Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 16, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #26,401 of 63,975
Folks, I wanted to let you know that I’m going to be a lot less active with regards to IEMs for the foreseeable future.

I got both ears pierced with Daith piercings last week ago to relieve regular migraine headaches I’ve had since childhood. Besides taking a while to heal up, the piercings severely limit the type of IEMs and earbuds I can wear. Anything “ergonomic” that fills the ear is out, including things like KZ ZS-series for example.

Once everything is healed up, I’ll likely only be able to wear barrel type IEMs (and of course any headphone).

I thought long and hard about the decision, and in the end the trade off of having less or no migraines is well worth not being able to wear a huge % of IEMs.

I’ll still be around plenty, maybe just not participating in IEM threads as much unless it’s an IEM I can wear (ie I can’t evaluate an IEM that I can’t physically fit lol).

I had to google that. Wow that looks painful. I hope it works. I guess buds would be out as well. When your ears feel better you should treat yourself to some comfy new headphones.

Dec 16, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #26,402 of 63,975
I had to google that. Wow that looks painful. I hope it works. I guess buds would be out as well. When your ears feel better you should treat yourself to some comfy new headphones.

I’ve never pierced or tattooed anything on my body, so I had no idea what to expect. It hurt pretty bad while they were doing it (because apparently cartilage piercings hurt more than say your earlobes), but 15 minutes later it felt fine except minor soreness.

I can say with certainty that it hurt a heck of a lot less than the pain from a migraine (30+ years of weekly migraines, each lasting 1-2 days of feeling like your head is being crushed in a vice while simultaneously your eyeballs are being stomped on by an elephant).

And I haven’t had a single migraine since the piercing (knock on wood)!

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #26,403 of 63,975
I’ve never pierced or tattooed anything on my body, so I had no idea what to expect. It hurt pretty bad while they were doing it (because apparently cartilage piercings hurt more than say your earlobes), but 15 minutes later it felt fine except minor soreness.

I can say with certainty that it hurt a heck of a lot less than the pain from a migraine (30+ years of 1-3 days of feeling like your head and eyeballs are being crushed in a vice and repeatedly stomped on by an elephant).

And I haven’t had a single migraine since the piercing (knock on wood)!

Sorry to hear about that hope you get well soon.

Don't worry Slater, when the ZSR is available I will get on that ASAP!

Dec 16, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #26,404 of 63,975
Folks, I wanted to let you know that I’m going to be a lot less active with regards to IEMs for the foreseeable future.

I got both ears pierced with Daith piercings last week ago to relieve regular migraine headaches I’ve had since childhood. Besides taking a while to heal up, the piercings severely limit the type of IEMs and earbuds I can wear. Anything “ergonomic” that fills the ear is out, including things like KZ ZS-series for example.

Once everything is healed up, I’ll likely only be able to wear barrel type IEMs (and of course any headphone).

I thought long and hard about the decision, and in the end the trade off of having less or no migraines is well worth not being able to wear a huge % of IEMs.

I’ll still be around plenty, maybe just not participating in IEM threads as much unless it’s an IEM I can wear (ie I can’t evaluate an IEM that I can’t physically fit lol).
Hope you heal up soon

Dec 16, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #26,405 of 63,975

100% the right choice.

Dec 16, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #26,406 of 63,975

I got both ears pierced with Daith piercings last week ago to relieve regular migraine headaches I’ve had since childhood. Besides taking a while to heal up, the piercings severely limit the type of IEMs and earbuds I can wear. Anything “ergonomic” that fills the ear is out or is overly large are a no-go, including things like KZ ZSx series, UiiSii CM5, Magaosi K5, Tiandirenhe TD08, Tinaudio T2, Rose IEMs, any IEM with silicone "ear wings", etc.

Once everything is healed up, I should be able to wear barrel type IEMs (KZ EDR1/2, EDSE, HDS2/3, maybe Xiaomi Pro HD or Piston, etc. And course any headphone is OK (on-ear or over-ear), which I have been using exclusively since the piercing.

I used to get migraines and they are truely aweful ...any relief you can get I'm glad for you.
So.....now you'll probably want to send along all those useless IEMs to me so I can carry on the mantle of taking things apart and whatnot...should I just PM you my physical address?

Dec 16, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #26,407 of 63,975
I used to get migraines and they are truely aweful ...any relief you can get I'm glad for you.
So.....now you'll probably want to send along all those useless IEMs to me so I can carry on the mantle of taking things apart and whatnot...should I just PM you my physical address?

Not so fast.... I bet in 6 months he will be able to wear them. :)

Dec 16, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #26,408 of 63,975
Not so fast.... I bet in 6 months he will be able to wear them. :)

Haha, we'll see how things go.

Dec 16, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #26,409 of 63,975
Never had a headache except for bruises and such so cannot relate. Worst I've had is shingles which for me at least felt like repeated stabbing, so if it's roughly equivalent on a pain scale I can sympathize.

Here's hoping it's a permanent fix

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #26,410 of 63,975

I got both ears pierced with Daith piercings last week ago to relieve regular migraine headaches I’ve had since childhood. Besides taking a while to heal up, the piercings severely limit the type of IEMs and earbuds I can wear. Anything “ergonomic” that fills the ear is out or is overly large are a no-go, including things like KZ ZSx series, UiiSii CM5, Magaosi K5, Tiandirenhe TD08, Tinaudio T2, Rose IEMs, any IEM with silicone "ear wings", etc.

Once everything is healed up, I should be able to wear barrel type IEMs (KZ EDR1/2, EDSE, HDS2/3, maybe Xiaomi Pro HD or Piston, etc. And course any headphone is OK (on-ear or over-ear), which I have been using exclusively since the piercing.

Sorry to hear about your trouble with migraines. Thank you for all your many contributions to the IEM community. You are a legendary figure around here and will be missed.
I am very happy you have found relief for the headaches. Some of the migraine sufferers I know have become virtual hermits since developing them, including my sister.
Thanks again for your help and information. I have learned a lot from you.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #26,411 of 63,975
So far I think I like my ES3 the best out of all the KZs I ordered...enjoy! (they need to be amped btw)
Thanks for that, i will be charging up my fiio to take a listen tomorrow.
I kind of put the zst on the side for now, seems like GB is catching up my orders from November. My envelope yesterday brought my ZS6, and a couple non KZ, my ears are in heaven.

Dec 17, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #26,412 of 63,975

Oh my... that`s why You haven`t posted Your mods on IEM mods thread. But You still can post the ones You have done previously!
Hope You heal fast and be able to wear any shape IEM again.

Btw, I`m kinda "out" also for a while because I have left ear infection from being ill.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #26,413 of 63,975
Just received my ZS6 from GB, so far so good, like it a lots. Do some simple freq sweep through and it able to generate sound even as low as 10Hz then uptill ~13kHz (my old ears can't hear a thing after) LOL. And yes the "S" effect do obviously heard but I do recommend whoever owned this unit please take note to disable all your EQ setting when using this earbuds as most of the EQ profile (that ppls normally selected for their previous headphone) mostly "V" format to boost those old headphone which don't have specific BA for the high pitch and good DD for bass as after I turn off the EQ the "S" effect seem not too obvious or I can said just sufficient to get all the sound clarity without the obvious "S" effect. ZS6 really perform very good in the bass region even with a flat EQ.

Overall I'm very satisfy with the ZS6 and bang for buck for just USD19.99 from GB... :)
sorry but couldnt resist to ask..how did you get it for 19.99?..

Dec 17, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #26,415 of 63,975
would like to know..my kz zs6 sound not balance between left and right..not sure if this was due to my ear?..but i need to move the EQ 1 step to the right for it to sound in the middle..if not..it sound like the it more louder on the left..maybe replacing the wire will solve this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back