to them all ending up being counterfeit! So it's not even limited to sites like Wish, Aliexpress, or even Ebay that buyers have to be cautious about. And the knock offs don't sound anywhere near as good as the genuine product. I saw a few people saying the problem had become so pervasive in the market that it felt like the only way to get a legit pair of certain models anymore was to order them directly from the manufacturer...
It seems there's a few discussions on Shure's own forums about the problem too, and on sites like Reddit, and videos on YouTube, giving people advice on how to spot the fakes. Because they can look extremely convincing. Seems like it's not only limited to their earphones either. There are lots of counterfeit microphones and other products too unfortunately.
I saw a similar discussion recently about some expensive Sennheiser earphones too. And someone had pics of the legit ones and the counterfeits, and it was crazy how similar the two looked. What a shame.
Not sure, but it IS certainly possible. I bought my set from Ebay from someone who bought 3 sets brand new. My set was sold because the person didn't think his brother-in-law would appreciate them, so I ended up buying them for about $435. At the time, the exchange between US $ and CDN $ was more on par, so I splurged. He sent them to me via UPS tho, and I was dinged an extra $118 CDN for duties and taxes. After chasing the UPS guy around to pay the extra $, I got the package. The set were pristine, with only the shrinkwrap taken off. Everything else was intact and original. Either way, the set themselves sounded like crap. At the time, they reminded me of the old single earbud that used to be included with old transistor radios back in the 70's. They sounded like it too! Lol!

Hrrm.. it seems my initial quoting of the msg about the Shure earphones didn't take for some reason...

Aug 12, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #46,547 of 63,957
Hrrm.. it seems my initial quoting of the msg about the Shure earphones didn't take for some reason...
Maybe it was me...my phone died when I was writing my response to @Slater. I sent it posted my reply, and halfway through, my phone shut down. Anyhow, I got your post...and like. For me, I just don't think I'm a Shure kinda guy. I've heard great things about the 846, but I'm just not in a position to drop that kinda coin. Even on cunuckaudiomart.com, a used set is going for many hundreds of $$'s. For the same price, their are many others that I'd give a shot to first.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #46,548 of 63,957
I still think I'm gonna pull the plug on the ZS7, next month. From everything I've read so far (and it's been months of reading and seeing this model come up over and over again), I really think it's time to add this to my collection. I absolutely love my ZS10 PRO, but I'm curious about the ZS7. If the bass and soundstage is everything that members have been talking about, I'm certain I'll be happy. Only thing for me is, will they fit me comfortably enough. Time will soon tell, I guess.

Aug 12, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #46,549 of 63,957
Maybe it was me...my phone died when I was writing my response to @Slater. I sent it posted my reply, and halfway through, my phone shut down. Anyhow, I got your post...and like. For me, I just don't think I'm a Shure kinda guy. I've heard great things about the 846, but I'm just not in a position to drop that kinda coin. Even on cunuckaudiomart.com, a used set is going for many hundreds of $$'s. For the same price, their are many others that I'd give a shot to first.

Totally understandable. Honestly, I've never had enough disposable income to drop that much $ on a pair of headphones lol. That's why I'm very grateful for all this variety in these wild ChiFi IEMs lol. Never would have dreamed of earphones sounding this dang good for such affordable prices! This is a hobby I can totally afford. I'm really enjoying it.

Aug 12, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #46,550 of 63,957
I still think I'm gonna pull the plug on the ZS7, next month. From everything I've read so far (and it's been months of reading and seeing this model come up over and over again), I really think it's time to add this to my collection. I absolutely love my ZS10 PRO, but I'm curious about the ZS7. If the bass and soundstage is everything that members have been talking about, I'm certain I'll be happy. Only thing for me is, will they fit me comfortably enough. Time will soon tell, I guess.
I've been wondering the same. I picked up the ZS10 Pro because of all the praises it's gotten and now I'm really curious about the ZS7 too. They do look a bit big and blocky, but I'd be willing to give em a try, just for the experience. But now I'm also considering waiting for that sexy looking ZSX to come out and see what the community thinks about it and maybe pick that up instead if it ends up being an improved version of the ZS7...

Aug 12, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #46,551 of 63,957
I've been wondering the same. I picked up the ZS10 Pro because of all the praises it's gotten and now I'm really curious about the ZS7 too. They do look a bit big and blocky, but I'd be willing to give em a try, just for the experience. But now I'm also considering waiting for that sexy looking ZSX to come out and see what the community thinks about it and maybe pick that up instead if it ends up being an improved version of the ZS7...
I'll be getting a pair the day they become available. They can't be a downgrade as that would be foolish for thKZ and they do look damn sexy. They actually look to be the same housing as the CCA A10 and KZ AS12 so I'm hoping they take advantage of that and use the same plastic housing with the tuning tubes that's used to hold the BA drivers in those 2 models.

My next one might be the ZS7 which I never picked up.

Aug 12, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #46,552 of 63,957
Has anyone else noticed that the KZ 8 Core Silver Upgrade "A" (ZS7) cable is either out of stock or discontinued?

I believe KZ does have one on Amazon Canada but it's like $40!

I have 3 KZ 8 Core Silver Upgrade "B" cables.
Brand new... if anyone wants to trade.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #46,553 of 63,957
I loved my E4c (with Knowles ED-26805), and I still regret getting rid of it to this day. Of course, the E5c used different drivers (ED-23619 + CI-22955), so i don’t know how it would have sounded in comparison.
I mentioned my Shure E4 a while ago, I liked them so much that I bought 2 sets back in the day (US$ 399 retail back in 2005/06, bought mine in the US). They've been my daily bangers for a couple years until one earpiece got killed by a drop of sweat and the other side slowly followed suit. The fixed cables got stiffer and stiffer over the years and finally broke on both sides of both sets, close to the earpieces - no need to mention those critters were out of warranty at that time. Shure offered to send me a replacement set for little less than the same price I originally paid - no thanks (go ..... yourself).
As to the sound of the E4 - maybe as good as it gets for a single BA IEM or close but then single BAs have their limits, no matter how well they're tuned (> Etys) and these days a good number of 12-30€ chi-fi IEMs (QT5, ZSN(Pro), ZS7, Tin T2, BQEYZ KC2, MD Crescents,...) get pretty close to the technical level of the E4 or even above IMO (details, imaging and separation, especially with busy tracks, (sub-)bass quality, ...).

Lessons learned:
- no more Shure products for me
- same story with 30+€ IEMs without replaceable cables and generally expensive stuff I can't easily open and fix myself
- I make sure my (multi-)BA or hybrids stay dry at all times (sweat, humidity, ...) and use sh.tloads of Silica-Gel in my waterproof cases

Anyway, I still have those two sets in storage somewhere, no big deal to fix them, I might even try to install MMCX connectors, time will tell.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #46,554 of 63,957
Aug 12, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #46,555 of 63,957
Didn't keep that ones. If I can't bump slightly the volume on a song I enjoy without feeling "pain" it's not worth it to me, and that's exactly the problem with the ZSN. To a lesser extent with the ZS10 pro but that "agression" characteristic is still looming.

Regardless of price I don't like to be agressed lol.

ZS7 is the most forward sound I tolerate comfortably, but for long sessions it's really relaxing to go back to my KB100 or KPE (apparently there's a bqeyz B1 that has the same characteristics than KB100, just more bass, it's around 36€ atm on ali, if anyone wants good value but something different, as KZ is a bit more of the same lately, look em up)
I ordered the BQEYZ KB100 as a counterweight to the treble forward KZ models. I have some music/mixes that need laid-back sort of treble. Thanks for a tip.

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #46,556 of 63,957
I ordered the BQEYZ KB100 as a counterweight to the treble forward KZ models. I have some music/mixes that need laid-back sort of treble. Thanks for a tip.

You're welcome, it's not only the treble, it's the general tonal/balance that is more relaxed, includes mids and bass that hasn't as much impact (but isn't lacking in any way imo)

Hope you'll enjoy them, they are not super far in sound quality from the KPE imho

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #46,557 of 63,957
Hey guys! I've owned my KZ ZS10 for a couple of months and until now, I'm really happy with the sound. However, I'm getting that chifi itch again and would want to get another one. I'm currently looking at three; KZ ZSN Pro, KZ ZS10 Pro, and CCA C10. I don't have any reference, but based on the reviews I've seen these three are really good. To be honest, I don't find anything wrong with the ZS10, but I'm itching to have something like a "modernized" ZS10. If the new one will introduce better details and tighter bass, then that's a bonus!

I know most might say go for the ZS10 Pro, but I'd like to keep my budget small.

-Will the ZSN Pro be a downgrade from the old KZ ZS10?
-How good is the CCA C10 compared to KZ ZS10? I've hear/seen that the CCA C10 is really smooth without compromising bass and treble.
-Out of the 3, KZ ZS10 Pro is the best (based on multiple reviews). But is the upgrade worth it from ZS10?

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #46,558 of 63,957
Hey guys! I've owned my KZ ZS10 for a couple of months and until now, I'm really happy with the sound. However, I'm getting that chifi itch again and would want to get another one. I'm currently looking at three; KZ ZSN Pro, KZ ZS10 Pro, and CCA C10. I don't have any reference, but based on the reviews I've seen these three are really good. To be honest, I don't find anything wrong with the ZS10, but I'm itching to have something like a "modernized" ZS10. If the new one will introduce better details and tighter bass, then that's a bonus!

I know most might say go for the ZS10 Pro, but I'd like to keep my budget small.

-Will the ZSN Pro be a downgrade from the old KZ ZS10?
-How good is the CCA C10 compared to KZ ZS10? I've hear/seen that the CCA C10 is really smooth without compromising bass and treble.
-Out of the 3, KZ ZS10 Pro is the best (based on multiple reviews). But is the upgrade worth it from ZS10?

I haven't heard the ZSN pro or C10 but i have ZS10 and ZS10Pro and they are very different IEMs and the pro is not really a direct successor actually.

The ZS10 Pro is less V shaped and brighter than the original ZS10. The former also has better details, instrument separation and clarity than the latter. Importantly, the fit and comfort is better on the ZS10 pro.
I personally think the soundstage is wider on the original ZS10, and the original also has deeper and louder bass (but it is not as detailed and quite muddy with a midbass bleed).

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #46,559 of 63,957

I have owned the SE846 and it is a great IEM...but it is truly worth price as a mundane professional monitor. It has lots of sub-bass, but will expose a recording’s flaws, especially when there is a ton of quantity bass. This will make you think that the bass is bleeding everywhere else, but it’s just the recording itself. The mids are intimate and lush, which will expose flaws in recording overtones and make you wish you could adjust the tone knob on the recording. The treble has a taut sparkle...which does not leave much to the imagination. The soundstage is about below average and will need better amping to improve upon it.

I enjoyed the JH Roxanne much more, which also has its own advantageous monitoring qualities. You can take almost all of the SE846’s qualities (except bass impact) and put them all into a larger soundstage in the Roxannes. Granted, the fit is terrible and I finally found a use for some SpinFit toddler-sized (XS) ear tips that I received from a trade.

A lot of people preferred various Campfire Audio Andromeda IEM models over the SE846, but I never bothered with them, as the housing is dimensionally the same as the KZ ZS6 and is not a very good fit over time for me. Either way, diminishing leisure values come into consideration for me and expensive IEMs, as I have other stuff that I can use for monitoring and do not need such precision in a portable monitor. Yes, I prefer Over-Ear and On-Ears over In-Ears for monitoring, but my need for monitoring portability is almost always considered and it is just not really at the SE846/Roxanne/Andromeda level.

Aug 12, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #46,560 of 63,957
I haven't heard the ZSN pro or C10 but i have ZS10 and ZS10Pro and they are very different IEMs and the pro is not really a direct successor actually.

The ZS10 Pro is less V shaped and brighter than the original ZS10. The former also has better details, instrument separation and clarity than the latter. Importantly, the fit and comfort is better on the ZS10 pro.
I personally think the soundstage is wider on the original ZS10, and the original also has deeper and louder bass (but it is not as detailed and quite muddy with a midbass bleed).
Yeah that's the praise I'm seeing as well, but the price is just right below my budget ceiling for these things lol! If C10 or ZSN Pro doesn't do the job, I might go straight to ZS10 Pro. I definitely like details, clarity, and instrument separation. Keeps my ears and mind alert to look for small details in the music. Like hearing the sticks of the drummer hitting the ride or hi-hat (actual stick sound, not the cymbal sound) and looking for those small but natural sounds (string slides, inconsistent but natural voice tone, etc.)

I really have high hopes for the CCA C10, but if it's a downgrade, I might pass on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back