Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 15, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #26,386 of 63,834
Well I am going to be very unhappy when the ones I do have that are silver/white turn green. @Slater will have to come to my house strip and polish all the wires with his little mini polisher and then re-coat them with some new coating that he will invent.

Dec 15, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #26,387 of 63,834
Well I am going to be very unhappy when the ones I do have that are silver/white turn green. @Slater will have to come to my house strip and polish all the wires with his little mini polisher and then re-coat them with some new coating that he will invent.

Consider it done...

Dec 15, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #26,388 of 63,834
This is kind of a normal thing, unfortunately. The heavy duty cable on an older pair of Ultimate Ears started turning green after a few months. Now that they are well over 10 years old, they look pretty awful. Replacements are pretty expensive too, compared to the much nicer KZ cables.

Dec 15, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #26,389 of 63,834
This is kind of a normal thing, unfortunately. The heavy duty cable on an older pair of Ultimate Ears started turning green after a few months. Now that they are well over 10 years old, they look pretty awful. Replacements are pretty expensive too, compared to the much nicer KZ cables.

Some of the things I have with cables that could eventually turn green are attached.

Dec 15, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #26,390 of 63,834
Pretty sure these turn green.

Mine has a hint of green even though I haven't used it for a few months.
You have exactly same cable I linked?

Bass, Mids and Fun.
Also, they're the most tip sensitive IEM's I've heard. Become different IEM's altogether with different tips.
I got mine from GB little time ago. No issues with my pair except uneven placement and shrinking of sound tubes.
And no way they have mids... pretty recessed imho. Tried some tip rolling too but not much difference (I have almost 50 different tips).
The one on the left is much darker green in real life.
Well, the one I linked has no straight connectors. And the one on the right - does Yours have earguide wires?

Anyway, I hope it wont turn green. It does look and feel very nicely done. I guess that`s the thing with soft coating and braiding - not so air-tight covering.

The other MMCX SPOFC cable I have bought from HCK by MPS (logo on jack) is very good quality and about 6-7 months old, no signs of oxidization. Well, it was also 20$ more expensive than this 7$ cable I linked.
Also considerably stiffer coating material used, but still feels soft enough.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #26,391 of 63,834
The element copper undergoes the process of oxidation, if it is exposed to air. Copper metal reacts with oxygen, resulting in the formation of copper oxide which appears green in colour. Copper does not react with water, the outer green layer formed after the oxidation of copper is known as a patina

Unlike other destructive oxidation, the patina acts as a protective layer. This is the reason as to why copper is considered as an important metal, as it is resistant to corrosion. The patina prevents further corrosion of the copper beneath the oxidized layer. http://www.theheadphonecompany.co.uk/news-reviews/blog/why-do-clear-earphone-cables-turn-green.php

Dec 15, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #26,392 of 63,834
Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #26,393 of 63,834

So I just took my ZST Colorfuls out of storage(since I've been using my ZS5s exclusively for a few months now.

Before(early May 2017):
KPCkDoM.png

After(as of 5 minutes ago):
ecK7UUZ.png

Keep in mind that these have been in storage since September '17.

I got mine for $5, but the straight and the angled one versions are basically the same. Some newer ones have come out recently. These models were the first version to come out and are the most common ones.

edit: spoilered pics for better viewability

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #26,394 of 63,834
I received my ES3, and ZST order from GB last night, and the left earpiece in the ZST is very faint, not sure what to expect when i open them up. I will scour the threads, I would imagine @Slater has had something similar to the ZST open.
The ES3 was an impulse buy, i will check them out this weekend.

Let the modding begin!
So far I think I like my ES3 the best out of all the KZs I ordered...enjoy! (they need to be amped btw)

Dec 15, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #26,395 of 63,834
Mine was ordered October 30. Not sure when it came. I am waiting still for a bud from that store but not sure what that order date was.
You and I seem to have a similar style when it comes to these things...I order stuff, put it out of my mind ....then I'm pleasantly surprised when it shows up.

Dec 15, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #26,396 of 63,834
If any of mine ever turn green I will be very upset. How does it even happen? There should not be any air or water getting to the actual wire.
I have a set of Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II...they look F'ing AMAZING......and the wires turned green. If KZ IEM cables not exposed to sweat or the elements turn green...imagine how NOT exposed to sweat or the elements my computer speakers were!
It was a little disappointing....fortunately most of the visual appeal isn't in the wires but in the sub woofer and the satellite speakers

Dec 15, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #26,397 of 63,834
sure just invoke his name thrice, and he pops up and starts doing the flying splits and fixing things...there's a video of it around here somewhere...

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #26,399 of 63,834
Folks, I wanted to let you know that I’m going to be a lot less active with regards to IEMs for the foreseeable future.

I got both ears pierced with Daith piercings last week ago to relieve regular migraine headaches I’ve had since childhood. Besides taking a while to heal up, the piercings severely limit the type of IEMs and earbuds I can wear. Anything “ergonomic” that fills the ear is out or is overly large are a no-go, including things like KZ ZSx series, UiiSii CM5, Magaosi K5, Tiandirenhe TD08, Tinaudio T2, Rose IEMs, any IEM with silicone "ear wings", etc.

Once everything is healed up, I should be able to wear barrel type IEMs (KZ EDR1/2, EDSE, HDS2/3, maybe Xiaomi Pro HD or Piston, etc. And course any headphone is OK (on-ear or over-ear), which I have been using exclusively since the piercing.

I thought long and hard about the decision, and in the end the trade off of having less or no migraines is well worth not being able to wear a huge % of IEMs.

I’ll still be around plenty, maybe just not participating in IEM threads as much unless it’s an IEM I can wear (ie I can’t evaluate an IEM that I can’t physically fit lol).

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #26,400 of 63,834

I got mine from GB little time ago. No issues with my pair except uneven placement and shrinking of sound tubes.
And no way they have mids... pretty recessed imho. Tried some tip rolling too but not much difference (I have almost 50 different tips).

Well, the one I linked has no straight connectors. And the one on the right - does Yours have earguide wires?

Anyway, I hope it wont turn green. It does look and feel very nicely done. I guess that`s the thing with soft coating and braiding - not so air-tight covering.

The other MMCX SPOFC cable I have bought from HCK by MPS (logo on jack) is very good quality and about 6-7 months old, no signs of oxidization. Well, it was also 20$ more expensive than this 7$ cable I linked.
Also considerably stiffer coating material used, but still feels soft enough.

Both of mine did have the earguide wires but removed them due to comfort issues. I am not that bothered about the green as they are so cheap to buy and I prefer them to the standard crappy KZ cable.

I have the fancy silver cable coming ( the one with the chrome ends with red and blue markings ) but not arrived yet, I also have ordered the copper looking cable and the grey ZS5/ZS6 upgrade cable with the transparent ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back