Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 21, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #33,976 of 63,960
Need some help by you guys:

My ZS3 broke so now I'm looking for a replacement. KZ apparently made a lot of new IEMs so I'm just curious about what they have to offer now.

One thing that I really look for in IEMs is clarity. I hate muddy sound/bass just as much as sharp highs which mask much of the subtle sounds that may exist in a song.

I prefer a slightly more natural sound signature as well. I don't really like exaggerated bass or treble, though generally I'd say I like it if there is some mid-range-dominance, but honestly, only if it isn't excessive.

I generally welcome it it if the IEMs have a bit more of a "fun" sound signature, but really only if it is within a range which can be considered not-too-far-off of natural.

Got any advice for me?

Thanks in advance!

- Tin Audio T2
- BossHifi B3
- EMI CI-880 (a great IEM, but is pretty bright if you are super treble sensitive. Not sharp, just bright (and nowhere near ZS6 levels)

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #33,977 of 63,960
OK, I got this all squared away with the seller. They are EDR1. They sent me a photo of the new style white box (that clearly says EDR1). If you buy the 5 pack, they simply remove them from the white boxes and put them in 1 larger box.

I bought qty 10, and the seller even threw in one of the new KZ Pelican-style ABS storage boxes, as I've been wanting one of those for a while now (which is worth $6 if you factor in shipping)!

XMas stocking stuffers for $2.60 each? What a deal!

Thanks for turning me onto the deal - you made my day. I owe you a beer :beer:

I have an update on this.

The 5-packs of EDR1 arrived today from the KZ Global Store (I actually got 2 5-packs).

They were nice enough to keep them all in the original factory sealed (and shrink-wrapped) KZ white box. All ready for gift giving woo hoo. If you are looking to introduce friends, family, or coworkers to the joys of ChiFi, this is a great way to do it. And for $2.60 each pair!

Also, I forget who was asking about the size of the clear KZ ABS storage case (the KZ Official Store was nice enough to include 1 of the cases for free :)

Anyways, whoever it was wanted to see how big it was, if it could fit a ZS6, etc. Well, it is reeeeally small. It would be OK for any of the smaller IEMs, but it’s going to be a headache for stuff with huge bodies and memory wires (like ZS5, ZSR, ZS6, ZS10, etc).

I mean technically if you carefully wrap the wires juuust right, and cram it in with patience and efficiency, it is possible to get the bigger IEMs to fit.

So now that I’ve seen all of the KZ cases, I prefer the large black plastic KZ case. Sure, the plastic is a little thinner on the larger black case vs the indestructible pelican-like plastic on the small clear case, but it’s not like you’re going to be running either case over with a Humvee.

The black case is nice and roomy. You don’t have to remove the cables from the IEM, and you don’t even have to bend the memory wires. Just roll up the wire and lay it in the case however you want and you’re done. There’s even enough room that it prevents the metal bodies IEMs like the ZS6 from scratching one another (which is a problem on smaller more cramped cases).

Here's some comparison photos. The clear box is about 1.2 the volume of the black box. The clear box is roughly the same width, is half the length, and is a little thinner.

IMG-1896.JPG
IMG-1895.JPG

The ZS6 with 8-braid upgrade wire in each box:
IMG-1897.JPG
IMG-1898.JPG

A side view. You can see how the IEM is really piled into the small box to get it to all fit (and yes the lid does close all the way):
IMG-1902.JPG
IMG-1900.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #33,978 of 63,960
- Tin Audio T2
- BossHifi B3
- EMI CI-880 (a great IEM, but is pretty bright if you are super treble sensitive. Not sharp, just bright (and nowhere near ZS6 levels)
Sorry, I forgot to mention - it'd be great if the IEMs have a bluetooth module, similar to how KZ sells them.

Of course I'm not limited to KZ and your recommendations look very nice, but I haven't been able to find bluetooth modules for them unfortunately.

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #33,980 of 63,960
Sorry, I forgot to mention - it'd be great if the IEMs have a bluetooth module, similar to how KZ sells them.

Of course I'm not limited to KZ and your recommendations look very nice, but I haven't been able to find bluetooth modules for them unfortunately.

TinAudio T2 uses MMCX. You can find Bluetooth MMCX cables on Aliexpress.

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #33,981 of 63,960
Dang. Them little cases are pretty small. I ordered 2 of them and some blue turbines about a month ago and still don't have them. I suppose that edr1 and ed4 will have some cases. hehe.

Yeah, the clear case is dinky that’s for sure.

All of the sellers charge high shipping prices on them as well for some reason. So by the time you add the shipping charges, they run $6-$10 depending on the seller. Not worth it IMO.

The EDR1, EDR2, ED4, ED9 etc fit great in the little KZ square EVA foam zippered cases (the ones with the fake carbon fiber finish on them). You can find them between $0.40-$1.00. There's even enough room for 2 IEMs in those cases (one under the netting on the lid), or misc stuff like spare tips or pigtails (lighting headphone adapters etc).

The zippered cases are perfect to slip into your pants or coat pocket without anyone noticing too. The bigger/thicker cases like I posted above look ridiculous in your pocket (ie "is that an IEM case in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?").

small zippered case.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #33,982 of 63,960
Can someone tell me what is an ED-SE?

I finally received a pair of EDR1, and can say I am pretty impressed with that little driver.

I think KZ, should spend R&D $$ working on perfecting single DD sound sigs.

The only 3 I own are EDR1, EDR2, and atr, and I think they're on the right track with those.

@Slater thanks for the well wishes.

I am alive, bike is totalled, left shoulder needs surgery, after 47 years riding in California, will have to hang up helmet for good.

The reason for my more than passing interest in small iem's is it hurts to much to properly fit molded hybrids.

I fit mine usually by lifting hand over head, tugging opposite ear and getting a good seal.
Now with injured left arm strapped to my side, and having long hair that's not going to happen for quite awhile.

Jun 22, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #33,983 of 63,960
Can someone tell me what is an ED-SE?

I finally received a pair of EDR1, and can say I am pretty impressed with that little driver.

I think KZ, should spend R&D $$ working on perfecting single DD sound sigs.

The only 3 I own are EDR1, EDR2, and atr, and I think they're on the right track with those.

@Slater thanks for the well wishes.

I am alive, bike is totalled, left shoulder needs surgery, after 47 years riding in California, will have to hang up helmet for good.

The reason for my more than passing interest in small iem's is it hurts to much to properly fit molded hybrids.

I fit mine usually by lifting hand over head, tugging opposite ear and getting a good seal.
Now with injured left arm strapped to my side, and having long hair that's not going to happen for quite awhile.

EDSE is ED Special Edition. It uses the same zinc alloy shell as the EDR1 but with a different driver. The EDR1 is superior to the EDSE.

I’m with you on the single drivers. I definitely in the camp that believes that you can have awesome sound without the use of BAs. It’s all in the driver and tuning. Dynamic-only IEMs like the Pioneer CH9T and ibasso IT01 run circles around many hybrids.

Since you are looking at wearing the piston style IEMs for the foreseeable future, see if you can track down the HDS3. It’s like a shrink down micro sized EDR2 shell. Very comfy and easy to insert and remove. It’s one of the more neutral sounding KZs, which is rare in their lineup. It’s one of my favorite KZs, and is like a diamond in the rough.

Wow, that bike stuff sounds heavy man. Good luck with the shoulder surgery!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #33,984 of 63,960
I bought the KZ ZS5, something went wrong while I was trying to order the ZS6. They're very good, but the hard sharp edges are a bit uncomfortable. Worst part is: the nozzles are straight, and the tips fall off all the time :frowning2:

You can try the foam tips. They help hold a bit better. You really have to manipulate the ZS6s to get them to fit. Quite a bit of turning and shoving. That's exactly why I use my ZSAs now mostly. They're a bit smaller, fit perfectly, sound around 80 percent or so as good as the ZS6s. I love mine!

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #33,985 of 63,960
Jun 22, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #33,986 of 63,960

see kz ed16 with TRN BT3 cable

Jun 22, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #33,988 of 63,960
You can try the foam tips. They help hold a bit better. You really have to manipulate the ZS6s to get them to fit. Quite a bit of turning and shoving. That's exactly why I use my ZSAs now mostly. They're a bit smaller, fit perfectly, sound around 80 percent or so as good as the ZS6s. I love mine!
ah, my foam tips are still unused and sitting in the plastic bag. I'll try those. I've used foam tips before, but those would tear quickly, or be rubbish.
I'm considering the ZSR's, since the edges are smooth and rounded. I'm really enthousiastic about IEM's that can only be worn over the ear. SO much better.
thanks a lot, sounds interesting. I'll try it. I'm curious how much effort it needs to remove them anyway.

Jun 22, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #33,989 of 63,960
ED16 is neutral?
no but it is somewhat balanced and can be easily equalized for neutrality and costs much less than tinaudio t2
the trn cable itself costs 21$ which would dent harder his wallet with combo of t2 ( MMCX version of cable available on Aliexpress)

Jun 22, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #33,990 of 63,960
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/harman-tweaks-its-headphone-target-response

I wanna discuss harman target for in-ears headphones
i see
1) a good sub bass boost and lowered upper mid bass to reduce mid bass bleed and muddiness which is good
2) a high peak at 3khz which i dont understand (for better harmonics maybe)
3) a relatively high 8khz need explanation for that (better cymbals maybe)
4) a sharp rolloff at 16khz for in ears ( why not 20khz?)

i was looking for one ideal allround equalization for my KZ ES4 and Rose North Forest separately so i came across this article posted here in some thread i dont remember

Users who are viewing this thread

Back