Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 24, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #34,082 of 63,838
Sorry if this goes on a bit.

Well after hours of trying, finally getting a decent (ish) fit with these new ED16.
Gees these things are a bugger to get a seal.
I tried all my go to tips and not one would get in my ears deep enough to get anywhere near comfortable, I don't think the length of the nozzles are the problem (although it could be) maybe the design of the shell itself on my ears, as a few times I felt like I was stabbing myself in the ear with the pointy part of the shell trying to get them to seal, Very painful.

Anyway after nearly giving up i tried the Sony hybrid and voila, comfort and a fairly decent seal. Not brilliant though and the isolation isn't the best, but certainly not a disaster.
So definitely not the best fitting of my KZ collection.
Sound wise though.....

After being a touch disappointed with the rather undetailed ES4 these sound more like the upgrade to the ES3 I was expecting, A Nice and fast bass which goes deep when needed with a nice punch.

One thing missing from the ES3 was the mids, rather too laid back and got lost on occasion, this doesn't happen here as they are nice and clear with plenty of body and sound full, thanks to the extra Ba for them. Very nice.

Treble for me here is nigh on perfect, detailed and full of sparkle but just like the ES3 ever so slightly rolled off, only here they are much fuller sounding but still dance away with zero fatigue. Top marks here.

So fit issues aside these are very impressive sound wise. Unfatiging, i could definitely listen for hours, These are very musical sounding indeed.
Not so much taken with the shape of the shells but still I'm very happy indeed with the sound.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #34,083 of 63,838
Jun 24, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #34,086 of 63,838
mine all packaged up for recycling

9938074_l.jpg

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #34,087 of 63,838
I think the KZ case is a tight fit for IEMs with detachable cables if you store the IEM with the cable attached.

Not really - the Mini Monitor Vault 1 that came included as stock accessory with my Westone W4R has easily got enough room for it, so does the Monitor Vault 2 that came with the UM Pro 10. They're more spacious than you might think and offer about the same space as most of the zipped storage bags or Brainwavz' old zipped storage bad (does anyone even remember that one?). The two ZS6s and the ZS5 I have here would fit rather well, even though something like the newer, elongated zipped Brainwavz storage bag of course offers more comfort.

Storage boxes that are too small though are the ones that came with my Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE900 and UE900S - I just couldn't get the IEMs to fit inside (they probably didn't consider the memory wire on the ear guides), and the storage boxes were, frankly speaking, also cheaply made. Therefore I got an oversized OtterBox and Thomann MixCase 1812A for them.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #34,088 of 63,838
Not really - the Mini Monitor Vault 1 that came included as stock accessory with my Westone W4R has easily got enough room for it, so does the Monitor Vault 2 that came with the UM Pro 10. They're more spacious than you might think and offer about the same space as most of the zipped storage bags or Brainwavz' old zipped storage bad (does anyone even remember that one?). The two ZS6s and the ZS5 I have here would fit rather well, even though something like the newer, elongated zipped Brainwavz storage bag of course offers more comfort.

Storage boxes that are too small though are the ones that came with my Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE900 and UE900S - I just couldn't get the IEMs to fit inside (they probably didn't consider the memory wire on the ear guides), and the storage boxes were, frankly speaking, also cheaply made. Therefore I got an oversized OtterBox and Thomann MixCase 1812A for them.

A little snug for me so I won't be buying any.

10130911.jpg

These have worked best for me.

51ZMjZdCXCL._AC_SY400_.jpg

715s4sia+YL (0).jpg

I fit two ZS6's in one case without worry. Just have each set face in opposite directions so the earpieces don't scratch.

$8 for a 2-pack.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #34,090 of 63,838
Spiral Dot+
+ is new version? I have regular spiral dot S size.
Is there another long stem, wide bore tip that is comparable to Auvio, that is not spiral dots?
These, but only come with this cheap (mediocre sounding) IEM: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...429.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.746e4c4dbhziYE
These give me very nice results with IT01, ZS5v1 and ATE FF-mod. Similar sound to Auvio S size wide-bore but have "cone" shape and longer stem/skirt, which can help extending nozzle length.
I use them for modded ZS5v1.
The colours of the new (Westone Monitor Vasul-/OtterBox-inspired) KZ storage box (https://www.gearbest.com/headphone-accessories/pp_009657512881.html) look pretty cool. I especially like the green.
I don`t know about You guys but after getting IT01 and the circle-case it uses, I don`t want to use those plastic cases and zip bags.
There are many like those out there and I will order some more for sure:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cas...469.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.70d82e0exXwnFV

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...740.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.70d82e0exXwnFV

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hig...686.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.70d82e0exXwnFV

They are so comfort and fast to use (silicone clamp-ring) and have just right amount of room, not being bulky from outside.
And if someone wants to add carry-clamp - it`s easy DIY.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #34,091 of 63,838

If the one from your 3rd link is about comparable to the original, then it's an awesome storage tin. I have the original that came with my Triple.Fi 10 and love it (looks great, is of high quality and quite practical as well as spacious enough yet small and portable).
The iBasso-like round one should be good, too - if the lid isn't fitting too loosely, which is unfortunately the case with the one that came with the IT01 I have on hand.
If any manufacturer offers a case somewhat similar to the one that came with my Shure SE846, it should be a good one too. It is among my favourite IEM cases. Imo the zipped Brainwavz ones are good too.
The Peli Cases are great too, however on the pricier side and quite large and bulky, therefore not really for portable use.
Personally, I really like the Westone Mini-Monitor Vault cases (made by Otter, if I'm not totally wrong) and their Chinese KZ copies, but the latch might break after some years (pressure from the rubber seal rings that can however be removed in order to prevent the latch from breaking).

Jun 25, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #34,092 of 63,838
On the subject of cases for our beloved earphones, I have bought a few lately, the KZ case is lovely but needs to be half as big again, I bought some others as in the pictures below. The blue one is big, you can get a DAP in there as well but the divider then crushes your headphones, not good. Whereas the purple one is just right, a bit floppy and the zip isn't fantastic but for me, the best size of all. All from our favourite supplier Ali whatever his name is! The case that looks black is purple on the outside, sorry!
upload_2018-6-25_15-27-58.png

upload_2018-6-25_15-28-23.png

upload_2018-6-25_15-28-51.png

upload_2018-6-25_15-29-14.png

Jun 25, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #34,093 of 63,838
Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #34,095 of 63,838
I'm using Xiaomi Mi5 and my headphone volume rarely goes over 70%, I'm considering to purchase Fiio A1 because it's cheap, but is it worth to purchase an amp if I do not listen to the full volume of my phone? And there are some cheap music players on Aliexpress (sub $50 USD), do you think these cheap music players is better than smartphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back