1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. Otto Motor
    Quite an impressive setup for such inexpensive earphones...how does it work on other iems?
    As to your low output impedance: I do understand that the ZS5 generally has very low impedance profile, which benefits from the low output impedance.

As said, I shall try the ZS5 v1 with my dragonfly amp/dac (0.3 ohm output impedance), but my friend still has them. In theory, I should have a similar frequency response as you.

But: out of the box, any iem should not require a complex setup. 95% percent of people run them on their phones (at least when not at home).

And: I have some 50 earphones...impossible to tailor my setup to perfectly match each of them.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  2. mrmoto050
    FiiO F9 Pro

3. Shuikit
    For me...
    ZS3 - great fit
    ZS5 - were too big for me
    ZST - fit was good, but it doesn't seem to go as deep as the ZS3 which I prefer
    ZSR - Good fit, but am finding it difficult to fit silicone tips over the nozzle which is a bit larger than my other KZ. It squashes out the centre part of the tip which takes some of the give out of the tip, it's a bit hard. Foam tips seem okay, but I don't get along with foam tips.

If it were ever possible, then the ZSR in a ZS3 shell would be amazing....

4. oyobass
    By all accounts I have read, the ZST "Pro" is exactly the same as the ZST "colorful" and the ZST "carbon fiber". I have had both, and enjoy them equally.

If you find the ZS3 comfortable, chances are you'll like the fit of the ZSR. I had to sand down the bump facing the ear on the ZS3 to make it fit somewhat comfortably, so I'll probably give the ZSR a pass until the price drops to where I don't mind the possibility of destroying them by modding them.

WalterTorino and HungryPanda like this.
  5. fredhubbard2
    ... struggling to work out how ive got so much audio refinement for £15!....bizarre

6. C2thew
    ^ This. The ZS3's were my first IEMS from KZ and my GO-TO IEMS when I want to isolate the sound as either earplugs or if i'm doing any active sport such as running. They just have the right fit/seal so that the earphones don't fall out of your ear! I now own the KZ ZS6's and while they do have more detail, the ZS6's don't have that magic seal that the ZS3's have. I also noticed that the bass on the ZS3 seems to have the sound that i'm after when I'm working out.

I'm still working on writing a summary on my ZS6 as i've had about a weeks worth of listening to these iems. I just wish that KZ would use the ZS3 housings and just perfect those IEMS with additional drivers for clarity.

DocHoliday likes this.
  7. DocHoliday
    I'll have to order a new ZS5 to see for myself whether or not a new ZS5 differs from ZS5(ii),

but in the meantime.....

My take on the ZS5:
    https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-zs5.22479/reviews#review-19993

hakuzen, CoiL and groucho69 like this.
  8. mbwilson111
    Even though I found the ZS3 to be uncomfortable for me, I am very happy with the fit of my ZSR. I like the sound of both.

groucho69, oyobass and HungryPanda like this.
  9. TikPandora
    Got the ZST today, and I have to say I absolutely love them. The fit, for me at least, is far better without that bump in the back. That, and I also prefer the way that they sound. With the silver upgrade cable these are gonna be little beasts to beat for sure.

10. oyobass
    Good to know. Thanks!

11. Slater
    Keep a eye on tingling/numbness (neuropathy) in your hands caused by the vibrations from the blower.

A friend of mine was a commercial lawn guy and he used a blower about that much and now he has nerve damage from the vibrations.

You can buy special foam padded “vibration-isolating” work gloves that make a huge difference in preventing any hand damage.

12. szyblaszczyk
    Thanks a lot (you and everybody else who helped me to make a decision)! :)

I saw photos of "naked" ZST and they're not going to fit me ear canals for sure.

The question is now how big are ZSR without silicone tips? Are they the same like ZS3?

The next question is: is it worth to pay double price for ZSR? I also need to buy seperate bluetooth module for them (different connector type). What's the sound characteristic compared to KZ ZS3? KZ ZS3 with the same amount of bass (so bassy and with a "punch"!) but a bit more detailed would be something which absolutely fit me!

And the last question :) - are there any cheap silicon/foam tips which are going to be more fitted in ear than stock ones? I tend to lose ZS3 after 1-2 hours of listening because of "oily" inside of my ear canals. :frowning2: Sorry if it sounded a bit disgusting but I clean my ear canals two times a day so it's not about my lack of hygiene. :p It's just skin type I'm afraid as same problems persists with my hair. Anyway... no more details :p any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks!

13. Thumpsy
    I often use a bit of distilled witch hazel on a qtip to clean my ears. It seems to help with oilyness and other skin issues. I'm not a doctor though so please take this with a grain of salt.

14. snip3r77
    Damn good explanation

15. szyblaszczyk