Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 29, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #7,096 of 64,394
Cant wait to hear more!

Me too. Although I have already ordered a set, of course it will be mid to late November before they're here. But I'd really like to know what they sound like. I waited till they dropped to $18 before I grabbed a set, so I'm late to the game.

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #7,097 of 64,394

ray & podster, when You talk about ED9, compared to which nozzles being used?

I personally prefer the gold filters as they are a little brighter on the top side and have a clearer bass but that is my ears and we all know everyone hears it differently at least to some degree. For me you can almost hear a heavy hum with the brass filter which once again for me brings the bass forward and makes it the commanding signature.

Clearer bass with gold nozzles? I don`t think so
rolleyes.gif
 Brighter top side - agree on that because with gold nozzles they have V-shaped signature.
No hum with any of my ED9 pairs I have with brass filters and nor does it bring bass foward to my ears. 
Guess we have different hearing, gear, taste, signature preference etc.

Just a reminder for everybody. Different folks, different strokes. HDS1 has different signature from ANV & ATE... more similar to ED9, ED10... but... it doesn`t mean it`s The Best KZ IEM 
wink.gif

How's the HDS1 soundstage size compared to ATE and whichever others?  I was going to try a couple less popular KZ models until reading their ss is "intimate" compared to ATE. 

Yinjw wooden "IE800" 2014 open-back grills version but it has littlebit elevated bass in stock when not modded but not like basshead-IEM, still very enjoyable open pleasant signature.
Out of KZ family, ATE and ANV followed by little gap with ED9 and ED10 have largest soundstage and "out of headstage" great layered imaging, IMSO. Haven`t heard HDS1 yet though, don`t bother to order it, been enjoying WOM-mod Yinjw much over all KZ`s I have, even FF-mod ATE (which is very very good but has little lack with cymbals presentation).

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #7,099 of 64,394
@CoiL
"Clearer bass with gold nozzles? I don`t think so
rolleyes.gif
 Brighter top side - agree on that because with gold nozzles they have V-shaped signature.
No hum with any of my ED9 pairs I have with brass filters and nor does it bring bass forward to my ears. 
Guess we have different hearing, gear, taste, signature preference etc."

I agree 100% Coil, I've always thought the main thing was we liked what we have and play it on what sounds best to us (our ears). I respect what you hear and how you hear it and that we can both hear things differently
bigsmile_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #7,100 of 64,394
  I ordered the Ate, ED9 and a small case to keep one in from AliExpress a week or two ago
I've checked the tracking loads and it says that they arrived in England 3 days ago BUT I HAVEN'T GOT THEMMMM!!!

It is of my belief that the actual recordings times (hours, minutes, dates, etc.) from AliEx are not real time by any means
wink_face.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #7,101 of 64,394
@CoiL
"Clearer bass with gold nozzles? I don`t think so:rolleyes:  Brighter top side - agree on that because with gold nozzles they have V-shaped signature.
No hum with any of my ED9 pairs I have with brass filters and nor does it bring bass forward to my ears. 
Guess we have different hearing, gear, taste, signature preference etc."

I agree 100% Coil, I've always thought the main thing was we liked what we have and play it on what sounds best to us (our ears). I respect what you hear and how you hear it and that we can both hear things differently:bigsmile_face:

:beerchug:
I couldn't agree more. That's what makes us unique as individuals. What appeals to one may now be another's cup of tea. What's even nicer is that we can disagree but still be gentleman about it.

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #7,102 of 64,394
Well guys
Got a little problem here
My Ed9 and Ate did come today (my neighbour had them)
I've been listening to them both and have found a decent seal.
I just looked inside my ED9 and the right earphone hasn't got the little gauze type thing inside when you take off the filter (gold and brass) (the left side has it)
I'm not sure what to do as I hadn't noticed any sound difference and I dont really want to send them back.
Will it affect the sound in any way? Or anything at all?

Need helpppp

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #7,103 of 64,394
Well guys
I just looked inside my ED9 and the right earphone hasn't got the little gauze type thing inside when you take off the filter (gold and brass) (the left side has it)
I'm not sure what to do as I hadn't noticed any sound difference and I dont really want to send them back.

Need helpppp

I think you'll be fine. I have a pair with the mesh and a pair without and they sound the same. Kind of a major oversight though...

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #7,104 of 64,394
Well guys

Need helpppp

oh no... that thing is '' air barrier '' it makes sound clear by reducing incoming air pump from subwoofer.

Oct 29, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #7,105 of 64,394
Well guys

Need helpppp

I'd call that a driver screen. Probably should be there at least to protect the driver and defuse the sound a bit.

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #7,107 of 64,394
  I'd call that a driver screen. Probably should be there at least to protect the driver and defuse the sound a bit.

Guess I need to read up on the KZ lineup more, here I thought the screens were for keeping foreign debris (dust, dirt and the ever present ear wax) out of their iem
blink.gif
I had know idea they were for anything to do with sound of the iem
confused_face.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #7,108 of 64,394
hi guys are zs1 and zn1 headphones using the same audio driver?
That's the impression I've gotten , but haven't seen it stated out right. All things concidered I believe so. I hope so the driver combination in the Zn1's is very well matched, the bass notes are present but bleed into or color the mid range. The high's don't get lost or over power. They are nicely balanced. The only concern is with the amp/eq in passive mode (off) the bass is prominent.

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #7,109 of 64,394
OK things I've read about the ZN1 & ZS1~

ZN1 may have the channels wired reversed (deal killer for me)
ZN1 has a lot of noise while using amp (also a deal killer)
ZN1 does not work with some equipment in passive mode (I listen to cd's not ripped files)
ZN1 wiring is not logical for wearing them around (not an issue as I'm always sitting??)

ZS1 is still not available 
ZS1 lacks bass
ZS1 does not sound like ZN1 in passive mode
ZS1 may have channels wired in reverse

Please advise...

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #7,110 of 64,394

Guess I need to read up on the KZ lineup more, here I thought the screens were for keeping foreign debris (dust, dirt and the ever present ear wax) out of their iem
blink.gif
I had know idea they were for anything to do with sound of the iem
confused_face.gif

You are prob right but I'm thinking along with protecting the driver maybe it would defuse some of the higher frequencies like driver screens on tweeters???

Any tech guys want to chime in?

btw I checked and both my ED9's have screens...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back