Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 22, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #34,051 of 63,958
Has anyone charted or tested "hybrid" (silicone with foam core) comparing SQ vs silicone? (ex starlines)

I’m sure somewhere.

Hybrid tips have been commercially produced a number of times, including by some big name companies. So I’m sure one or more of them did plenty of testing and measuring.

Jun 22, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #34,052 of 63,958
I've decided to put aside for a while this "no eq" principle of mine and tried to fix the very technically potent but with tonal flaws (for me at least) zs10.

I'm using the settings below and I like very much how it turned out:
- mids more forward due to hot upper mids/lower trebble (2-4 KHz spike) being dialed down;
- instruments sound natural now due to upper treble roll-off restored;
- while at it I've also dialed down mid bass for a bit - also helps bringing mids forward;
- details, layering, soundstage, separation at best now that it sounds correct (again, for me) sonically.

Maybe other people upset with zs10 flaws might try this and realise how very good these should have sounded if properly tuned in the first place.
No reason not to keep them now I think.

PS: wide bores used to maximize mids and treble exposure.

Im gonna play with that a bit. Been doing this with good results, but I will admit I was raising the low end a bit to warm up things a bit at the expense of clarity.
IMG_20180622_202049.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #34,053 of 63,958
Do you guys get minor electric shock when using metal shell IEMs? I'm using CI880 on my laptop and when I connect the earphone to my laptop then put the earphone to my ear, I feel like there's a minor electric shock inside my ear, when plugging into my smartphone, I do not feel electric shock, is it because my laptop or the earphone (which is very old, no battery so it needs to connect to adapter all the time). When using plastic shells IEMs like KZ, I don't feel electric shock.

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #34,055 of 63,958
Do you guys get minor electric shock when using metal shell IEMs? I'm using CI880 on my laptop and when I connect the earphone to my laptop then put the earphone to my ear, I feel like there's a minor electric shock inside my ear, when plugging into my smartphone, I do not feel electric shock, is it because my laptop or the earphone (which is very old, no battery so it needs to connect to adapter all the time). When using plastic shells IEMs like KZ, I don't feel electric shock.

That’s a grounding/isolation problem with the laptop.

I’ve actually seen SSD hard drives and memory sticks permanently die from similar static electric issues.

Jun 22, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #34,056 of 63,958
Need some help by you guys:

One thing that I really look for in IEMs is clarity. I hate muddy sound/bass just as much as sharp highs which mask much of the subtle sounds that may exist in a song.

I prefer a slightly more natural sound signature as well. I don't really like exaggerated bass or treble, though generally I'd say I like it if there is some mid-range-dominance, but honestly, only if it isn't excessive.

I generally welcome it it if the IEMs have a bit more of a "fun" sound signature, but really only if it is within a range which can be considered not-too-far-off of natural.

First of all, thanks to everyone who has answered my question. I took a good hard look at everyone of the products mentioned.

Now, someone has pointed out that emphasized mids and fun sound signature are usually contradictory (which I blame on my lack of knowledge about audio stuff in general, haha), so just try to ignore the part about the "fun" sound signature. When I said "fun" I meant that it can deviate a bit from what people may consider neutral/natural, as long as it doesn't deviate too much. Rest still stands though: emphasized mids, also maybe a decent amount of mid bass, even if that means that sub bass is slightly recessed, and also recessed highs (mainly because I really hate pierce and hearing fatigue). Basically: warm sound while keeping the bass at bay.

I've looked at some of the options presented:

ED16: does look very good, but some have pointed out its not perfectly neutral sound signature, so I've been looking at others.

TinAudio T2: looks even better than the ED16, but what worries me a bit is the part of this review where it says:"Unfortunately, this treble will probably be too much for people with sensitive hearing". Simply because my hearing is pretty damn sensitive, and also because I'd prefer recessed highs.

Unfortunately, many options were removed immediately due to the lack of a removable cable which I need for bluetooth.

So, I've decided to go on audiobudget.com and compare some of the other IEMs to the T2 and the ED16. Now I'm kinda stuck at the NICECHK Bro: non-piercing sound, not muddy, mid-bass emphasis, bright mids all sounds pretty good and also a bit more true to my taste compared to the ED16 and T2. Also, MMCX so I can get myself a bluetooth cable.

Unless anyone tells me that getting the NICECHK Bro would be a terrible mistake/ not actually what I want and I just think that it is what I want because I'm really bad at audio stuff and don't really know what I'm reading, I'll probably get them, haha.

Again, thanks for everyone who has answered so far and thanks in advance for every coming answer!

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #34,057 of 63,958
First of all, thanks to everyone who has answered my question. I took a good hard look at everyone of the products mentioned.

Now, someone has pointed out that emphasized mids and fun sound signature are usually contradictory (which I blame on my lack of knowledge about audio stuff in general, haha), so just try to ignore the part about the "fun" sound signature. When I said "fun" I meant that it can deviate a bit from what people may consider neutral/natural, as long as it doesn't deviate too much. Rest still stands though: emphasized mids, also maybe a decent amount of mid bass, even if that means that sub bass is slightly recessed, and also recessed highs (mainly because I really hate pierce and hearing fatigue). Basically: warm sound while keeping the bass at bay.

I've looked at some of the options presented:

ED16: does look very good, but some have pointed out its not perfectly neutral sound signature, so I've been looking at others.

TinAudio T2: looks even better than the ED16, but what worries me a bit is the part of this review where it says:"Unfortunately, this treble will probably be too much for people with sensitive hearing". Simply because my hearing is pretty damn sensitive, and also because I'd prefer recessed highs.

Unfortunately, many options were removed immediately due to the lack of a removable cable which I need for bluetooth.

So, I've decided to go on audiobudget.com and compare some of the other IEMs to the T2 and the ED16. Now I'm kinda stuck at the NICECHK Bro: non-piercing sound, not muddy, mid-bass emphasis, bright mids all sounds pretty good and also a bit more true to my taste compared to the ED16 and T2. Also, MMCX so I can get myself a bluetooth cable.

Unless anyone tells me that getting the NICECHK Bro would be a terrible mistake/ not actually what I want and I just think that it is what I want because I'm really bad at audio stuff and don't really know what I'm reading, I'll probably get them, haha.

Again, thanks for everyone who has answered so far and thanks in advance for every coming answer!

That line on the T2 treble is bunk IMO. For every 1 HeadFier that doesn’t like the T2, there’s 200 that do. You can find people that don’t like every single headphone on the planet, even TOTL models costing thousands.

You have no reason to be afraid of the T2 treble. It’s treble is no sharper than the Bro (which I also own).

The Bro is very average sounding, and there is no comparison with the T2. The T2 is legendary for a reason.

If you are that sensitive to treble, and want a warm and fun IEM, get the KZ ZSR (or even ZS3).

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #34,058 of 63,958
Im going to rec **** 6in1. Been playing with this thing all week and despite having thrown everything at it, it just plain kills at all genres. Elevated sub bass, semi deep mid bass hit with forward mids and a nice lovely treble that doesn't pierce. They can get shouty at high volumes or on really badly mixed albums that are upper mid centric(jpop), but overall they are quite nice, warm and energetic.

My favorite sound sig in the world in Yamaha Pro500. W shape with blazing fast low end and almost a frantic out of control energy level to them. been looking for a comparable iem sig and 6in1 is closest so far.

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #34,060 of 63,958
Did anyone try the KZ USB C DAC? It is < $10 on AE. :astonished: Boutique DAC companies charge 100s of dollars for DACs.
There are 2 versions. One angled and another one straight. Not sure whether the are interchangeable if you have multiple KZ that require the different versions based on the description.

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #34,061 of 63,958
The AB dude seems sus. Copy-pastes reviews.

Thanks for pointing that out.

That line on the T2 treble is bunk IMO. For every 1 HeadFier that doesn’t like the T2, there’s 200 that do. You can find people that don’t like every single headphone on the planet, even TOTL models costing thousands.

You have no reason to be afraid of the T2 treble. It’s treble is no sharper than the Bro (which I also own).

The Bro is very average sounding, and there is no comparison with the T2. The T2 is legendary for a reason.

If you are that sensitive to treble, and want a warm and fun IEM, get the KZ ZSR (or even ZS3).

Honestly, I didn't even know that the T2 is considered legendary. If you say that there is no reason to be afraid of the T2 treble, then I'll believe that and probably go with it if that is the recommendation of you and some others, along with this cheap thing.

The ZS3 is the one I used to own and while it was good, it wasn't quite made for me. Felt maybe a bit too bassy (at least the sub bass) and lacked some of my preferred mid-dominance. Basically, I'd say it was sufficiently warm but with too much of the warmth coming from the sub bass, if you get what I mean.

Jun 23, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #34,062 of 63,958
Did anyone try the KZ USB C DAC? It is < $10 on AE. :astonished: Boutique DAC companies charge 100s of dollars for DACs.
There are 2 versions. One angled and another one straight. Not sure whether the are interchangeable if you have multiple KZ that require the different versions based on the description.

I'd get it only if I needed a converter and don't mind about SQ. Other than that, just find the various cheap chi-fi USB DAC available, like the SMSL X4 (or even the Breeze Audio SE4), amazing value even when compared to stuff from Audioquest

Jun 23, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #34,063 of 63,958

There's a few companies selling usb c dac for that sort of price. Google's own USB C cable is only $10.

Jun 23, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #34,065 of 63,958
I’m sure somewhere.

Hybrid tips have been commercially produced a number of times, including by some big name companies. So I’m sure one or more of them did plenty of testing and measuring.

I agree somewhere it's been done.:slight_smile:

I have been using starlines as well, and definitely agree about the depth of insertion with whirlwinds.

So I'll start the hunt for Auvio since I have never tried them.

Is there another long stem, wide bore tip that is comparable to Auvio, that is not spiral dots?
I have tried spiral dots, but my ears didn't care for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back