Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 10, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #23,176 of 63,836
Impedance (and phase) curves of ZS5 v1 and ZS6.

Note that ZS5 v1 impedance at 1kHz is 4.8Ω! (ZS6 is ~14.5Ω).

ZS5 & ZS6:
ZS5-ZS6_Z.png

ZS5:
ZS5_Z&P.png

ZS6:
ZS6_Z&P.png

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #23,177 of 63,836
Knowles' line of full range single BAs might surprise you.

I think the issue is more that it's both difficult to produce full range BAs with good response across the entire spectrum, and difficult to tune BAs in general due to their physical size.
The red curve looks nice. Why is the red one split into two curves at 8khz

Oct 10, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #23,181 of 63,836
Impedance (and phase) curves of ZS5 v1 and ZS6.

Note that ZS5 v1 impedance at 1kHz is 4.8Ω! (ZS6 is ~14.5Ω).

ZS5 & ZS6:

ZS5:

ZS6:
I wonder if the opposing phase shift directions have something to do with the widely variant soundstage comparisons :thinking: :shrug:

And wow, that's some disturbingly low impedance...

Oct 10, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #23,182 of 63,836
From what I've noticed, the ranking is pretty individual, some seem to love the ZSE most, others the 3, 5 v1, 5 v2, the 6.

I've only heard the ZS5 v1 and the ZS6 but I am actually annoyed to admit that I'm spending more time with them now than my Pinnacle P1 or 1More Quad.

Give it time, you're still in the honeymoon period

Oct 10, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #23,185 of 63,836
I've only heard the ZS5 v1 and the ZS6 but I am actually annoyed to admit that I'm spending more time with them now than my Pinnacle P1 or 1More Quad.

Can You please share more in-depth comparison between them all, please?

Btw, guys, too much offtopic on last pages. Came here to read about latest ZS6 impressions but instead been reading last 3 pages about 1BAvsDDvshybridvsmultiBA etc.
....kinda wastes my time.

Oct 10, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #23,186 of 63,836
Does it mean the ZS6 crossover doesn't work beyond 5kHz? The Curve is strange there.

I wouldn't suspect that the waveform above 5K relates to a crossover working or not working. I'd say there's probably a crossover right below ~5K and the hi-frequency driver (or drivers, assuming they may be using 2 of the same) that take over at that point have that characteristic. It would be pretty strange for it to be a crossover that has a slope across a huge frequency range at the top of the unit's response.

Has anyone ascertained if this is a 3 way or 4 way system? Or in fact it could be a 2 way, with both of the low frequency drivers in parallel crossed over to the two high frequency BA's.

Oct 10, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #23,187 of 63,836
The red curve looks nice.

That is what I have been trying to say. The fact that it is difficult to make a good Full range BA doesn't mean it is impossible and it would prove KZ manufacturing prowess in the BA world could compete with the big boys. Yes, there are good single BA earphones, no there are not as many as other configurations because it is not an easy thing to do. Shure, Klipsch, Etymotics, and Final Audio all have single BAs in their lineups and I'm pretty sure one of the Campfire models that the Zs6 is based on is a single BA as well.

Oct 10, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #23,188 of 63,836
That is what I have been trying to say. The fact that it is difficult to make a good Full range BA doesn't mean it is impossible and it would prove KZ manufacturing prowess in the BA world could compete with the big boys. Yes, there are good single BA earphones, no there are not as many as other configurations because it is not an easy thing to do. Shure, Klipsch, Etymotics, and Final Audio all have single BAs in their lineups and I'm pretty sure one of the Campfire models that the Zs6 is based on is a single BA as well.

The Campfire Audio Andromeda that the ZS6 and SZ5 are 'based on' are five driver, including dual HF BA:

Dual High Frequency Balanced Armature Drivers + T.A.E.C.

Single Mid Frequency Balanced Armature Driver

Dual Low Frequency Balanced Armature Drivers

Oct 10, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #23,189 of 63,836

Maybe it’s limited by the quality of their house BA. As compared to the bigger boys

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #23,190 of 63,836
I have a different setup for my P-1's but use them as much as my ZS6 and ZST's:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back