Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 19, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #31,022 of 64,175
Welcome to a fine hobby. You will be going through a learning curve that helps you define your listening preferences. And you already started with a very polarizing earphone, the ZS6 with its prominent treble. I recommend starting with iems that are generally loved - a list upon request.

My rule of thumb: the best earphone is many earphones...at least initially.

And yes, the KZ HDS1 and HDS3 as well as the KZ EDR1 and EDR2 are all good earphones...and all of them together cost you a total of $20.

Actually i have started from Hi fi but not head fi. My experience in head fi is very narrow. In chifi is absolutely zero. But more and more i realize that head fi could be no less or even more interesting hobby and much less costing - with chifi especially. More possibilities to try also. I guess few from the loved models i see in your underlined signature :) Mostly from chi fi... From KZ , are they really making listenable earphones for such money as EDR example - i still can't understand this. My relatively cheap speaker system wires cost alone as all popular KZ phones combined. This is only example...

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #31,023 of 64,175
Hi all,

Recently got a pair of ZS3's and really like them so far. One of the cables it came with was kinda ripped though so it doesn't stay in my ear nearly as well as the other (undamaged) cord. Figure I might as well get a cord replacement to remedy this. Was going to get the standard silver cable that everyone recommends (these, right?) but was wondering...is there a good Bluetooth cable alternative? I've seen them on Amazon but was curious if they're any good. Silver cable or Bluetooth? Interested in the Bluetooth for general convenience and running.

Thanks.

Edit: I'm also wondering if the ZS3's aren't staying in as well due to the poor fit of the ear tips. Tried all 3 sizes that came with the ZS3's and (with virtually all of them) I'll get a great fit initially but then they slowly pop out a bit resulting in a noticeable difference in sound. This is my first pair of quality IEMs and as such don't have any other ear tips I can try out. I know it's hard to make a recommendation and that probably trial-and-error is the best way for me to find a tip that fits me well but...can anyone recommend an ear tip that typically provides a pretty good fit (for most users) that won't break the bank?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #31,024 of 64,175
After Three Days With The KZ ZS10...Yet Another Zombie Earphone From KZ
...and using it over extended periods of time with different equipment...

How can it be characterized...everything in the following is my opinion and therefore subjective: The ZS10 has very good resolution, a thick lower end and recessed mids with fine treble.

How does it compare to other recent KZ multidrivers: the ZS10 is essentially a marginally better resolving ZSR with a similar bass but more distant mids and no sibilance or overdone treble. It has a thicker bass compared to the ZS5 v1 but similarly recessed mids, albeit not hollow or nasal sounding. And, just like the ZSR, the ZS10 bear little resemble to the more analytical ZS6.

These statements are testable! Your turn...

My overall verdict: Nothing special!

Who needs the ZS10: Anybody who likes the design/looks, collects KZ iems, is half deaf, and who doesn't own all the latest KZs. If you have the ZSR, you should at least catch a few more reviews and educated opinions before spending your money.

Other opinions: I have only read the glaring review at the phonograph.net. They don't state their source (forgive me if I can't find it), between the lines you read that they use a FiiO E12 Montblanc amp...which makes for a different listening experience compared to a phone alone (I have this amp, too). Their review is full of emotion (hype, praise) from the beginning, that is the observation part...which is not acceptable. Considering all the ads on their site, I suspect they have a conflict of interest. According to the phonograph, the ZS10 is the best thing since the slice of bread. I would be cautious.

Why am I so critical: KZ has been baiting us suckers with tons of recent new earphones by increasing the number of drivers as buying incentive. I have all of them. Bottom line is that the number of their Bellsing drivers is is not correlated with listening pleasure. Many of us will prefer the tonality of the "lower-end" ZSR.

Why won't the ZS10 be my daily drivers: the combination of thick bass and thin mids is not appealing to my hearing.

What role will the ZS10 have in my collection: it will go into my big graveyard of half-baked KZ multidrivers as another zombie earphone (KS3, ZST, ES3), as yet another example how KZ didn't see the forest for the trees. Considering that they can't get better mids out of 5 drivers shows me that they still have much thinking to do. In the meantime, I get "more" music out of my single-driver $60 Fidue A65 earphone.

Which KZ earphones do I actually use on a regular basis: ZSR, HDS1/3, EDR1/2...the rest I rather look at and think back what good deals they were.

P.S. A general word on in ear monitors: The Edge of U2 uses a single-driver iem and Beyonce uses a 12-driver iem. Go figure...

Haha, love that Phonograph sticker!

But wait! I wrote the ZS10 off, but it seems like I had a polarity malfunction. Plugged one of the cables in ‘wrong’ now and suddenly, the strange and fake tonality seems to be gone and there is now something I can actually call a soundstage.

The ZS10 adventure continues :p

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #31,025 of 64,175
Apr 19, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #31,028 of 64,175
I did not do it on purpose...but I've lost my second commuting KZ5v2. Will definitely not bring out the IT01 with my habbit of losing IEMs (might have been stolen!!! Them bastards!).
Hesitating betweeen a new ZS5 that I like for soundstage and good response to EQ in the bass department (that could hold its candle against my IT01 outdoors), or the ZS6, ZSR or ZS10. I'l surprised the KZ6 is still so pricey.

There's a special ZS10 on KZ's aliexpress store where they give away a EDR1 too!

EDIT: ****! I've found them in my other jacket. :triportsad:

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #31,029 of 64,175
Speaking of removing stupid lettering… Has anyone been successful removing the lettering from the ZSR?

You don’t like upside down lettering on your IEMs?

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #31,033 of 64,175
It is the recessed mids in combination with a thick bass ...the lack of ability to produce presence in the vocals department has been KZ's problem all along (since introducing multidrivers). You'd expect improvement from the additional drivers added from model to model but this quantity turns out to be window dressing and does not translate into quality. KZ keep on creating high expectations and continue not fulfilling them. My patience is coming to an end. Surely, the ZS10 must be the world's worst 5-driver earphone in terms of mids...and the cheapest.

Your partner Vidal is sensitive to bass. I really look forward to his opinion.
It's great to know that ppl finally realise kz sucks. I'm just lucky that my first buy is my last buy , the zs5v1

More ppl should know that cheap is what kz has , be more resourceful look for other iem like t2 , tfz , meme and the likes

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #31,034 of 64,175
It's great to know that ppl finally realise kz sucks. I'm just lucky that my first buy is my last buy , the zs5v1

More ppl should know that cheap is what kz has , be more resourceful look for other iem like t2 , tfz , meme and the likes
It is the recessed mids in combination with a thick bass ...the lack of ability to produce presence in the vocals department has been KZ's problem all along (since introducing multidrivers). You'd expect improvement from the additional drivers added from model to model but this quantity turns out to be window dressing and does not translate into quality. KZ keep on creating high expectations and continue not fulfilling them. My patience is coming to an end. Surely, the ZS10 must be the world's worst 5-driver earphone in terms of mids...and the cheapest.

Your partner Vidal is sensitive to bass. I really look forward to his opinion.

Maybe you got a dud, so yeah their QC aint great, probably more hard then before with additional drivers. I can tell you for sure that my left sides dynamic isn't pumping any bass like my right side. Gotta contact my dealer to see whats up.

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #31,035 of 64,175

Sounds like KZ did you in hard my boy. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back