Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 21, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #33,946 of 63,958
Love a cheaper one, find its alternative on higher price(same SQ) and then you will feel justified...

Well law of diminishing return does play, but I think after 500$

or buy iems that has multiple signature like lz a4 or flac 8s

On a side note, I've bought zs10 and sold it immediately. While it sounds good, it sounds bad at the same time. I cant find the right word to describe zs10 but it's a bad and confusing iem. Even kz ate I would prefer it.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #33,947 of 63,958
or buy iems that has multiple signature like lz a4 or flac 8s

I thought so too and then got very disappointed with the FLC8S. Regardless of filters used it's got a significant dip at 5khz which is something I have since discovered I don't like at all. It's not like you can fully sculpt the sound as with an EQ with those kind of IEMs, they've still got a "base signature" which you like or not.

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #33,948 of 63,958
I thought so too and then got very disappointed with the FLC8S. Regardless of filters used it's got a significant dip at 5khz which is something I have since discovered I don't like at all. It's not like you can fully sculpt the sound as with an EQ with those kind of IEMs, they've still got a "base signature" which you like or not.

O didnt know abt that since i dont own flc8s. A dip in 5khz is definitely not in my wishlist.

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #33,950 of 63,958

So true.

Different tips (and filters on specific earphones) usually only affect specific frequencies a couple of dBs up or down. But it’s nowhere near the granular control of EQ.

EQ gets such a bad rap, like it’s some sort of evil monster that will totally destroy sonic qualities and also eat all of your leftovers while you are away at work.

A lot of that fear is unjustified, or misunderstood ideas taken out of context. I’ve known people that say “EQ is bad”, yet listen to their music via streaming Spotify to a phone. C’mon, get real.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #33,951 of 63,958
ED15 update. I know, this thing is old news. It's been out for months now. That's a decade in the world of KZ, haha.

I tend to keep my thoughts on burn in, or break in, or whatever you want to call it to myself, but the ED15 is a great example of why you hold off on dropping early thoughts (even with initial impressions warnings, subject to change, etc.). A few weeks back I a/b'ed another Head-fi'ers ED15 with my own and it exhibited significantly less sibilance. Was a much nicer listen, being that it wasn't the sizzling cesspool of sibilance mine was. The only difference between the two was that his had a lot more play time. So, for the last few weeks the ED15 has been on and off the burner. Popped em in today and took a listen to The Crystal Method's "Grace ft. LeAnn Rimes" which is painful to listen to at the best of times. While sibilance was still there, it was nowhere near as bad as before. Went back to a few of the tracks I suggested to @Otto Motor (Aesop Rock - Blood Sandwich / Schiller - Under My Skin (feat. Kim Sanders) / Dillon Francis - We The Funk / Lenzman - Open Page (Feat. Riya) / BT - The Great Escape (feat. Caroline Lavelle) / De La Soul - Attack of the Stet) back in April and they all sounded much better too. Still a little hot on Blood Sandwich, but plenty listenable still.

Conclusion? The ED15 has AMAZING bass with lots of texture and detail, but with some spice in the treble and mids. Not for the treble sensitive, but should be a safe buy for the rest that want something entertaining. Build is amazing too. Might go ahead with a proper review on these now.

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #33,953 of 63,958
Wow I don’t really believe in burn in but I feel that the ZS6 highs have toned down a bit. But it could also mean that I’ve gotten use to the sound. I have added new bee silicon tips to the rotation.

I'm a skeptic of it but I've had some experiences in the past, and most recently with the ED15, that have kept me on the fence and open to the idea. *shrug*

Jun 21, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #33,955 of 63,958
Hyla CE5 vs KZ ZS6 and then you will understand what you should compare too..
I just don't get it. How can you compare those earphones with the price difference of +30 times?! It's the same as to compare a bus to a rocket. They both move.

Jun 21, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #33,956 of 63,958
For god sake bro read the thrrad...

He started comparing 1000$ stuff with 50$ stuff..

What I said is to compare same signature and then he will get to know what they did in the engineering..

He compared neutral expensive iem to v shape 50$ iem and preferred 50$....because the earlier one sounded lifeless to him...

I said to compare same signature on different price tag and then make a comparison

I just don't get it. How can you compare those earphones with the price difference of +30 times?! It's the same as to compare a bus to a rocket. They both move.

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #33,957 of 63,958
Would it be worth selling my es3 and zsr for the zs6? Not a fan of the look but with how much everyone raves on them, I'm curious.

Zs10 are going nowhere. Love them.

Nah. it wouldn't be worth selling the es3 and zsr for the zs6 (imo) As an owner of the ZS6 and ZS10... The ZS10 gets way more use then the ZS6. The ZS6 is just too sibilant to listen to for fun. You're paying for the metal look on the ZS6 when the ZSR seems to deliver better bass response with less fatigue in the highs compared to the ZS6.

That being said: The ZS3 is my daily exercise IEM and the ZS10 is what I use to listen to while working.

some lindsay sterling

2 hours of drum & bass

holy crap. whoever recommended this song as a test for your ears.... this is painful to listen to.... especially at 1:33 shudders* that sound is so annoying

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #33,959 of 63,958
Wow I don’t really believe in burn in but I feel that the ZS6 highs have toned down a bit. But it could also mean that I’ve gotten use to the sound. I have added new bee silicon tips to the rotation.

not gonna say much on the topic since its contentious, but its not a catch-all for all earphones. Some need it, some don't. I remember the Dita Answer needing 200+ hour of burn-in before settling (some reviewer noted the difference between burned-in and OOTB pairs). Not to mention the Truth cable made by VDH (on the Answer Truth) significantly changing the sound sig.

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #33,960 of 63,958
I received my ES4 order yesterday and I'm very surprised at all the positive reviews over the zs10. To me the sound signatures are similar but mids on the es4 are a bit veiled/muddy sounding. I like the amount of bass and treble with the es4 but the highs on the zs10 have a lot more air and detail. I'd prefer they be a bit less recessed but the separation and detail are fantastic. I occasionally hear the upper mids of the zs10 get a bit wonky like others have mentioned but I'll take that over the muddiness present with the es4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back