Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 30, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #7,111 of 64,190
OK things I've read about the ZN1 & ZS1~

ZN1 may have the channels wired reversed (deal killer for me)
ZN1 has a lot of noise while using amp (also a deal killer)
ZN1 does not work with some equipment in passive mode (I listen to cd's not ripped files)
ZN1 wiring is not logical for wearing them around (not an issue as I'm always sitting??)

ZS1 is still not available 
ZS1 lacks bass
ZS1 does not sound like ZN1 in passive mode
ZS1 may have channels wired in reverse

Please advise...

The Zn1's I have are wired correctly left to right and without imbalance.
Second this is the first I've heard about an issue with noise ( microphonics? Feedback?) Both J haven't experienced.
Third I always listen in amped/eq mode but always turn on phones second after player ( not sure why just do) and there is always music. The source equipment I typically use are, Fiio x3 gen 2, Xduoo x2, Creative Zen II gps and an Asus Zenpad 8 with dts hd sound. No issues with any.
Fourth, the wonderful placememt of the amp/eq. Not an issue sitting and once you figure a method to attach a reasonable shirt clip it nor much of a problem but not suitible for heavier exercise but most anything else.
My Sn1 order is still a couple weeks out so do have feedback there for you.
In regards to the Zn1's I ordered my pair early and have had them for quite awhile so if there is an issue with different batches ( QC problems ?) I don't know. The biggest thing of note is the Zn1's have the longest burn in of any iems I've owned with the greatest change. If the drivers etc are the same for the Sn1's it's something to bear in mind. A final point, I have purchased duplicates of Kz's I like well enough to have a backup. The Ed9, Ate and the Zn1'.. Hope this helps.

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #7,112 of 64,190
Hey guys, just wanted to check in and share some impressions of the new KZ lineup.

KZ HDS1- Probably my favorite KZ to date. Best way to summarize it is to say it's a sleeker and better fitting KZ ED9. Balanced and entertaining sound for the price of a happy meal. Don't doubt it, be all about it!

KZ-ED3 (micro driver) - I'm not sure if this is the same earphone as the old ed3. I haven't had time to compare or make graphs on them. I will say it has similarities to the HDS1. Warm tilted midrange and tuning that is hard to fault. I did notice the new ed3 cable is slightly beefier than the HDS1.

KZ ZN1- After getting scammed by Aliexpress (turns out a particular seller sent me a pre-production sample) I finally received a genuine pair that functions much better than my initial impressions. It is definitely a unique approach to earphones. I find it fun to use the amplifier to adjust the bass and treble settings and can adjust them easily depending on what genre of music I'm listening to. The biggest drawback is the weight that the inline amplifier puts on the cable. It makes wearing them feel awkward.

KZ ZS1-I think this is going to be a big winner for those who find the treble of the ED9 treble to be too emphasised. They are a warm and bassy sounding earphone with excellent dynamics. These will work fabulously with modern genres of music. I really like the fitment and styling of them. The memory wire works well in combination with the housing shape (and I usually despise memory wire)

If you guys have any questions about the new models, or graphs, I'll do my best to help you out.

Dude, I'm not only a fan boy, I'm also a voluntary spokesman!i wouldn't do it if I didn't think KZ is one of the best deals in headphones!

KZ rocks!

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #7,113 of 64,190
Hey guys, just wanted to check in and share some impressions of the new KZ lineup.

KZ HDS1- Probably my favorite KZ to date. Best way to summarize it is to say it's a sleeker and better fitting KZ ED9. Balanced and entertaining sound for the price of a happy meal. Don't doubt it, be all about it!

KZ-ED3 (micro driver) - I'm not sure if this is the same earphone as the old ed3. I haven't had time to compare or make graphs on them. I will say it has similarities to the HDS1. Warm tilted midrange and tuning that is hard to fault. I did notice the new ed3 cable is slightly beefier than the HDS1.

KZ ZN1- After getting scammed by Aliexpress (turns out a particular seller sent me a pre-production sample) I finally received a genuine pair that functions much better than my initial impressions. It is definitely a unique approach to earphones. I find it fun to use the amplifier to adjust the bass and treble settings and can adjust them easily depending on what genre of music I'm listening to. The biggest drawback is the weight that the inline amplifier puts on the cable. It makes wearing them feel awkward.

KZ ZS1-I think this is going to be a big winner for those who find the treble of the ED9 treble to be too emphasised. They are a warm and bassy sounding earphone with excellent dynamics. These will work fabulously with modern genres of music. I really like the fitment and styling of them. The memory wire works well in combination with the housing shape (and I usually despise memory wire)

If you guys have any questions about the new models, or graphs, I'll do my best to help you out.

Dude, I'm not only a fan boy, I'm also a voluntary spokesman!i wouldn't do it if I didn't think KZ is one of the best deals in headphones!

KZ rocks!

Glad you got the issue with the Zn1's sorted, I think they're an exceptional Iem.
Since you have both the Zn1's and Sn1's I have a couple questions if you don't mind. I was wondering if you could duplicate the sound signature of the Sn1's with Zn1's and what those setting ended up being. I have the Zn1's and the Sn1's on order but seemed like it would give me pretty clear idea of what the Sn1's will sound like. Second did your Sn1's come with the same accessories as the Zn1's? Somehow the memory wire on the Sn1's slipped by me, they're always a mixed blessing but sounds if if that to will be fine. Thanks in advance.

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #7,115 of 64,190

Still trying to find out how big the soundstage is on the HDS1 compared to other KZ's like the ATE and ED9.  The old ED3 was also on my radar, but that's one of the ones I read has an "intimate" soundstage.

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #7,116 of 64,190
@Hisoundfi Great impressions! I'm really looking forward to the arrival of my HDS1, the revised ED3 2015, and ZS1. The ED3 is one of my fav KZs, so if they just refined that same sound signature I would be thrilled.

I reviewed the HDS1 on my new site: http://audiobudget.iagucool.com/product.php?brand=KZ&id=HDS1
In short, they are pretty poor.
As you can see on that site, I've just started writing the reviews, I still have more than 20 earphones in my drawer to write their reviews, and about 24 earphones are yet to arrive.

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #7,117 of 64,190
  I reviewed the HDS1 on my new site: http://audiobudget.iagucool.com/product.php?brand=KZ&id=HDS1
In short, they are pretty poor.
As you can see on that site, I've just started writing the reviews, I still have more than 20 earphones in my drawer to write their reviews, and about 24 earphones are yet to arrive.

Igor, just went through your review. I see you found the sound volume levels too low..  I may be wrong, but i'm wondering if there was some kind of a quality issue with your HDS1? i dont own one, but other initial impression seemed promising (IEM)

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #7,118 of 64,190

Igor, just went through your review. I see you found the sound volume levels too low..  I'm may be wrong, but i'm wondering if there was some kind of a quality issue with your HDS1? i dont own one, but other initial impression seemed promising (IEM)

You're right, I'm not sure what happened the last time I tested them, even though I tested on my phone and my PC (has a sound card with headphone amplifier). They are actually extremely good. I'll have to rewrite the review from scratch.
They are very very good actually. Amazing punchy bass and precise mids. I'll fix that soon enough.

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #7,120 of 64,190
  ****!
I've noticed that the highs on my ED9 are quite harsh and I don't like it
So far the ED9's have really failed to impress me
I need to find a better seal

They need some time to settle but imo they are also "on the edge" of harsh (I`m sensitive to treble). If You don`t have ATE, then get it :wink:

Btw, got JVC spiral dot tips (smallest size) and they are very very good tips for ATE and ED9, one of the top-3 tips I have out of my collection (17 different tips).

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #7,121 of 64,190
  They need some time to settle but imo they are also "on the edge" of harsh (I`m sensitive to treble). If You don`t have ATE, then get it :wink:

Btw, got JVC spiral dot tips (smallest size) and they are very very good tips for ATE and ED9, one of the top-3 tips I have out of my collection (17 different tips).

Yeah I have ATE
I'll check them out

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #7,122 of 64,190

Dude from what I've seen you can only get those tips from Japan :p

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #7,123 of 64,190
  ****!
I've noticed that the highs on my ED9 are quite harsh and I don't like it
So far the ED9's have really failed to impress me
I need to find a better seal

Are you using gold or matt brass nozzle ?

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #7,124 of 64,190

You're right, I'm not sure what happened the last time I tested them, even though I tested on my phone and my PC (has a sound card with headphone amplifier). They are actually extremely good. I'll have to rewrite the review from scratch.
They are very very good actually. Amazing punchy bass and precise mids. I'll fix that soon enough.

haha.. So there you go, one more happy HDS1 owner.. cheers 
beerchug.gif

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #7,125 of 64,190
I was wondering what if any "burn in" any of you do with your Kz. And with or with out which Kz's benefit from usage and how much. I haven't been doing this, but found a marked difference over time with my Zn1's. My only other experience with a huge inprovememt was with a set hybrids. I hear this can be a touchy subject but would br interested in your views specific to a particular Kz model. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back