Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 6, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #28,877 of 64,004
sure your buddy would do a perfect job about that.
pity you don't appreciate my fr measurements of zs5v1 with 3 different sources (the link is immediately above your post): <1Ω, <1Ω+coupling caps, 15Ω (near +5dB harsher @ 11kHz).
zs5 source dependency: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1553#post-13777918
i'm tired of re-posting these measurements, and it's even stupid to do it.. people read what they want to read..

Sorry, missed your posts. Thanks for pointing us tp them. No need to measure.

Update: excellent, very useful work. Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #28,879 of 64,004
fr measurements of zs5v1 with 3 different sources (the link is immediately above your post): <1Ω, <1Ω+coupling caps, 15Ω (near +5dB harsher @ 11kHz).
zs5 source dependency: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1553#post-13777918

I'm familiar with your posts and I'm taking the oportunity to thank you again for all your hard work.

Do you care to elaborate a bit and explain the reasoning for high impedance output source in ZS5's case would more likely alter treble (and also bass but to a lesser extent)?

Can it be the effect of distortion from an sub-unity damping factor because it seems counterintuitive to me (and inconsistent with some user reports) as treble should be more stable in my opinion.

Regarding ZS6 I remember one of the users reporting terrible SQ loss when trying to tame the highs with various impedance adapters.
Haven't seen many reports from real-life users of this scenario though.

There's something more at play here or maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.

Mar 6, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #28,881 of 64,004
guys how can I improve the bass of kz zs6 anyone have some suggestion for tips I cant get a good seal with kz zs6 thanks
The included "starline" tips are actually quite good and highly appreciated here - I just ordered some more from aliexpress. You will have to find out for yourself whether you like comply foam tips. I personally do not, and many others don't either.

Did you, as a first step, play with the different sizes of the included tips? Do you have any other earphones the tips of which you can try out on our ZS6?

If there is a problem with the included tips, what is it?

Mar 6, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #28,882 of 64,004
I tryed many tips for kz zs6 but only foam tips helps but other tips I dont get bass with it I am driving the kz zs6 from a smartphone... compared with kz es3.. the kz es3 got a lot bass with equalizer but with kz zs6 its very on the weak side...

Mar 6, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #28,883 of 64,004
I tryed many tips for kz zs6 but only foam tips helps but other tips I dont get bass with it I am driving the kz zs6 from a smartphone... compared with kz es3.. the kz es3 got a lot bass with equalizer but with kz zs6 its very on the weak side...
Same problem. I use QKZs foam tips. But still can't get enough bass from the zs6. Bass is not a best side of the zs6. But in everything else - they rock.

Mar 6, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #28,884 of 64,004
I'm familiar with your posts and I'm taking the oportunity to thank you again for all your hard work.

Do you care to elaborate a bit and explain the reasoning for high impedance output source in ZS5's case would more likely alter treble (and also bass but to a lesser extent)?

Can it be the effect of distortion from an sub-unity damping factor because it seems counterintuitive to me (and inconsistent with some user reports) as treble should be more stable in my opinion.

Regarding ZS6 I remember one of the users reporting terrible SQ loss when trying to tame the highs with various impedance adapters.
Haven't seen many reports from real-life users of this scenario though.

There's something more at play here or maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.
high impedance output source alter treble due to its interaction with zs5v1 impedance, particularly with their BAs' impedance (treble). bass alteration is minimal in comparison, because the impedance of the dynamic driver is flat (the big bass roll-off in the graphs, are due to the source's tiny output coupling caps, not due to its output impedance, which is <1ohm, btw) .
please follow the order of my links, and you'll find out yourself:
1- zs5v1 and zs6 impedance curves. zs5v1, mostly flat till mids (~4ohms), and then it raises, reaching 8.5ohms @ 20kHz. zs6 is the opposite: flat till mids (~14ohms), and then it goes down, reaching 7ohms at 11kHz. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1546#post-13774060
2- freq response of the SOURCE, when no load (flat response), and when connecting zs5v1 and zs6. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1546#post-13774060. note that the first graph in that post, shows the FR of the SOURCE output, not the FR of the iems. and you find the SOURCE highs change a lot, and the change responds exactly at the iem impedance (in zs5v1, some highs reach +3.5dB from lows level, in zs6, highs go down -3.5dB). it's a play of impedance interactions.
3- of course, when measuring iems fr (second graph), you find that variation in highs, because source signal is already altered by the mere fact of plugging such devices. if you try iems with flat impedance curve, you'll see that there is not tonal alteration. and if source output impedance is very low, the impedance interaction gets minimized: no tonal alteration.

so, answering to someone's post, nowadays, in the world of BA or hybrid iems, a source with high output impedance (>1ohm) can be considered a bad design. there are powerful sources, well designed, with minimal output impedance.

distortion and clipping occurs soon, when the source output impedance is low, the load/iem impedance is also very low and not too much sensitive (like zs5v1), and the source current limit is low (operational amplifiers current limitation). when applying the needed voltage to get enough volume, the current is much higher with low impedance loads, reaching amplifiers current limits. that's why zs5v1 (extreme low impedance, less sensitivity than zs6) distort sooner than zs6 when using weak sources.

when i tried the impedance adapter, didn't like it either, dunno if the quality of the adapter had something to do there or what.. i prefer an easy simple eq, plus foams, for zs6.

Mar 6, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #28,885 of 64,004

Same problem. I use QKZs foam tips. But still can't get enough bass from the zs6. Bass is not a best side of the zs6. But in everything else - they rock.
it's easy to reach better isolation with foams, and foams help to tame some highs frequencies (resonances). the result is bassier.
but you can try to close inner vent hole (completely, or partially, using tape, for instance), if that vent hole is not occluded with your ear walls yet. if completely closed, you might experience driver flex (then you can punch the tape with a needle, minimal hole, just to avoid the flex).

Mar 6, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #28,886 of 64,004
it's easy to reach better isolation with foams, and foams help to tame some highs frequencies (resonances). the result is bassier.
but you can try to close inner vent hole (completely, or partially, using tape, for instance), if that vent hole is not occluded with your ear walls yet. if completely closed, you might experience driver flex (then you can punch the tape with a needle, minimal hole, just to avoid the flex).
Thank you for your advice, but do you really think that i still didn't try it? :)

Mar 6, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #28,887 of 64,004
Thank you for your advice, but do you really think that i still didn't try it? :)
dunno and didn't know.. remembered some of the fast tweaks and liked to remind them just in case.. i'm plenty satisfied with zs6 bass though, and like to use some eq rather than other methods when needed (faster and easier for me).. but this is my own experience.. i'm sure you have tried everything, keep on it and you'll get success

Mar 6, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #28,888 of 64,004
dunno and didn't know.. remembered some of the fast tweaks and liked to remind them just in case.. i'm plenty satisfied with zs6 bass though, and like to use some eq rather than other methods when needed (faster and easier for me).. but this is my own experience.. i'm sure you have tried everything, keep on it and you'll get success
You're right about the methods of improving sound of the zs6 - I do not argue about this. But i guess that zs6 are simply not a so bassy model as i want. That's all. I like (very like) how it sounds in electronic music. But if i want to find a really bassy model, i have to look for something else. So i'm waiting for a new models from KZ. But i like the zs6 as they are.

P.S. sorry for my english, i'm kinda drunk *_*

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #28,889 of 64,004
You're right about the methods of improving sound of the zs6 - I do not argue about this. But i guess that zs6 are simply not a so bassy model as i want. That's all. I like (very like) how it sounds in electronic music. But if i want to find a really bassy model, i have to look for something else. So i'm waiting for a new models from KZ. But i like the zs6 as they are.

P.S. sorry for my english, i'm kinda drunk *_*

Give the KZ EDR1 a try. It has more bass than the ZS6.

Maybe consider the iBasso IT01 as well.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #28,890 of 64,004
So I got the ZSRs in today, and what you all were saying about the fit is indeed true. The little part in the back that protrudes to fit into your ear is definitely odd, almost painful even. That and the right side seems to be quite a bit less loud than the right. I tested this via messing with levels and switching from left to right. I'm sure they would be a wonderful fit in the ears of some, but for me it's just a total miss. I ordered them through Amazon so I think a return is in order. In the mean time, I have a set of ZST colorfuls coming tomorrow too, so I will test them out to see if they hit my personal tastes better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back