Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 12, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #23,326 of 63,917
On a completely different note, I'm picking up this tomorrow and am thrilled to have found one - anybody have a clue what it is or who made it? (just wondering if anyone else has the same other hobbies).

Is it a magic pot where you put ZS5 and ZS6 inside and ZS11 comes out with quad DDs and quad BAs per side?? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #23,327 of 63,917
Cable standards are confusing me...

Trying to get some quality cable for the ZS5. Found something like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...ted-Cable-With-0-78mm/119089_32814429955.html

The product title clearly says "For KZ ZS5", but it also says "0.78mm 2 pin connnector".

I'm quite sure KZ uses 0.75mm connectors for ZS5, ZS3 according to older posts of this thread.

Will the AliExpress cable damage ZS5 IEMs?

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #23,328 of 63,917
Well I already have the DM5 which uses almost the same shell so I'd probably go with something different for that reason alone.
23uyjhh.jpg

They are on my radar as well. Not sure if I should get them for 60 bucks though.

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #23,330 of 63,917

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...ted-Cable-With-0-78mm/119089_32814429955.html

The product title clearly says "For KZ ZS5", but it also says "0.78mm 2 pin connnector".

I'm quite sure KZ uses 0.75mm connectors for ZS5, ZS3 according to older posts of this thread.

It will expand the connecting holes and you will have to stick with 0.78mm from then to get a secure fit. That's what I have gathered from reading around so far.

Better to stick to 0.75mm to be safe.

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #23,331 of 63,917
Yup. The in-ear, since it is passive, does not hiss. It's the source's hissing that is made audible by the ZS6.
Does the low impedance rating (15 ohms) have something to do with the hissing sound? Does the hissing sound occurs because the ZS6 is too sensitive because of its low impedance?

Anyway, thanks for all the answers, guys! :D

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #23,332 of 63,917
Does the low impedance rating (15 ohms) have something to do with the hissing sound? Does the hissing sound occurs because the ZS6 is too sensitive because of its low impedance?

Anyway, thanks for all the answers, guys! :D

Basically yes. While impedance is generally not the whole story(as there is sensitivity/mw to consider), the ZS6 are very efficient headphones. Balanced Armatures are generally very sensitive audio devices, and as you've seen from previous pages the ZS6 is a very, very efficient in-ear monitor. The much more expensive Campfire Andromeda has a similar issue - it's so efficient that it'll bring out the normally inaudible noise floor.

You'll need to upgrade your source equipment to get rid of the noise. Not sure what you use but I'm betting it's probably the amplifier that's raising the noise floor the most.

Oct 12, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #23,333 of 63,917
You are right, that's not standard cable that was in the box. I was hoping that this one would be better than stock cable but something is wrong with it. I"ve been testing 3 different cables and this orange is the worst.
You scare me, I have the gray one on a slow boat for my ZS5 v1 and I am expecting different league in comparison with thin ol'SPC....

Oct 12, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #23,334 of 63,917
Oct 12, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #23,335 of 63,917
Frequency response graph of ZS5 when using a coupling caps source (Zishan DSD) -bass roll-off-, a "high" output impedance source (GhostAudio miniA1 amplifier, 15Ω) -harsher highs-, and a source with no coupling caps and output impedance <1Ω:

The Zishan model you are using have 100Ω of output impedance ? I was thinking about buy the Z2 and coupling it with a Topping on the LO, but if it's higher impedance output work well on balancing the highs on the ZS6, it could be better to using it's opamp. Can you try it on the ZS6 ?

Oct 12, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #23,337 of 63,917
Basically yes. While impedance is generally not the whole story(as there is sensitivity/mw to consider), the ZS6 are very efficient headphones. Balanced Armatures are generally very sensitive audio devices, and as you've seen from previous pages the ZS6 is a very, very efficient in-ear monitor. The much more expensive Campfire Andromeda has a similar issue - it's so efficient that it'll bring out the normally inaudible noise floor.

You'll need to upgrade your source equipment to get rid of the noise. Not sure what you use but I'm betting it's probably the amplifier that's raising the noise floor the most.
OK, thanks a lot for the explanation. This is my first balanced armature-dynamic driver hybrid IEM, so I'm kinda new to these stuff. Most IEMs and headphones I have all use dynamic drivers, and the first KZ IEM I've owned is the ZS3. Regarding on sources that I use, I don't hear any hissing on my Superlux HA3D amp, but on my two DAPs (Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip, and an Xduoo X3) I'm hearing constant hissing. I also don't hear any hissing on the headphone jack of my Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X. So, my pair isn't defective at all?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #23,338 of 63,917
That's your opinion. But, I just hate having boosted treble. The "sparkle in the highs" you're talking about is one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to earbuds, especially the cheaper ones from Philips, Sony or Skullcandy. Speaking of which, the Philips SHE3590 has been hyped up to the heavens on head-fi. And they sound just like any other cheap earbud: recessed vocals, boosted shrill treble and to some degree boosted mid-bass. The second I put earphones like these, I immediately frown and throw them away. I am looking for earphones that sound great with indie/rock/punk tunes that otherwise sound unbearable with bright headphones. Someone mentioned the Beatles, they understand me. I also like having a bit of warmth and some meat in the bass. The perfect earphone (IMHO) is the Marshall Mode. But I lost mine, and I can't afford buying $50 earphones every other month. The Kz ED7 are almost as good and dirt cheap. So I'm curious about the ZSE.

In my opinion, it's really good that KZ is releasing laid-back and warm earphones. I am not in the market for yet another gutless "V-shaped" sounding earphone with murder treble. The ED9 is the worst example of this. But some people love it that way. If only they weren't the majority...Because reading reviews across the web, I notice that people are heavily biased towards a "V-shaped" sound profile at the expense of dark & warm sounding headphones which get less attention and fewer positive reviews.

I can understand that there are different iems with different sound characteristics for different audiences. Speaking for myself im certainly not a treblehead and am also a little treble sensitive. Ive always looked for near basshead iems. I bought the zse because of its price and good looking specs but even tho I never miss the highs/clarity on almost every headphone I own I find yet the ZSE to be too boring sounding due to the lack of some top end sparkle. Mids could be great on some tracks but are mostly too dark for me and the bass doesnt set itself apart from the mids and isn't too exciting I think. So in short it might be a nice iem for really treble sensitive people or for people who just look for a very laidback sounding iem but for me there is not much music I would take these over any other Kzs I own...

Oct 12, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #23,339 of 63,917

I own the ES3, ZS3 and ZS5 and the connectors are all the same. I bought the silver upgrade cable for my zs3 and works with both ES3 and ZS5 aswell.

One thing to mention is that the stock cables which comes with the iems all different from each other in looks and in soundquality :xf_eek:

Oct 12, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #23,340 of 63,917
You scare me, I have the gray one on a slow boat for my ZS5 v1 and I am expecting different league in comparison with thin ol'SPC....
This cable must be properly connected otherwise you will get strange effect. The marks "R" and "L" on this transparent plugs are barely visible, at first I did connect the channels correctly and was shocked how poor ZS6 sound and after reading some advice here on this thread I changed the pin orientation and now ZS6 sounds great.
Proper connection should look like this, the mark "L" and "R" should be on the inner side
DSC09955.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back