Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 26, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #34,111 of 63,834
You cannot expect from a Chinese BA....
Why not just compare it to the ES4? They're both IEMs and the Noble X still has a double-BA config in about the same size casing as a ZS10 (maybe a little narrower). Might not be a Knowles driver, but this still leans more towards an apples-to-apples comparison. The X is also supposed to be tuned towards the Django, which would be pretty close to the ES4's target. They're not that different, but the Noble X has just a bit more sparkle at the sacrifice of low-end extension.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #34,113 of 63,834
Jun 26, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #34,114 of 63,834
where are you getting that price?

RadioShack.com

They’re actually even cheaper with 15% off coupon code (RADIO15).

They have S and L 3-packs left at the $1 price.

The SML combo pack are $1.50, which is still totally worth it. You can often find a coworker or local member (that wears a different size than you) to split the 3-packs with.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #34,115 of 63,834
Jun 26, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #34,116 of 63,834

Yup. There’s also a S-only version, as well as a SML combo pack.

The additional advantages, besides being wide bore, are as follows:

1. They’re the same size and shape as Starlines (except with a wide bore). So if the Starlines fit you well, the Auvios will fit just as well. Compared to other tips, the Starlines (and Auvios) are kind of “in-between” sizes compared to some other tips.

2. They have the same diameter core as Starlines, so they fit IEMs better and tighter vs other common wide bore tips (ie Tennmak/KZ Turbo/Whirlwind). No worry about them falling off ZS6, ZS5, etc.

3. They core has a similar length as Starlines, so they allow a deep insertion (resulting in a better seal). Other wide bore tips (ie Tennmak/KZ Turbo/Whirlwind) have a much shorter core, which causes a poor/shallow seal on many IEMs.

4. You can stuff them with foam and make your own hybrid tips. You can’t do that with Tennmak/KZ Turbo/Whirlwind tips.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #34,117 of 63,834
Yup. There’s also a S-only version, as well as a SML combo pack.

The additional advantages, besides being wide bore, are as follows:

1. They’re the same size and shape as Starlines (except with a wide bore). So if the Starlines fit you well, the Auvios will fit just as well. Compared to other tips, the Starlines (and Auvios) are kind of “in-between” sizes compared to some other tips.

2. They have the same diameter core as Starlines, so they fit IEMs better and tighter vs other common wide bore tips (ie Tennmak/KZ Turbo/Whirlwind).

3. They have the same length core as Starlines, so they allow a deep insertion (resulting in a better seal). Other wide bore tips (ie Tennmak/KZ Turbo/Whirlwind) have a short core, so they result in a poor/shallow seal on many IEMs.

4. You can stuff them with foam and make your own hybrid tips. You can’t do that with Tennmak/KZ Turbo/Whirlwind tips.
Sounds great. Picked up two sets of the large, which came out to just north of 5 bucks shipped. Might be a nice alternative to the CP100 which seem to slide out of my ear canals if I'm moving about. The CP240 don't have that issue, but they are a narrower bore.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #34,118 of 63,834
Sounds great. Picked up two pairs of the large, which came out to just north of 5 bucks before shipping. Might be a nice alternative to the CP100 which seem to slide out of my ear canals if I'm moving about. The CP240 don't have that issue, but they are a narrower bore.

2 packs at $0.85 each is just north of $5 before shipping? Hmmm, that doesn’t sound right. What currency did you use? And did you use the coupon code?

Jun 26, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #34,119 of 63,834
2 packs at $0.85 each is just north of $5 before shipping? Hmmm, that doesn’t sound right. What currency did you use? And did you use the coupon code?
USD, used the coupon code, but shipping was 3 bucks and my order was taxed. Fixing my typo.

Jun 26, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #34,121 of 63,834
The details on the MID to high are cleaner and clearer as in the older version it wasn't all there and just meh?. The old version had a little too much bass for me. The new version fixes that up to a "T". They've changed the frequency specs since then as well. I can't tell you if it's a different driver, or not, but since trying the older version with the newer version, it's a no brainer and since then I have gotten' rid of my old one and gifted them.

Who ever gets them might want to double check that the frequency spec reads 20~22,000hz, not 20~20,000hz. Or, confirm it with the online store that it's coming from their newest batch sent from KZ.

My HD9 showed up, and unfortunately it was the v1. Way too bassy and dark for me. Mids are also veiled.

Oddly, it came with black Starline tips, which seems odd for being the old v1 version.

Luckily I only paid $3 for it, so it’s not that big of a deal. If I don’t reuse the shell for something, I’ll just gift it.

I haven’t decided if I’m going to try again and hope I get the better-sounding v2, or just cut my losses.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #34,122 of 63,834
Thought I'd check in with an update on my ED16 now I've had them for a bit.

Bit peed off that I can literally only use one style of tip on these, being a Sony hybrid type thing in a large.
Absolutely no other tips will seal, which is a pity as isolation is probably among the worst out of my collection, but hey ho swings and roundabouts I guess, Just a tad annoying.
And I'm still not sold on the shell design, way to sharp at the bottom.
Be careful putting these in as they can hurt.

I've noticed with these the more time I've spent with them that some songs can sound a touch boring....not that being a bad thing as it could be the recording, but these definitely benefit from a warm sounding player.
Not that they are bright in anyway either, but as they are somewhat balanced and tend to be a touch on the "Cold" side, the warmer player helps them to shine, For me anyway.

The bass is nice tight and punchy and goes deep when needed.
Mids are full clear and full of detail.
The treble is nice and detailed too with a lititle roll off and not fatiguing In any way.
Actually you could certainly use these as a stage monitor for sure, they are very suited for this.

All in all I'm quite pleased with them, most definitely better than my ZSR by quite some way, and a very pleasant musical sounding monitor. :)

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #34,125 of 63,834
Is there any difference between comply foam and those cheap foam tips on Aliexpress? Does comply sound better than those cheap foam?
Sort of yes.

Comply foam type is a company secret and it dampens earphone toward open field curve.

Other brands can dampen more or less, boarseman foam damps less, TinAudio damps less.

OK the best foam you can get

1. Comply
2. Tekfusion Kingtips
3. Signature acoustic foam
4. New Bee

Because these 4 damps the same amount of peaks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back