Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 15, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #12,827 of 63,836
So guys, hard decision. Getting rid of most of my kzs. Experiencing what spending twice a KZ can give you in the vivo 800 I have no reason as a student to have many inferior earphones. I keep a few. ATR & ZS3 sound almost the same though i like the ZS3's fit more. I keep the hds1 too which I rediscovered, shame they are no $4 anymore. Seems they're not made anymore or so. With the Monoprices and vivo I have no reason to keep the ed9.

If KZ comes with anything nice again I'll sure try it though!! I'm staying on the ship :)

Oct 15, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #12,828 of 63,836
So guys, hard decision. Getting rid of most of my kzs. Experiencing what spending twice a KZ can give you in the vivo 800 I have no reason as a student to have many inferior earphones. I keep a few. ATR & ZS3 sound almost the same though i like the ZS3's fit more. I keep the hds1 too which I rediscovered, shame they are no $4 anymore. Seems they're not made anymore or so. With the Monoprices and vivo I have no reason to keep the ed9.

If KZ comes with anything nice again I'll sure try it though!! I'm staying on the ship
smily_headphones1.gif

Far as I know they are still making the HDS1. I just got some in 3 days ago :)

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #12,829 of 63,836
I've been following KZ for a while. I liked some of their models but the resemblance with other popular brands made me question whether I wanted to sport a very similar model or trust on a chinese unknown company. Vsonic had my back at the time and I'm still very happy with the sound they provide.
Funny thing: I don't believe in cables but almost all my IEMs have detachable cables, and firmly believe every manufacturer should follow the trend. 

I got the ZS3 and the ZST last week. Both are surprisingly comfortable (at least to my medium size ears) and they look distinctive enough to develop brand identity.

Short review:
The Bass on the ZST is clearly more detailed and wins by a gross margin, the treble overall is more spacious but very subdue, voices are too distant. The sound signature is not my favorite but it's not offensive or difficult to get used to. They definitely look like CIEMs if you care about looks.

The ZS3 has a more interesting sound signature, but sound a bit flat in comparison. Tonality wise they are more natural than the ZST, the form factor looks and feels more comfortable. For everyday use, I might certainly go with the zs3. I believe they are a steal from GB, I'm planning to buy at least one more and keep it as a gift. 

I'm eager to see what the future holds for KZ. 

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #12,833 of 63,836
Somewhere on Head-Fi and maybe this thread I read about a tip modification. The paragraph I read is a little blurry in memory but I will attempt to explain what the mod was about. ??

This only works with IEMs with giant nozzles like the ATE.

You take a small or medium small tip and place it backwards then put a regular larger tip on and it goes over the small tip and seals.

At first it would not work until I cut almost the entire inner tube off the small IEM tip. Then it went on leaving enough room for the larger tip to go on in regular fashion.

What it does.

It gets you a silicone tip to start to have the outward support pressure of a foam tip. The inner reversed tip pushes out right at the apex, but under the apex area which comes into contact with your ear canal.

I wish I knew which member came up with this because I would like to thank them. It's pure genius and has completely changed the ATE experience for me. Still I liked it before but now,..........,,,,,I'm in tears.:joy:

What it looks like like.

The clean one cut with a ceramic knife, the other scissors.

Oct 17, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #12,834 of 63,836
The ATE S scales much better than the ATE. Unless you listen to mp3/4 or 16/44 the difference is not so obvious (except that the ATE S has improved bass performance), but once you come into High Res territory, the ATE S still shines while the limitations of the ATE are clearly audible, especially in the highs.

Oct 17, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #12,835 of 63,836
The ATE S scales much better than the ATE. Unless you listen to mp3/4 or 16/44 the difference is not so obvious (except that the ATE S has improved bass performance), but once you come into High Res territory, the ATE S still shines while the limitations of the ATE are clearly audible, especially in the highs.

I'm glad that you like the ateS but it won't sound different between 44k or high res IF the master is the same which most of the time it isn't, so you're not hearing higher resolution, just another tweaked master. I even wonder if the kzs are even able to reproduce sound above 16khz, let alone above 22 which is high res, not to speak about your ears not able to hear anything above 18k or so....

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #12,836 of 63,836
Guys, i received my kz zs 3 at the weekend and after 10-20 hrs of burn in I have to say, they are bass shy for me. Coming from rock zircons, house trance trap hardstyle etc listener here. The main problem is the lack of nozzle at the end of the bore, so all my real wide bore tips just slip off, what a pity!! So edm fans... It's not the most suitable iem for some of us. Have to admit, it has lot better mids than zircons, but I eq up the bass even on zircons, so... Haha :D maybe I'm too bass hungry :)

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #12,837 of 63,836
Guys, i received my kz zs 3 at the weekend and after 10-20 hrs of burn in I have to say, they are bass shy for me. Coming from rock zircons, house trance trap hardstyle etc listener here. The main problem is the lack of nozzle at the end of the bore, so all my real wide bore tips just slip off, what a pity!! So edm fans... It's not the most suitable iem for some of us. Have to admit, it has lot better mids than zircons, but I eq up the bass even on zircons, so... Haha
biggrin.gif
maybe I'm too bass hungry
smily_headphones1.gif

Try Tennmak Dulcimer or Banjo, they're a lot more bassy than the ATE

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #12,840 of 63,836

Try Tennmak Dulcimer or Banjo, they're a lot more bassy than the ATE

Tennmak Pro maybe? It looks soo nice and has replacable cable. Im a bit rough on my iems, my second pair of zircons died on me in 2-3 months :frowning2: (tho having NO strain relief at the plug is plain nonsense..)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back