Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 11, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #23,296 of 63,836
ZS6: sources / impedance adapters, foam

Following @HiFiChris suggestions about using sources with higher output impedance, or impedance adapters (with any source) to tame the excessive treble peaks (without altering other frequencies), I've made some new measurements.

This effect is possible thanks to impedance features of ZS6 (ZS5 & ZS6 impedance curves).
If you try this with ZS5 v1, for example, the effect is just the opposite (harsher upper-mids and treble), due to their impedance characteristics.
Graph of ZS5 and ZS6 frequency response variation when using a higher impedance source (example: GhostAudio miniA1 amplifier, output impedance 15Ω):

Now, the result frequency response of ZS6 when using an impedance adapter of 75Ω on a <1Ω source (with "stetotip" -thick silicone- and with foam tips) compared to same source without adapter, and to ZS5 v1.
(Note: closed sub-bass vent hole in ZS6 measurements; this explains the sub-bass difference with ZS5).

The treble with Z adapter + foam is very near to ZS5 v1 level.
Of course, you'll have to apply more voltage (raise volume pot) to get same sound level than before.

Nice finding. Should be easy to open the ZS6 up and solder in a 75Ω resistor. Then, no adapter needed.

You could also do an adjustable pot, or an externally accessible "socket" for on the fly changes:

DIY IEM resistor.JPG
Super-18.png

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #23,299 of 63,836
On a completely different note, I'm picking up this tomorrow and am thrilled to have found one - anybody have a clue what it is or who made it? (just wondering if anyone else has the same other hobbies).

WW II Surgical Sterilizer made by Coleman. The thing is 10,000 BTU per burner so 40,000 total.

Oct 11, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #23,301 of 63,836
I'd stick with the ifi match - designed specifically for this purpose and warrantied not to hurt your gear. Admittedly, it is more expensive than most.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #23,303 of 63,836
Hi

I actually have the ZSE. Saddly I found them the least exciting earphones I tried from Kz. They sound quite muffled, muddied and somehow a little congested when it comes to certain songs. The also miss some sparkle in the highs. Comfortwise however its realy nice. But yeah its one of the cheapest Kz you can buy and unfortunately the price said it all this time...

That's your opinion. But, I just hate having boosted treble. The "sparkle in the highs" you're talking about is one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to earbuds, especially the cheaper ones from Philips, Sony or Skullcandy. Speaking of which, the Philips SHE3590 has been hyped up to the heavens on head-fi. And they sound just like any other cheap earbud: recessed vocals, boosted shrill treble and to some degree boosted mid-bass. The second I put earphones like these, I immediately frown and throw them away. I am looking for earphones that sound great with indie/rock/punk tunes that otherwise sound unbearable with bright headphones. Someone mentioned the Beatles, they understand me. I also like having a bit of warmth and some meat in the bass. The perfect earphone (IMHO) is the Marshall Mode. But I lost mine, and I can't afford buying $50 earphones every other month. The Kz ED7 are almost as good and dirt cheap. So I'm curious about the ZSE.

In my opinion, it's really good that KZ is releasing laid-back and warm earphones. I am not in the market for yet another gutless "V-shaped" sounding earphone with murder treble. The ED9 is the worst example of this. But some people love it that way. If only they weren't the majority...Because reading reviews across the web, I notice that people are heavily biased towards a "V-shaped" sound profile at the expense of dark & warm sounding headphones which get less attention and fewer positive reviews.

Oct 11, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #23,304 of 63,836
That's your opinion. But, I just hate having boosted treble. The "sparkle in the highs" you're talking about is one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to earbuds, especially the cheaper ones from Philips, Sony or Skullcandy. Speaking of which, the Philips SHE3590 has been hyped up to the heavens on head-fi. And they sound just like any other cheap earbud: recessed vocals, boosted shrill treble and to some degree boosted mid-bass. The second I put earphones like these, I immediately frown and throw them away. I am looking for earphones that sound great with indie/rock/punk tunes that otherwise sound unbearable with bright headphones. Someone mentioned the Beatles, they understand me. I also like having a bit of warmth and some meat in the bass. The perfect earphone (IMHO) is the Marshall Mode. But I lost mine, and I can't afford buying $50 earphones every other month. The Kz ED7 are almost as good and dirt cheap. So I'm curious about the ZSE.

In my opinion, it's really good that KZ is releasing laid-back and warm earphones. I am not in the market for yet another gutless "V-shaped" sounding earphone with murder treble. The ED9 is the worst example of this. But some people love it that way. If only they weren't the majority...Because reading reviews across the web, I notice that people are heavily biased towards a "V-shaped" sound profile at the expense of dark & warm sounding headphones which get less attention and fewer positive reviews.
Yeah Man... . I turn up the bass and treble in my old Yukon as well. Sorry you don't like the ole v shape sound. :call_me:

Oct 11, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #23,305 of 63,836
@hakuzen the original mvp

Did you use the same device to measure it like hifichris ?
yep, i use the same soundcard (ADC, E-MU 0404 USB) for every measure, and the same chi-pro rig for every iem measure. obviously, i've used different sources as output in my last graphs, but the same output gear for normal iem measures.
My rig evolution

but they are not like hificris': we use different rigs (different sources, adc, coupler, and mic).

Oct 11, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #23,306 of 63,836
Better than zs56 right ?

Not sure on the DM5 but if they are 75% of the K3 they are still well above the Zs5/6. The K3 is amongst the best in ears I have had the chance to try in the under $250 range. I've wanted to get ahold of the LZ A4 to compare against the K3 since I think they should be on a similar level.

Oct 11, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #23,307 of 63,836
btw, received the new grey silver plated ofc cable. it looks thicker coated; together with the coat color, you won't see oxidization :p
quite soft and flexible.
DC resistance: ~69Ω (like usual silver plated copper cable, but higher than the 6 cores + metallic plugs or the usual silver plated cable for zst i got from ali time ago)

Oct 11, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #23,308 of 63,836
btw, received the new grey silver plated ofc cable. it looks thicker coated; together with the coat color, you won't see oxidization :p
quite soft and flexible.
DC resistance: ~69Ω (like usual silver plated copper cable, but higher than the 6 cores + metallic plugs or the usual silver plated cable for zst i got from ali time ago)
This one ? I also receive it myself, have you try it on the ZS6 ? I still have a lot to wait for mine pair...

Oct 11, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #23,309 of 63,836
I'd stick with the ifi match - designed specifically for this purpose and warrantied not to hurt your gear. Admittedly, it is more expensive than most.
The IEMatch output impedance is 1.0 (ultra) or 2.5 (high) - the whole point of it is a non-coloring attenuator.
(and the Ear Buddy is ~1.5)

The whole point of what they're talking about is to add ~75 ohms of serial resistance - a very coloring attenuation :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back