K701 thread
Oct 10, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #1,831 of 2,619
So just bought the Q701 because there was a great deal at my school and I am getting rid of my HD800s and wanted something to replace them.  

Do any of you have any concrete evidence of sonic differences between these products?  I have heard the Q iteration is essentially the same aside from the replacement cable option which I love.  I always upgrade my cables, any suggestions for this one in particular?  I wish it had more sub-bass but I think if I find the correct amp it will.  Right now I have been using the PB1 but am upgrading to the PB2 and an assortment of other portables but it sounds great in my home rig.  However, the Green cable is getting annoying.... 

Thanks guys, and apologies if this has been asked before lol; it has been a while since I was an avid head-fier, at least 6 months until recently so I am little outta da game so to speak.....

Oct 10, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #1,832 of 2,619
So just bought the Q701 because there was a great deal at my school and I am getting rid of my HD800s and wanted something to replace them.  

Do any of you have any concrete evidence of sonic differences between these products?  I have heard the Q iteration is essentially the same aside from the replacement cable option which I love.  I always upgrade my cables, any suggestions for this one in particular?  I wish it had more sub-bass but I think if I find the correct amp it will.  Right now I have been using the PB1 but am upgrading to the PB2 and an assortment of other portables but it sounds great in my home rig.  However, the Green cable is getting annoying.... 

Thanks guys, and apologies if this has been asked before lol; it has been a while since I was an avid head-fier, at least 6 months until recently so I am little outta da game so to speak.....

For deep bass try using a solid state desktop amp with a low output impedance.
The low output impedance will tighten up the bass and a desktop amp will have a lower low frequency cut off point to help you get your deep bass.:cool:

For example: the Matrix M Stage, not too expensive and works well with K70x series.

Oct 10, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #1,833 of 2,619
Right now I am using my MacBook Pro with SSD to Cynosure USB to Sonicweld Diverter which converts to SPDIF to Zodiac + DAC to my Lisa III or CAD-300SEI and the sound is amazing.  I am looking for something that will help my portable rig.  Source WhipMOD for now but I have a bunch of different amps and sources, I am kinda over-geared up so to speak lol.  

Just finished watching Sucker Punch and it was unreal, never thought the Q701 would sound this good.  I am drooling in anticipation to re-create this at least somewhat I mean I know home rigs always sound the best but what do you guys recommend for portable?  Say using a WhipMOD or any other Apple Product + Solo for newest generations.  THx

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #1,834 of 2,619
So I got my DAC1 for the K701s. Clearer than my xonar DX, and the channel seperation feels tighter. 
I was a little underwhelmed at first, because I couldn't think of something definitive to playback.
So I let it roll through a few of my favourite aritsts and i'm in love with it now.

Problem is, I don't think there is much difference between the CanAmp and the DAC1's HPA. I posted on another forum that:
"Transients possibly sound near sibilant. Bass maybe a little louder/boomer", with the CanAmp. Its a little hard to make distinctions between the two due to having to swap jacks, flip from calibrated to variable on the DAC1 and match levels.

Think i'll sell the CanAmp and buy some IEMs, like Shure's SE325 or the Senn IE8.

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #1,835 of 2,619

o2smile.gif

Quote:
http://www.pelpix.info/GlissEQ_k702rev5.zip
A minor edit to the profile.

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #1,837 of 2,619
I'm also a new owner - picked up a basically new pair from another forum member. Sounding pretty good through my Steinberg MR816X headphone out, but I have a Lyr on the way - should be here Friday.  Decision on a new source will wait till I see how good the Steinberg sounds through a good amp.
 Decided to go with the K701s after - somewhat surprisingly - the Orthos and big-rigs at RMAF failed to blow me away.  So far, so good - I think the signature will work well for the genres that I listen to.

Oct 27, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #1,838 of 2,619
Got my Q701 in today and since they're basically the same, I'll post this here..

Probably my imagination, but this Q701 seems a little warmer than the old K702 I had. Not as much as the K601 or even close. About an hour in and no fatiguing treble yet.
I paid about $224 for them as Like New from Amazon warehouse deals and they're were not even opened. Box just had a huge dent in it.

Only other difference seems that the soundstage is a bit smaller, but I'll need to do testing. That simple badge on the outside could change the sound a bit or make the soundstage smaller somewhat.

Right now minor differences, but so far so good. I also wonder if the cable is different than the one included with the K702? I wonder if anyone has tried the Q701 cable with the K702?

These headphones sure don't try to do anything to make my music sound good. I like it! A little more more forgiving than my DT-770 600 I got in last week.

Not as thin sounding as my K601.

BTW right now I'm not really noticing any extra bass, but I don't care. I bought it expecting it to be a clone of the K701/K702 and it's the same price or close.

I missed the K702 for gaming and ambient music and I hate the comfort of my DT-770. K702 is the only headphones that's open, super comfortable and close to being a detail monster. DT-880 doesn't play well with my head unfortunately and HD-600 kind of annoys me in some ways. Always sounded kind of muffled.

We'll see how these hold up to my K501/K601 and DT-770. Hopefully they're a keeper.

Oct 28, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #1,839 of 2,619
really interested about your comparison to K501, I had K701 and I ever got loan K501, and I think I prefer K501

yes, talk about transparation, detail and separation, I think K701 is in higher league, but the little lack in midrange focus and slight piercing treble make me prefer K501. 

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #1,845 of 2,619
I'm a big fan of the original K701s, which offer(ed) a great performamce/£ ratio, excellent comfort and a nice alternative to the ubiquitous Sennheisers.  On top of which, the look (IMO) that bit different.

I can't say I get the justification for the price hike for the K702s of Quincy Jones versions, as I just don't think they really give much (if anythung) more for quite a bit more cash.

I would like another pair of cans just as an alternative so will be looking very closely at the K550s when they come out, as a decent closed 'phone would be good for time when I don't want to be disturbed or to disturb others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back