1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. pbui44
    I was hoping you would talk about the sound to better justify your reason of owning a CA Andromeda, since you own one. It’s giving me an impression that the sound is not worth talking about in the first place.

2. B9Scrambler
    Sound has nothing to do with anything, and there is no comparison anyway. ZS6 is good for the price, but it does not compete with the Andro. You said the shells are the same. They're not. They're very similar, but the ZS6 is KZ's take on the CA design language and not a 1:1 copy. Still doesn't make what they did right, but they're not the same.

IMG_1281.JPG IMG_1282.JPG IMG_1284.JPG

3. SinisterDev
    I just recently got into the Chifi scene myself recently. I haven't heard the original ZS10 to compare, but I do own the ZS10 Pro and CCA C10 and I frikkin love them both lol! I've seen alot of complaints about the original ZS10, and some people who say they like them, but it does seem like the majority of users on here feel that the ZS10 Pro is leaps and bounds better.

I don't know much about the ZSN Pro,aside from what I've read on here. I've been seeing quite a few people mentioning things they like about the ZS7 lately. And also the ZSX is coming out soon, and that's looking pretty sexy. I'm really curious about it personally.

4. Zerohour88
    got the ZS5v1 to test out the "Andro" fit, then finally got the Andro itself. It definitely feels much more comfortable, despite the similar angular design. Could wear it for hours without issues.

B9Scrambler likes this.
  5. Assimilator702
    For all the things you mentioned that you like about a sound signature the C10 is an upgrade over the ZS10 PRO. I’m a drummer myself so anything percussion related is something I pay very close attention to. The ZS10 PRO is brighter and covers up much of the stick impacts which lie in the lower treble and some in the upper midrange. But it needs to be cohesive with the treble to tie it all together. C10 does this while the ZS10 PRO does not in many instances. My first test is track #1 on the Chick Corea album Like Minds which has a ride cymbal being lightly hit with what sounds like a wood tip. This sound is alone in that region as no other instruments are occupying that space and I know what it should sound like from the reference headphones I own or have heard it on. Other tracks I use are track #4 off Gogira Magma. Very clear hihats but recorded from a distance around three feet above the kit. The sound of the Hi-Hats clanging together should be very clear. Those sounds don’t sound right to my ear on the ZS10 PRO but do on the C10. This is the main reason I tend to not grab the ZS10 PRO many times considering I have other sets that get the top end much more “correct” sounding.

None of this budget Fi is perfect but each set has its own strengths so we grab the set that fits the recording. That’s the name of the game with the budget stuff.

I actually recommend the TRN IM2 if you like percussion reproduced without major isssues. $17 on AE and $25 on Amazon. Very enjoyable iem and it’s one of my favorites. Also if you don’t have a Tin HiFi T2 get that as it’s very nice from bottom to top. Micropore tape on the nozzle vent gives a considerable bass boost that never bleeds into the mids. $28 on AE right now. A no brainer and I’m kicking myself for not getting them sooner.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    1clearhead, rayliam80, KipNix and 3 others like this.
  6. courierdriver
    Same here and I'm glad you are having fun too. I'm in the same boat, as I don't have alot of discretionary surplus income to spend on really expensive stuff. When I first came across this Chifi gear a year ago, I was happy because now I could finally afford to buy something that sounded great and could compete with all that expensive stuff that other companies were selling for hundreds or thousands of $'s. I think that companies like Campfire, 64 Audio, Empire Ears, etc. don't do themselves or potential buyers any good, by alienating a huge portion of the general public, by charging such high prices, which only maybe 20% (and I might even be high on that guesstimate) of the world's population can afford. Before Chifi came along, I pretty much shut the door on ever getting back into my audio hobby. Everything that looked good and was well reviewed cost way beyond what I can afford. With Chifi getting better and better, there's no longer a need to spend thousands on a good iem or dap.

7. courierdriver
    Great choice and I'm sure you will hear the difference between them and your regular ZS10. After I bought my first set, I was sooo blown away at how good they sounded (my initial reaction was: "These only cost less than $50??!! That's unreal!") that I bought a second set for even less, to give to someone at Christmas. They really are THAT good. I guess in the end, it will all just depend on whether or not you like their sound signature. Personally, I really do and every time I use them, I keep questioning how something so inexpensive can sound so good.

KipNix and LaughMoreDaily like this.
  8. lgcubana
    Same. Prior to getting hooked by the hype on the Tin HiFi T3, I only had one pair of IEMS; which were bought for $60 USD, about 3 yrs ago. The expanse was so wide to the next step up, that I didn't bother.

Now with the constant evolution of the ChiFi options, I'm beginning to ponder the dumping of my headphone collection. I've never considered myself a real bass head, but if a track was recorded that way, I want to hear it. Now with options like the TFZ No. 3 and the KZ ZS7, I'm actually getting the sub bass, without making a sacrifice to the 20 hz - 120 hz range.

Also, it doesn't hurt to have portable DAC/Amp options like the Radsone ES100; which can (possibly) dial in your custom preference, on an IEM that hits most of your wish list.

9. courierdriver
    Yeah, I'm with you bro! I've got headphones (Grado SR225, Massdrop Hifiman HE4XX, BLON 2 and Takstar Pro82). Ready to sell all except for Takstar's. I'll never sell those, because of comfort and SQ. The fact that they are also pretty easy to drive with a dap or portable dac/amp, makes them my favorite over ears. Iems have come a long way and it's now possible to get the same SQ that was available 4 or 5 years ago, for much less money. As many others have already said; this is a great time to get awesome sounding gear for less money. People just need to stop stereotyping it, listen, and save their hard earned money. If people stopped being biased and opened their minds, they would be in for a pleasant surprise.

LaughMoreDaily and lgcubana like this.
  10. courierdriver
    If you have the ZS10 PRO and CCA 10, I don't think there is any reason to buy the ZSN/PRO. These 2 are already a step up in SQ, imo.

11. Miki811
    Now this got me thinking twice! Though I'm not a heavily percussive person, those stick plays and impacts really keeps me looking for them lol! I've already ordered the ZS10 Pro, so I guess I'll aim for the C10 next. I'm still looking forward with the ZS10 Pro though, but I'd wish I could buy both at the same time hahaha!

I did listen to a Chick Corea song and the one from Gojira using my ZS10. I'd say this ol' one plays good, but I don't know, I haven't heard/owned anything better than the ZS10 so I don't really know what to look for. But I do get the clear hihats being recorded around 3 feet, but then again, I don't have any reference for comparison. This really makes me excited as it could provide a new experience!

LaughMoreDaily likes this.
  12. SinisterDev
    That's what I was thinking too. But I am really curious to see how the ZSX is going to stack up against them.

13. Miki811
    Yeah, and I'm already experiencing somewhat like a buyer's remorse for not getting the C10. Would most likely feel the same for ZS10 Pro if I triggered for C10 lol! I'm definitely looking forward for the ZS10 Pro. I'm actually more excited that it will fit in my ear better with the smaller footprint compared to the bulky ZS10 -- I've got comments from time to time that it looks like I'm wearing hearing aids. :beyersmile:

14. froidy
    Thanks for the replies on tips for ZS10 PRO, I ended up getting some new bee foams off Amazon. Apparently the life isn't great but the price was right! May try some spinfit and comply tips down the track :)
    I've been using an ipod on shuffle to 'burn in' my IEM for around 50 hours now. Should I be using the 1MORE for better results?

15. Miki811
    I was using foams on my ZS10 (non pro) but ended up for spinfits. I dunno but the spinfits definitely gives a more "direct" sound and somehow increased the details and instrument separation on mine. :D