Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 29, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #31,606 of 63,916
Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #31,607 of 63,916
It appears to be based off the TRN V10 housing, which I remember owners commenting about it being enormous and uncomfortable. I'd be willing to bet that at BEST, the VK1 will be a side grade. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
So they aren't too bad then, are they?
Still waiting for my pair...

Last night I thought they sounded great. Will use them again later tonight. Not built like a ZS6 but I think they look cool. The cable is similar to the TRN black one. I got the no mic version as I always do if there is a choice. I found them comfortable enough and I am not generally a fan of the over ear style. Difficult with glasses AND long hair.

They sounded good with the stock tips but after a couple hours they started to hurt a bit. Took a break and later put on Starlines. Big difference in comfort and sound for me. I listened to several albums and finally went to bed just before five. When my husband works nights that is my nightshift too... listening to music while he slaves away:)

Plenty of bass for me... went deep. Vocals, male and female, were beautiful. Not sure exactly where my high frequency hearing rolls off but these sounded good enough to me in that area. Lovely spaciousness. I have left them burning in all day. I never hear a difference ...but I do it anyway.

I've seen your posts on other threads. You have a number of phones and more importantly an appreciation for music in general. Zs6 or Zsr, and why, please.

@Devodonaldson I have not had a chance to compare and would hesitate to guess what you would like best. You may want to also consider the QKZ that I have mentioned above. I think you have the Nighthawks? Not saying these sound anything like them... they may or may not... but I was having a similar relaxed listen to favorite albums like I do with my NH. That is kind of my way to test gear... If I start a track to check out a certain sound and then end up listening to the whole album...and then another, and another... That has also happened to me with the ZS6 and the ZSR (had to fix that... I had accidently written ZST instead of ZSR too many ZSs) . My ZS10 will probably arrive this week.

Edited to add: I was using them with my Cayin N3 DAP low gain, volume around 40/100

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #31,609 of 63,916
KZ ES4 Group.jpg

Choo choo! Here comes the KZ ES4 :)

Looks like a small brother to the ZS10. Considering I have purchased three new KZ models this year already (ZSR, ZS10, ED15), - and realistically anticipating that the ES4 will not challenge the ZSR or ZS10 in any way [KZ would not let it happen that a cheaper model beats their top priced ones hands down] - I think I am covered for now. No hearing shock to be expected.

They look good, though.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #31,611 of 63,916
i just god my ZS6,

They do feel a bit vailed at times, and in others like less bright ZS6. im actually liking them,

They do feel extreamly cheap compared to the ZS6.

I am confused... which one did you just get?

Apr 29, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #31,612 of 63,916
Has anyone modded any earphones using the MMCX connectors? they're very affordable but many complain about how wonky they are and how easy they break.
I would like to mod my KZ ATE to use detachable cable, they have a spacious casing size and the model fits perfectly the design of detachable cable earphones. I would love to mod them to use standard KZ 2 pin connectors but nobody sells them unfortunately.

@CoiL has done this. You have to use a round MMCX connector, instead of the ones with the straight edges.

If you search around, info was posted recently on the type of MMCX connector to use.

Apr 29, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #31,613 of 63,916
Last night I thought they sounded great. Will use them again later tonight. Not built like a ZS6 but I think they look cool. The cable is similar to the TRN black one. I got the no mic version as I always do if there is a choice. I found them comfortable enough and I am not generally a fan of the over ear style. Difficult with glasses AND long hair.

They sounded good with the stock tips but after a couple hours they started to hurt a bit. Took a break and later put on Starlines. Big difference in comfort and sound for me. I listened to several albums and finally went to bed just before five. When my husband works nights that is my nightshift too... listening to music while he slaves away:)

Plenty of bass for me... went deep. Vocals, male and female, were beautiful. Not sure exactly where my high frequency hearing rolls off but these sounded good enough to me in that area. Lovely spaciousness. I have left them burning in all day. I never hear a difference ...but I do it anyway.

@Devodonaldson I have not had a chance to compare and would hesitate to guess what you would like best. You may want to also consider the QKZ that I have mentioned above. I think you have the Nighthawks? Not saying these sound anything like them... they may or may not... but I was having a similar relaxed listen to favorite albums like I do with my NH. That is kind of my way to test gear... If I start a track to check out a certain sound and then end up listening to the whole album...and then another, and another... That has also happened to me with the ZS6 and the ZSR (had to fix that... I had accidently written ZST instead of ZSR too many ZSs) . My ZS10 will probably arrive this week.

Edited to add: I was using them with my Cayin N3 DAP low gain, volume around 40/100
For the record I'm a Nighthawk/Nightowl person with hybrid pads, or iSine20 with foam tips person. Present treble but not boosted. So, based on those likes, which KZ model/models would you recommend?

Apr 29, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #31,614 of 63,916
Got the ZS6 from Aliexpress and have to say that I'm really pleased with them. Sound open, airy with enough bass. The only thing I don't like is the "dip" around 5-6kHz which I can hear especially with a slightly recessed sounding snare drum. Got this sound also from the B400 from Brainwavz and my returned FIBAE3 from Custom Art. In comparison to the FIBAE3 and the B400, the ZS6 doesn't sound "veiled". This might be due to the spikes in the treble.
Good measurements can be found here btw.

Apr 29, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #31,615 of 63,916
For the record I'm a Nighthawk/Nightowl person with hybrid pads, or iSine20 with foam tips person. Present treble but not boosted. So, based on those likes, which KZ model/models would you recommend?

What is your budget and does it have to be KZ. I think there are people better than me to advise you or you can read all the comments and try to decide... or you could just get them all:) If I had to guess I would suggest the ZSR. You have a choice of colors and it seems more universally liked than some of the others. You could check out the Hidden Gems thready if you are open to other inexpensive brands.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...-reference-list.805930/page-659#post-14207589

I have never heard an iSine

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #31,616 of 63,916
What is your budget and does it have to be KZ. I think there are people better than me to advise you or you can read all the comments and try to decide... or you could just get them all:) If I had to guess I would suggest the ZSR. You have a choice of colors and it seems more universally liked than some of the others. You could check out the Hidden Gems thready if you are open to other inexpensive brands.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...-reference-list.805930/page-659#post-14207589

I have never heard an iSine
ISine is very open sounding. People complain without cipher cable, buy tips make a difference. Silicone are horrible for it, IMO. Those are my go to. Every so often I'd prefer a closed back, so then I'd grab the ZSR or whatever, but it wouldn't be often. May want to run with them, etc, so under $100 would be ideal. I run with an external DAC/amp so no I don't just want "anything". I want relarivrel good sound.

Apr 29, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #31,617 of 63,916
ISine is very open sounding. People complain without cipher cable, buy tips make a difference. Silicone are horrible for it, IMO. Those are my go to. Every so often I'd prefer a closed back, so then I'd grab the ZSR or whatever, but it wouldn't be often. May want to run with them, etc, so under $100 would be ideal. I run with an external DAC/amp so no I don't just want "anything". I want relarivrel good sound.

There are so many choices for good to excellent sound. That was why I suggested the Hidden Gems thread. Like you, I do use good sources.

You need to hear from other runners. I don't run anymore and when I did I was alone with my thoughts... tried a few times with a Koss Porta Pro and found it annoying. For runs over 4 or 5 miles I usually ran with someone... so no need for music. Different times. My music was in the house ... Hi Fi system.

Apr 29, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #31,618 of 63,916
@Devodonaldson what about the new KZ ES4? Looks interesting but no reviews yet. You could be one of the early adopters. Looks like it would be more comfortable for running than than the largers models.

If I did not have so many IEMs (afraid to count them but they are all in my list) I would be tempted.
I am waiting for the purple KZ YZ40 to be released, but no rush.

10104483.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back